Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243390 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
because I would never have picked them up if I had seen the tv show first.

Why?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Seachelle

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #301 on: April 20, 2009, 02:10:19 PM »
Actually oddly enough I got into the Greywalker series by fluke on our vacation. My boyfriend wanted to suprise me so he went to the bookstore to find the next book in her series and could only find "Mean Streets." He bought it and "Storm Front" in case I found that I enjoyed "The Warrior" and ensured me there was an entire series of books written by him. I not only enjoyed them I devoured them. I then noticed the "tag" on the front of my book " As seen on Sci Fi" and wasted no time jumping on Hulu and watching all of the episodes. I then of course went to check for some source for season two only to find that the show was cancelled. I for one have seen some of the garbage carried by Sci Fi and am wondering (as I am obviously not the only one) why on earth did they cancel it and where can I go to get the answer to the many question I have left behind. That led me to this site. I am not one to go in for protests but, if there is anything I do to try and help get this series back I would love know!  ;)

Offline Seachelle

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 20, 2009, 02:38:08 PM »
I will admit I read "Storm Front" first then watched it on Hulu and the entire plot was different. I was flipping through the pages and scratching my head most of the time.

Offline haroos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Why?

well ...
in the last few years there have been quite alot of vamps, comics and other action tv shows, some of them are not all that bad.
I saw parts of the tv show, and it just wasn't good.
although, it was hard to see the changes done to characters.
bob being a human ghost or something.
I always pictured him as a voice coming from a ghost with eyes that shine whenever he is "on".
morgan being on something of a strict c.o. with dresden instead of a nemesis.
I didn't like it.

add to it, the scene in small favor when harry electrocuted that fallen angel with an electric cord, if you realy think about it, it all took place in 2 seconds, but in the book it was a page of fun action.
you can't take books into tv shows without real effort and probably alot of money to back it.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 21, 2009, 07:39:47 PM »
The first thing I ever read of JB's was actually Furies of Calderon, and that was just something that caught my eye on a borders shelf.  I finished it and liked it, but AF wasnt out yet so I lost track of it.  I had heard of TDF but didnt make the connection that it was the same author.  I never picked it up because I wasnt big on urban fantasy and the last one I had tried was Anita Blake which soured me to the whole genre.  Then my roommate starts raving about this book series hes fallen in love with (WN had just come out) and I had heard there was a show. So I got online and found some back eps of the DF tv show and liked it for its snarky noir feel.  Then I got copies of the DF series, and read the nine books out at the time in 6 days. Been in love with the series ever since.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline skooby8o5x

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 21, 2009, 07:54:03 PM »
I happened to walk into my local library an saw proven guilty and read the rest of the books coming from there not nowing there was other books so debating if I should go back and read them from storm front been hooked on the book ever since

Offline Alabaster

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 23, 2009, 05:06:24 PM »
I found the books because of the series I am ashamed to say :-\.  I had heard of Jim but hadn't read any of his work.  I saw the "based on" thing on the series credits and bought the  first 5 books at my local waldens.  Within 4 days I had them read, and I went back and bought the next 4, waited impatiently for the next to come out and promptly bought it the day it came out, lol.  Since then I have reread them all twice and have had to repurchase many of them because they became casualties in my war to get everyone to read them, lol. 

I prefere to think that I found the author because of the show though, because I fell in love with the Alera books as well. 

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
well ...
in the last few years there have been quite alot of vamps, comics and other action tv shows, some of them are not all that bad.
I saw parts of the tv show, and it just wasn't good.
although, it was hard to see the changes done to characters.
bob being a human ghost or something.
I always pictured him as a voice coming from a ghost with eyes that shine whenever he is "on".
morgan being on something of a strict c.o. with dresden instead of a nemesis.
I didn't like it.

add to it, the scene in small favor when harry electrocuted that fallen angel with an electric cord, if you realy think about it, it all took place in 2 seconds, but in the book it was a page of fun action.
you can't take books into tv shows without real effort and probably alot of money to back it.

*confused* So how does this make it so you wouldn't have picked up the books if you had seen the show first? Or was that a misstatement?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline MBH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 23, 2009, 08:28:37 PM »
Shecky... he means that he didn't like the show and therefore if he saw the show first he wouldn't have read the books. Which personally, seems like a silly idea to me. Books are always better than the movies/tv shows that are based on them.
"Life is loneliness, broken only by the gods taunting us with friendship and the odd bonk." ~ FOOL, Christopher Moore

~Amanda~

Offline OrangeWolf

• Participant
  • Coffee, Coke, and Beer -- Drinkage Staples?
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 23, 2009, 11:27:23 PM »
Is it just me, or does the poll in this section not offer a "No, I read the books first" option?  I could be reading one of them wrong.
Current Favorite Dresden Files Quote:  "The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault."

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 24, 2009, 01:59:47 AM »
holy crap it took us 31 pages to realize that?? ???
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline som1luvsmi

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 25, 2009, 01:54:54 AM »
Actually oddly enough I got into the Greywalker series by fluke on our vacation. My boyfriend wanted to suprise me so he went to the bookstore to find the next book in her series and could only find "Mean Streets." He bought it and "Storm Front" in case I found that I enjoyed "The Warrior" and ensured me there was an entire series of books written by him. I not only enjoyed them I devoured them. I then noticed the "tag" on the front of my book " As seen on Sci Fi" and wasted no time jumping on Hulu and watching all of the episodes. I then of course went to check for some source for season two only to find that the show was cancelled. I for one have seen some of the garbage carried by Sci Fi and am wondering (as I am obviously not the only one) why on earth did they cancel it and where can I go to get the answer to the many question I have left behind. That led me to this site. I am not one to go in for protests but, if there is anything I do to try and help get this series back I would love know!  ;)

I actually started reading the books first (I read the entire series up to Turn Coat in about a week) and was excited to learn there had been a TV show. So, I, too, went to HULU and watched the show. I was suuuuuper disappointed. There was so much to work with there, but I just wasn't feeling it. I'm totally up for a revamping, though.

Offline CCB5Dresdenfan1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 26, 2009, 04:41:33 AM »
Hello all, been quite some time since I was here. I did discover the books because of the TV show, and when I first did, I went through the first 9 in 2 months time. I kind of lost heart because they never renewed what I felt was a great show,, I have lost many shows I thought worthy. But, yes, I did, and Jim is some kind of writer. Congrats on being Number 1 in the Times list, wonderful!!!

Offline Lunay

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 28, 2009, 08:33:56 PM »
I was in a bookstore and picked up his book and read the back of it and thought it sounded good and now I am hook. I love his Dresden books.

Offline sbear

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 11, 2009, 02:20:36 PM »
 :o
I got into the books after seeing the tv show and I'm not ashamed to say it!  Granted, the show was nowhere near as good as the books, but it was fantasy writing that left the cliches behind.  Besides, it was a lot better than anything else on tv at the time.  I couldn't believe they didn't renew the series.  Shortly after this, I noticed Jim Butcher's name and started with one from the library.   Our library system has no more, so  I have slowly been getting the audiobooks.  They're great for times when eyes are tired but mind is not, or when you have something mindless to do and need some amusement.  At this point I have all but two of the audiobooks, which is great!  You get the imagination of Jim Butcher, the adventures of Harry Dresden, and the voice of James Marsters-----how could anybody complain?