Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243425 times)

Offline Roisin

• Participant
  • Professional slacker
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2009, 05:45:13 PM »
no, I was browsing my library and they were small, black, and there were lots of them, so I read the little bio thingy and checked one out and bacame addicted. only problem is i started with Dead Beat and didn't understand some of it...lol!
Far out! My initiation into Jim Butcherland was almost identical to yours. I picked up Dead Beat at the library and was so impressed I bought every Dresden book I could find and have just finished Back Up...impatiently waiting for this years offering  ;D

I'm quite an anti-fan of books being made into tv programmes or movies - I get totally obsessive about the details...I'm that really annoying person who sits in the cinema going "Helloooo?! His hair is meant to be brown!!" Ha ha! So, even though I love the books, I shan't watch the series. 
What goes around comes around...

Offline Melchsee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 07, 2009, 03:48:09 AM »
My entrance into the series was kind of weird. I recall seeing one preview for the series back when I still got Sci-Fi, but never got around to seeing it. Then my uncle recommended the series to me later on, though even then I didn't take up his recommendation. Then a month or two ago I was in B&N browsing and noticed the series and decided to dive in after the summary on the back of book one sounded interesting.

I don't know if I'll ever see the series myself. I can be open to changes, though some of the ones I have read about irk me to some degree.

Offline Captain of the Za Lord's Guard

• Participant
  • I have my reasons. Also raisins. Delicious raisins
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 09, 2009, 11:39:47 PM »
So, I saw the first ep, loved it, then had to look it up online, and discovered (to my endless delight) that it was a book series! I picked them up, and now I'm a complete and utter addict. I'd personally be curious to know how many times everyone had read and re-read the books...not that I've read them what some would say an exhorbitant number of times...of course...)  :-X
"It's not my fault!"-Harry Dresden and Han Solo.
Longtime lurker, infrequent poster. ;D

Offline solo414

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Facebook!
« Reply #273 on: February 10, 2009, 03:19:59 AM »
I'm on my third re-read of the series right now.  Just finishing Grave Peril.
I Survived the Unseelie Incursion of 1994.

Offline Imnothere

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 10, 2009, 03:37:52 AM »
working thru my 3rd rereading atm I am on BR
Fiends Foiled, Monsters Mangled, Vampires Vanquished, Demons Demolished

Offline WolverLini

• Participant
  • My favorite Black Council actress? Dorosh Day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 19, 2009, 01:05:26 PM »
I don't fit in any of the categories.  I vaguely heard about the show in Sci Fi, but never watched it.  I saw Storm Front and Fool Moon at my grocer's and picked them up there, then went to my local bookstore for more.
The WolverLini

Nil desperandum!

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 19, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
Harry was one of the more popular candidates in a "who would make a good crossover charachter" at Kelley's forum. Someone made a strong recommendation and shortly after that the TVseries appeared on youtube. (Hasn't been aired in my part of the world yet...)

I think I read much of the then-published series in a row after that, but the details are foggy. Somehow I managed to be on Dead Beat when Many Bloody Returns was published...
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.

Offline Thomas Ryder

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 01, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »
I was in Waterstone's looking for something to read around the B section and came across The Dresden Files.  I liked the idea of supernatural modern day setting so picked up the first one... went back the next day and picked up 2 more and by the end of the week had the first 6. :D  Pretty addictive reading.

Offline Vijay

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 01, 2009, 08:06:37 PM »
Watched the show and was introduced to the books by a local mystery book store where Jim was appearing.  I just stopped by, he was great, I bought a couple of books and have I've enjoyed everything Jim's written.

Offline *V*

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 03, 2009, 06:13:08 PM »
I'm new to reading Jim Butcher.  A friend at work lent me Storm Front and Furies of Calderdon (which I've only just started).  I was hooked on Harry Dresden only a couple chapters in.  I have never seen the series and hadn't even heard of it.  My friend has the entire Dresden series and says he'll let me read them all.

Offline Infamous as Elle!

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 03, 2009, 06:34:24 PM »
Lucky ducky....however, once you read them, you'll want copies of your own!

Signed even!
[Insert Exceeding Clever And Snappy Quote Here.]

Awesomesauce is the new ketchup!  It goes with everything good!

Offline talktotheHand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 04, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »
Very similar to V I was told by a friend to read the series. twice actually before I actually did. now I have everything (except TC and the omnibus editions) published to date for dresden
I see you're playing stupid again... Looks like you're winning too.   -anonymous
Power Corrupts, absolute power...Is actually kinda cool.

Offline LadyKayoss

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 05, 2009, 01:25:32 AM »
Hmm, none of these choices apply.  A friend of mine had been nagging me to try the series for awhile, effusively praising it and telling me I'd love it, but I'm the kind of person who, the more I'm pushed, the more I resist.  Even when my friend tends to be right.

I didn't meet Harry until I read My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding's 'Something Borrowed.'  I was completely clueless, and didn't really give the story another thought.  (Heresy, I know...)

Then, last year, I was combing through my library's teeny selection of fiction (85% romance, yech...) and found Fool Moon and Grave Peril.  I'm hesitant to start a series on the second book, but the first one wasn't even available through interlibrary loan, so I didn't have much choice.

And I'm a werewolf nut.  So I figured it wouldn't hurt to give Fool Moon a shot. 

By the end of that day, I was hooked.  The only thing that prevented me from going back for Grave Peril is that the library was closed for the weekend.  I've been a loyal fan ever since.

starjump

« Reply #283 on: March 05, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »
I stumbled across the show while channel hopping  :) Then to my dismay learned that it had been cancelled  >:(

I remembered that in the credits the show was based on stories by a certain 'Jim Butcher'

So thought, lets give one of the books a whirl started with Storm Front ...next thing you know I had bought every Dresden Files book  ;D... the short stories....Backup...and the audio versions when I found out who the reader was (I adore James Marsters and had met him at a Buffy/Angel Con a few years previously)...found the web site - lurked around the forums A LOT! and now I am an addict waiting for my next fix :D

Offline Lynex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 14, 2009, 04:59:09 PM »
Actually I saw that my aunt had the books, she lend Storm  Front to me. After reading that one I could not put the books down. I'm reading Whit Night right now. I saw the T.V show after reading the books. I cant stand the T.V show.
"It isn't good to hold on too hard to the past.You can't spend your whole life looking back. Not even when you can't see what lies ahead. All you can do is keep on keeping on, and try to beleive that tomorrow will be what it should be-even if it isn't what you expected."