Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243401 times)

Offline keltoi

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #225 on: May 09, 2008, 03:14:54 PM »
Who hoo! my first post!

I'd heard of them from a friend, but hadn't read them.
I watched the show and enjoyed it, but hadn't read the books.
  ::)
Then my SF/Fantasty book group picked the theme (we pick themes to read on instead of a single book)
"The high price of magic" and so I read Storm Front. That was in March of this year (2008) and I've just finished Winter Night. Love 'em!

keltoi

Offline fyrefay52

• Participant
  • He makes magic sing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 09, 2008, 05:51:55 PM »
Dear keltoi,
HI!! ;D  Welcome to our motley merry band of mischief!!  :P
I'm glad you love the books--so do I.
And can I infer that you love the Celts as well??? I looove the Celts.  Anything and everything about them, including traditional and contemporary Celtic music...
Conas ta tu??
(How are you, in Irish...)
Hugs, Tina
Live, love, laugh, learn...

Offline coughcool

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2008, 07:16:58 PM »
I discovered Jim Butcher on my own. Before the TV series came out. I like the books much better. But I was sad to see that the show wasn't picked up for a second season.

Offline Snod

• Participant
  • Lust and need murdered my reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 11, 2008, 12:52:16 AM »
I discovered Jim Butcher on my own. Before the TV series came out. I like the books much better. But I was sad to see that the show wasn't picked up for a second season.

Too good for the sci-fi network anyways.

Offline tanjer1588

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 30, 2008, 12:27:41 AM »
Hey there guys :D, very much new here and this is my first post :D. I found jim back when blood rights was comeing out, my ex girlfriend had summer knight and wanted the first books, so i bought them for her but read them first, when i got storm from i read it all in one sitting was tottaly shocked at how good it was so i was hooked :D i ended up buying all of them for her by the time blood rights came out. I read every one before i gave them too her and have been up to par on all the books so far :D i just finished small favor last night. I cant wait for the next one. I was lucky cus i found the books right before the show came out, but i seen maybe a total of 6 mins of the show and wanted to cry cus harry looked nothing like he dose in my head (in my head his head is kinda square) and bob was not bob... so them two things threw me off from wanting to watch it... they changed to much of the stuff i love about it.

Offline DresdenFan81

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 13, 2008, 06:40:03 AM »
I did start to get into them because of the show. After I read the first one, I tried to watch the show, but could not get into it. The books are SO much better. I love these books so much. ^_^ Its hard to pick a favorite...but probably Fool Moon. After that I was hooked. I really enjoyed Storm Front, but Fool Moon made me love the series. Summer Knight helped too. :) I've read them all except Small Favor, but I have started it. :)

There's so much in these books that I love. I love Harry first and foremost. He's so cool. ;D I love how he uses magic and how his whole universe works. I really love the vampires in this universe. They're all different and interesting. There aren't too many characters in this series I hate. Maybe Susan. She bugs me. I am glad she hasn't been in the last few books.

I apologize for fanboying all over the place, I just don't have that many friends who read these awesome books. ^_^

Offline gertiekeddle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 16, 2008, 04:02:07 PM »
I miss an option saying 'Discovered the books before the TV series was started' in the poll. :lol:

I'm confident the series was planned already when I discovered the series, but I had read some books already when I heard of the TV thingy. I don't think I had watched the the TV series actually without knowing the books, it's not the other way round.
That was black magic and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos.

Offline Bobsbuddy

• Participant
  • Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2008, 08:39:57 AM »
I miss an option saying 'Discovered the books before the TV series was started' in the poll. :lol:

Me to gertiekeddle
I didn't know anything about the Dresden Files before I picked up Harry (so to speak) ;) in the Sci-Fi section of Borders whilst looking for something 'different'. And boy wasn't he!
I haven't seen the TV series having only 'peasant TV' that doesn't give me the channel the series in on. I have seen stills and I have to say my image of Harry and that of the TV producers doesn't jibe. :-\ So for now I'll stick with the books and my twisted imagination...it seems to work best..
Why is there only one word for thesuarus?

Offline Lord Raith

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 18, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »
 I had all the books done before watching the shows but the shows were my wife's first time to know Dresden. She hates SF but loves me so it works it's self out

Offline anthro7

• Participant
  • thrives on praise
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2008, 05:14:33 AM »
I'm not overly happy with the voting options.

I passed a large cardboard display for the Dresden books in a store and stopped to see what new SciFi Channel crap they were promoting shamelessly. (Since "Coming soon! To Scifi!" was plastered all over it.)

Upon reading the backs of the books that were there, I had a good laugh and decided these were worth looking into. I couldn't find any info on the show at the time, but it stayed in the back of my mind. A few months later, I came across an episode halfway through and Harry was having a conversation with Bob. I liked actor-Bob. So I went back to the bookstore and picked up a volume.

Somewhere along the line I got my hands on a copy of the TV show, but I have to say I'm a little less than impressed with it. I like the actors, sure. And the show itself is as good as the next Supernatural type show. But it seemed too canned to me. Nicholas Cage was in charge of it, wasn't he? I did hear that somewhere? I would have expected more from him...
I have a signature, it looks like a star... but you can't see it. Harharhar.

Offline Franziska

• Conversationalist
  • fortuna imperatrix mundi
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2008, 01:53:39 PM »
When I first read a Dresden book I didn't even know about the series. I was at Rome's station looking for something to read during a rather long journey and I casually chose White nights. Well, I must say, I got hooked at once. Wonderful reading and smashing characters. Never saw the tv series, though. Maybe I will, but I don't want to spoil my own Dresden image, I've been growing sooo fond of it... ;)
Fama di loro il mondo esser non lassa/misericordia e giustizia li sdegna/non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa

Offline gertiekeddle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 23, 2008, 09:16:55 PM »
I haven't seen the TV series having only 'peasant TV' that doesn't give me the channel the series in on. I have seen stills and I have to say my image of Harry and that of the TV producers doesn't jibe. :-\ So for now I'll stick with the books and my twisted imagination...it seems to work best..
Yay, it's not really the same for me either. But then I guess we both can say it was not the Series that converted us to Dresden addicts. :lol:
That was black magic and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos.

Offline lost girl

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 24, 2008, 09:00:39 AM »
I hadn't heard of The Dresden Files until I stumbled on the TV show. When I found out it was cancelled I hunted down the books, hoping they would be as good, and surprise! They were even better, way better! I still get a bit confused how I picture certain characters who appear different in the show and the books, usually a bit of a mixture!  Harry is Harry, and I really liked the actress who played Murphy, even though her physical description isn't like the book Murphy. I am interested to know, those who watched the TV show first - how do you picture the characters when you read the book?

Offline anthro7

• Participant
  • thrives on praise
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 25, 2008, 03:19:37 AM »
 :D I think the only character who's appearance stays the same in me head between tv-version and book version is Ancient Mai. Morgan's different, Murphy's different, Dresden's even a little different (I think book Dresden might be cuter).

Oh, and Bianca, even though she was short-lived.
I have a signature, it looks like a star... but you can't see it. Harharhar.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 25, 2008, 01:23:49 PM »
I'm not overly happy with the voting options.

I passed a large cardboard display for the Dresden books in a store and stopped to see what new SciFi Channel crap they were promoting shamelessly. (Since "Coming soon! To Scifi!" was plastered all over it.)

Upon reading the backs of the books that were there, I had a good laugh and decided these were worth looking into. I couldn't find any info on the show at the time, but it stayed in the back of my mind. A few months later, I came across an episode halfway through and Harry was having a conversation with Bob. I liked actor-Bob. So I went back to the bookstore and picked up a volume.

Somewhere along the line I got my hands on a copy of the TV show, but I have to say I'm a little less than impressed with it. I like the actors, sure. And the show itself is as good as the next Supernatural type show. But it seemed too canned to me. Nicholas Cage was in charge of it, wasn't he? I did hear that somewhere? I would have expected more from him...

Your situation isn't included in the voting options because this thread wasn't intended for people who found the books first - think about the options that ARE offered by the poll and that becomes clear.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.