Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243390 times)

Offline lissyloo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #195 on: March 20, 2008, 03:34:51 AM »
 I'm new here. Thought I would drop in & see what's happening. I'm in Columbia, MO.
 I have been reading SF/FF for 20+ years. When the Dresden files showed up on TV, I was hooked! I didn't realize there were books out there though! Duh! Well now I'm reading them as soon as they hit paperback (I read too many authors to buy hardback). I'm waiting for the 4th Furies book too.   Lissyloo

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 21, 2008, 04:25:57 PM »
(Psst - Lissy, check your private messages.)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Satalite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 22, 2008, 09:40:46 PM »
I found out about the books after the ads for the show came out saying they were based on the books. Loved the show and was waiting for the next season to start when I found out that it had been canceled. I was crushed. Sort of forgot about the book side off it until I was looking for something to read. Thats when Harry popped into my head again.

Bought the first 3 books and read until I ran out. Bought the next 3 and so on. Just started White Night and will be buying the new one soon.

Glad I found the TV show, the books, and now you guys.

GO Harry!  ;)

Offline Sifu

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2008, 03:49:53 PM »
I read the books before watching the show on SciFi.  I was really excited when SciFi announced the show.  :)

Offline Mister Mxyzptlk

• Participant
  • Tap... Tap... Is this thing on? Hello...
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2008, 05:44:02 PM »
How about a "The show blew chunks so I had no intrest until my wife found a short story in one of her other books, she read them and then adicted me to them" option?
I seem to be trapped somehow...

Offline MadMonica

• Participant
  • Where's a guy like Harry when we need him?
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2008, 01:15:42 PM »
I agree with Darklost 76. That was me. I mostly lurk on the boards here as I do on other forums for other authors until I realllllly get comfortable with the group. But I found Harry through my mother. About three months before she died I was forced to quit the job I thought I'd do for the rest of my life thanks to illness. She knew I was down about the whole deal on top of feeling crappy health wise so she sent me a box of books which truly changed my life. That sounds dumb, but it's true. That box had four Dresden Files books in it including Storm Front, Summer Night and I can't remember the other two. It also had books by Kim Harrison and Charlaine Harris in it. It was like that box was a gift from my mother to give me something to do to keep me from losing my mind. Because when she died three months later, I took my Dresden books and Kim Harrison books with me when I went to say goodbye to her. They were almost like talismans for me. This sounds so stupid.. but its true.

Reading those books gave me something other than my pain and grief to look forward to. And even though the pain therapy is going better and I'm slowly getting used to life without my mom, I still rely on Harry and the gang to cheer me up when times are bad. The show was like that for me too. I'd be deep in a funk on a Sunday morning, barely able to get out of bed, and realize it was Dresden night. I still couldn't get out of bed most times, but I sure had a grin on my face while I bitched about  hurting! *snickers at her own silliness*

Anyhow, enough of my sob story. I just wanted to relate my own experience with this series. And to let ya'll know I've infected at least three others with Harrymania! *very proud*

LONG LIVE THE DRESDEN FILES !!!(I love the Codex Alera books, too, but Harry has my heart and always will. *sheepish grin*)

Mad Mad Monica

All hail the Warrior Wizard!
Long Live the Pizza Lord!

Offline MonaLS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2008, 02:01:01 AM »
Don't you love infecting people with love of a new author? :) (Grinning evilly as I loaned my copy of Storm Front to my boss right before she got on a plane.)
“There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast” Anonymous

Offline SkullOne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2008, 02:49:55 AM »
Yeah I was one of those losers that never read one of the books until I saw the series  :-[. Watched series. Got hooked. Bought books... ALL of them at the time, and in the course of 2 months I went from Storm Front to White Knight. I caught Dresden fever and literally almost got into a accident speeding my way to Barnes and Noble to pick up Small Favor all along with a grin on my face... laughing like a maniac. But I digress.. I finished Small Favor today and was blown away. Worth every minute of the agonizing wait. I'm currently in cold turkey mode :( after finishing it.

But yes, the joy you get of inflicting/inflicted the love of a new author is a drug. Since I started reading the series, I've gotten 3 people hooked on it  ;D.

Now, I know how Xander feels around Dracula. i'm officially Jim Butcher's Buttmonkey  :D
Fuego, pyrofuego!

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2008, 02:06:53 PM »
Yeah I was one of those losers that never read one of the books until I saw the series  :-[.

By "losers", one assumes you refer to the amount of time you lost before you realized that Book-bound Harry was, in some ways, superior to TV Harry...
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

Offline dilking

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2008, 03:54:39 PM »
I saw HALF of a commercial for the Dresden Files show and went on SciFi's website to hunt some more info on it. Since the commercial made it seem like Dresden was a wizard in current times and ever since Shadowrun (a pen & paper RPG blending future tech & magic) I had been hunting for modern day or future based fantasy as opposed to sword and sorcery style fantasy. (I found so little, I tried my hand at writing some myself!)

The website told me that the series was based on the books and I went and bought Storm Front. THIRTY DAYS LATER, I had finished all available books (up to Proven Guilty). When White Knight came out, I read it in two days. Then I infected one of my closest friends and got to relive the whole series through her. I'm currently reading Small Favor (on chapter 8  ).

I also went out and bought the DVD set of the tv show.

*Is hopelessly addicted*
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 01:50:59 PM by dilking »

Offline SkullOne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2008, 07:17:44 PM »
I'm a Dresden fanatic. I wish I could have been at that book signing here in San Diego but I had to work. Tribblechomper, what I meant by losers is me chastising myself for not reading this series since its conception back in 2000. I need to get a few t-shirts though and meet JB in person and I'll be happy. 
Fuego, pyrofuego!

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2008, 09:35:09 PM »
...what I meant by losers is me chastising myself for not reading this series since its conception back in 2000. I need to get a few t-shirts though and meet JB in person and I'll be happy. 

Having met the fellow personally on his first booksigning in Chicago (if I recall Shannon's info correctly), I have to say this: wherever the man is storing the ego he ought to have (The aircraft hangar where they store Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose comes readily to mind), he sure as heck didn't pack it on his trip to the booksigning I went to...he was open, friendly, humble, and clearly enjoying meeting his addicts fans.

Indeed, he hasn't forgotten what it's like to be a fan, so he applies that sensibility in addressing his fans; with Shannon's invaluable assistance, I was able to write a biography of Jim that knocked my teacher for a loop...instead of just relying on available printed material, she gave me the ultimate in first-hand information and I passed with flying colors, due largely to her help and that of others in Jim's inner circle.  With her further assistance, I was able to put into his hands (via the US Postal System) not only said biography, but the other Jim Butcher Project I presented (same teacher) for my History Of Chicago class...the teacher was adamant on this Final Project: NO AL CAPONE, NO MICHAEL JORDAN!; seems that was all previous classes had done, and one can only look at so many Capone-themed papers without going a little bug-snap!  So I had a rather-unusual idea:  Since I'd already pimped introduced the books to her, I suggested using the Chicago Neighborhood Map made/sold by Big Stick Inc. as a means of documenting where Real-Life Chicago met Dresdenverse Chicago, as described in the books...marking the locations with those peel-and-stick colored dots, color-coding each book and using it to mark these intersection points (Storm Front, Fool Moon, etc.).

When that, along with my presentational style, impressed the teacher  (There IS something rather attention-grabbing when your lecturer rips open his shirt, revealing a Bookstore Commando shirt in a Superman-ish manner...), who was rating not only on content, but ability to keep one's audience interested...the question then became, "What do I do with it now?".  I decided, with Shannon's help, to send it to the subject of the biography, along with the color-dotted map; skip forward to the book lecture in Chicago suburbs, where I am waiting with the most recent update of the Chicago Neighborhood Map, rolled up in a tube.  Jim might not have been able to pick me out of a lineup before that night...but when I unrolled the map, he knew EXACTLY who I was, and signed not only the books, but the map, which hangs on the wall to my left as I write this, protected from the ravages of Time by the expert lamination skills of the Merry Elves of Kinko's/FedEx

For those curious about this Chicago Neighborhood Map, Chicago is made up of numerous neighborhoods, each with a little something special and their own identity...when Harry refers to going into the Morgan Park neighborhood, Morgan Park is on the southern point of Chicago (on the map, it's grid-referenced at "M-6")...if he were going to the Portage Park neighborhood, Portage Park is on the Northwest side of Chicago (on the map, it's grid-referenced at "C-4").  The Morgue area where Butters works is, I believe, near the hospital, located at F-7, in the area labelled "The M.D. (Medical District)/University Village"...get the idea?

If the Admins will allow it, I'll post a link to where you can buy the map and track Harry's movements yourself; if not, email me off the board for Big Stick's website.
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!

Offline SkullOne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 08, 2008, 11:46:38 PM »
Mmmkay, if it wasn't obvious enough, but the hell with it, I'm gonna say it anyways. I'M JEALOUS! That map sounds badass. I can't speak for myself, but you must definitely get a warm fuzzy feeling when your favorite author recognizes you. I bow down to your fandom. *Bows down*. "I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy."
Fuego, pyrofuego!

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #208 on: April 09, 2008, 12:33:32 AM »
Mmmkay, if it wasn't obvious enough, but the hell with it, I'm gonna say it anyways. I'M JEALOUS! That map sounds badass. I can't speak for myself, but you must definitely get a warm fuzzy feeling when your favorite author recognizes you. I bow down to your fandom. *Bows down*. "I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy." -SkullOne

You want a link to the map website?

http://www.bigstickinc.com/

Top row shows the Chicago Maps...what I sent Jim was Chicago Neighborhood Map (Second  Version, Second  Edition); what he signed was Chicago Neighborhood Map, Third  Edition

There's even a deal to get what they call the Chicago Triple Play:
Includes:
  - Chicago 1st Edition
  - Chicago 2nd Ver. 2nd Edition
  - Chicago 3rd Edition

All for $90...that's like $10 30 per map!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 07:21:26 AM by Tribblechomper »

Offline SkullOne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 09, 2008, 12:40:53 AM »
Sweet. Thanks.
Fuego, pyrofuego!