Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243419 times)

Offline Sayuri_x

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #180 on: January 03, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
I am one of those clueless freaks who only discovered Harry through the TV series.

Live in the UK, saw the previews on SKy and have to honestly say, I immeadetly thought, 'What a lot of rubbish!'

But Sky One advertised TDF pretty heavily and something must have wormed it's way into my subconcious because I found myself watching them and enjoying them. Not immensely but they passed the time. I watched the season once, then again and again.

Was in the bookstore a couple of months later and saw the books. They have had a pretty heavy advertising campaign as well over in Blighty. Bought the first, Storm Front, read it and loved it and immeadlety went and bought the rest. Didn't like Fool Moon as much and it kinda slowed the fervour. Read Grave Peril loved it, couldn't get through Summer Knight, but it all changed with Death Masks. I loved that book and that is when the obsession started in ernest!

When I found out that James Marsters did the audiobooks, I went straight to Buzzymultimedia and got the  lot.  ANd that put the lid on my coffin. They are amazing. I am now waiting feverishly for White Night to come out over here and I will be buying Small Favours in hardback and audiobook as sson as.

I am now a fully functioning member of the Jim Butcher Fan club. Just got hold of the Codex series as well. STarting that as soon as I finish Proven Guilty. On the last chapter now.

As for the TV series, well, I loved the actors but I can't really watch it anymore. The books have taken over as my 'reality' of the world and I wouldn't have it any other way.

What I would like to see is a great film franchise, with Paul Blackthorne as the face of Harry and James Marsters as the voice. That isn't too much to ask is it? They can do that for me huh?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 08:43:22 PM by Sayuri_x »

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2008, 05:46:09 AM »
You are going to love his Codex Alera books.  I finished the first yesterday, and am halfway through the second.  I'm new to fantasy, and really didn't expect to like them.  I bought them for the kid.  Now I'm thrilled I have two left to read after this one.  It helps with the pain of having to wait for Small Favor.

Offline Sayuri_x

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2008, 06:23:25 PM »
You are going to love his Codex Alera books.  I finished the first yesterday, and am halfway through the second.  I'm new to fantasy, and really didn't expect to like them.  I bought them for the kid.  Now I'm thrilled I have two left to read after this one.  It helps with the pain of having to wait for Small Favor.

I cannot wait to read them.

Finished Proven Guilty last night and was left with this empty feeling. I have to wait ten days before I can get White Night. Ergh.

I come from a fantasy reading background. In fact when I was younger it was all I read, so I am super-excited to see what Jim can do with this genre.

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2008, 09:47:09 PM »
I'd been a fan of Rick Cook's "Garrett P.I." books from 'way back. (Briefly: they're about the closest thing to the total opposite of the Dresden Files I can imagine, a hard-boiled detective in a high-fantasy setting, solving murders committed by magic, tilting back a few with dark elves and dating a gorgeous red-haired *cough* "short human" woman) I've also been a fan of urban fantasy since Shadowrun first hit the shelves of my local game store. As such, I had noticed the Dresden Files books when the first hit and dismissed them as 'also-ran'. But the name stuck in my head, and when I saw that SciFi was turning them into a series, I decided to take a look at the original source material.
I found solid writing and characterization, as well as gentle tributes to the noir genre as the foundation to a very good story. And I'm trying to get the rest of the books as soon as the budget allows...
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline UTK

• Participant
  • I have no awesome quote.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2008, 05:40:39 PM »
Never heard of him prior to the tv series. Saw the promos on tv and kept meaning to get into it but never picked it up until well after it got canceled... (which blew.) Then I found out it was based off books and well just picked up White Night... which yes, means I'm not reading them in the right order... it's not my fault the book store onyl had 1,4,6 and this one. -_-; Which I suppose is a good thing. ;p
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts. There they are a standing in a row...

Offline Jersalyn

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2008, 01:50:53 PM »
Yup, cought the show was hooked on that. Then we found it was base...loosely as it was, on the books. WOOT NEW SERIES TO READ!
"I am the byproduct of all my outside influences."

Offline Meowsan

• Participant
  • Meow... i mean.. Pizza!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2008, 03:47:42 AM »
I was bored one day and was browsing throw tv.com to see if there's anything worth a watch and accidentally discovered dresden files there. then saw that is was based on novels of sorts and decided "well, if tv picked it up from bookselves it must be worth a watch!". I'm a sucker for such things. Watched the whole season with its moderately low cost production and was thinking "hmmm... kinda like harry and bob.." Now, who wouldn't like bob? such a charming skull.. but while watching the TV series i did feel that the rest of the cast seemed rather tensed somehow (like watching those soaps, as if they still haven't grasp the personality of their characters that well yet).. yeah including murphy.. dun like her hair color and style, it's just not meant for that actress.. if u pay more attention most of the pple in the show have dark hair other than bob... wonder why.. *hurrily draws a ward of protection against Murphy's fans*

I did like the idea and the world and i have to say i kinda  like the episode with the darkness(death) trapping the gang in dresden's place... so i desided to check the books out. My jaws dropped when i saw the amount of titles on the shelves. I initially thought it was just a couple.. maybe less than 5 titles but 9 of them!!! I grabbed Book 1 of US version since i don't really like the UK version which looks really plain, then looking at the US version's cover and thought 'eermm... a wizard with that cheesie hat..*gulp*oh well nothing else to read at the momment.. might as well try it out' to my surprise i immediately fell in love with it after a few pages!!! took a couple of days off work and read the whole book then rushed to the store to pick up book 2 & 3.. spend 3 days on them (am a slow reader) and now i'm plotting to hit the book store again to pick up book 4, 5 & 6 after this injection of thoughts on this forum. yeah I started becoming a dresden fan pretty late, like ermm started last week.. :P (but i get to read 9 books in a roll and a new one which is coming soon.. muahahahaha *eyes twitches, fingers tremble... erm.. body fat giggles)

btw.. why harry wears that awful hat on the covers unless did i miss something in the books?(El Dorado style... sure... but that hat!!!) I might get the audio books too... hope theyr'e as good as H.Potter and Some of Ann rice's.. hmm that means ramen and soup for a another couple of months.. again...

Offline u6ik

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2008, 05:18:51 PM »
No. Read the books way in advance of the TV show. I refuse to watch the TV show on the grounds that the books are so much better and engaging.

Offline GWiz

• Participant
  • It only hurts a little...........
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2008, 06:36:02 PM »
yep.......saw about the first four episodes before I finally watched enough of the credits to realize that they were based on a series of books. By the time I got around to finding them (my usual used rag shop never heard of 'em either!!) Dead Beat was damn near old news, and I started with Storm Front and never looked back.............
"Say goodbye to the wife and tater-tots!"
Woody

Offline VengeanceGOD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2008, 08:26:50 PM »
I was one of those weirdos who refused to read the books for the longest time because I loved the show so much. Once it was over though, my roommate dragged me into them, and thank god 'cause they're fantastic.

Also, they served as a fantastic "There are other awesome fantasy/sci fi books besides Harry Potter" for my fiance. :)

Darklost76

« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2008, 08:31:22 PM »
Erm...where's the "Obsessed over the books and wet myself when they announced they were making a show" option in the poll, eh?

Offline GWiz

• Participant
  • It only hurts a little...........
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2008, 10:35:14 PM »
Erm...where's the "Obsessed over the books and wet myself when they announced they were making a show" option in the poll, eh?

if they put that one in, then there's gotta be a "obsessed over the show and wet myself when I discovered it was based on a series of books" option, and then the "I just wet myself" option, and so on........they had to stop before it got messy..........
"Say goodbye to the wife and tater-tots!"
Woody

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2008, 11:49:19 PM »

The poll is only for the subset of people that did discover the books because of the TV show.  Perhaps this wasn't clear. :D

Darklost76

« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2008, 02:57:54 AM »
The poll is only for the subset of people that did discover the books because of the TV show.  Perhaps this wasn't clear. :D

Or in typical fashion I missed that...*heh*  You'd think with getting new glasses I'd be able to see what I'm reading....*shakes head*

Offline Cagekicker

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2008, 09:46:30 PM »

Yup, that's my vote...