Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243413 times)

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #600 on: August 20, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »
I think Marsters would be a good Harry, but I'd like different actors for other roles. You can often tell when it's one actor talking to himself.

Also: Mark Hamill for Bob!
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline kacowkachow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 20, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »
Terrence Mann as Bob was one of the things that I found great about the actual TV series. I'd love to see him come back for that.

Marsters acting one or two roles would probably be the limit for this kind of production, voice acting is a lot of work and a pain to do. Harry and Sanya maybe? Although, he is undeniably awesome in the audio books, so I could go either way on it.
"I take my throwing knife and throw it, knife style."

—You're the bad guy right?
I am the bad guy.
—And I'm supposed to be trembling with fear, something like that?
Something like that.
—Fine, I'll start trembling in a minute. In the meantime, you think I could have a drink?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 20, 2012, 11:01:46 PM »
Marsters acting one or two roles would probably be the limit for this kind of production, voice acting is a lot of work and a pain to do. Harry and Sanya maybe? Although, he is undeniably awesome in the audio books, so I could go either way on it.
It would depend on how closely they followed the books (religiously i hope), but he could do Harry plus an array of the side characters that only show up once in a while. 

I think Marsters would be a good Harry, but I'd like different actors for other roles. You can often tell when it's one actor talking to himself.
Often, but not always.  Futurama, for example, always impressed me with the breath of characters a given VA could cover.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline kacowkachow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 20, 2012, 11:21:20 PM »
It would depend on how closely they followed the books (religiously i hope), but he could do Harry plus an array of the side characters that only show up once in a while. 
IMO one of the best arguments for animation. They can capture everything in the books in their ridiculously awesome glory.

Often, but not always.  Futurama, for example, always impressed me with the breath of characters a given VA could cover.
Billy West and John Dimaggio really are amazing voice actors.

Edit: Don't know how many of you have seen this but, Star Wars read as a radio play by various voice actors in their famous character's voices. (link) Hilarious stuff.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:24:12 PM by kacowkachow »
"I take my throwing knife and throw it, knife style."

—You're the bad guy right?
I am the bad guy.
—And I'm supposed to be trembling with fear, something like that?
Something like that.
—Fine, I'll start trembling in a minute. In the meantime, you think I could have a drink?

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 20, 2012, 11:22:08 PM »
Yeah, Family guy is another example. i just don' want him to get overworked.

I'd prefer another LA series, honestly, just one that follows the books. Marsters would be an *awesome* Marcone.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline nicoleferrier

• Lurker
  • I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 22, 2012, 02:49:21 AM »
I still haven't see the show. My ex got me into the books. He hated the show and pointed out every single inconstancy the one time I tried to watch it on Netflix. Lol I got so annoyed that I stopped trying to watch it within the first 15 minutes. 
>:/ "Define interesting"

:o "oh god oh god we're all gonna die"
~Serenity

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 22, 2012, 05:44:10 PM »
That is how I see it too. And I love Harry, Bob and Morgan specially. Oh, and Jim!  :P
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline DeaSis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 22, 2012, 06:39:36 PM »
I'd love to see an animated version of Dresden Files with the same quality 3D animation as Star Wars: Clone Wars.  In this way you wouldn't have to worry about the age of the actors over the course of the story arc.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 22, 2012, 06:41:23 PM »
Or the FX for magic. Yes, it would be great
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #609 on: September 24, 2012, 10:26:23 PM »
Maybe something along the lines of the Hellboy animated movies, or the DC Universe animated movies.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Marie

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 26, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »
And I really enjoyed the show, I thought that Paul Blackthorne was very well cast, even after I read the books.  Murphy wasn't the right casting, though the actress was pretty good in the role despite being the wrong shape, size and colouring - can't remember her name - but i did like the Butters actor.
Also, I loved the idea of casting Bob as a "person".  The skull might not have worked so well as a character had it been left as a voice.  The actor really had the right approach to Bob's personality.
And for all the people who criticised the show, the simple point is that for many of us, it was our first foray into Dresden's world and Jim Butcher's wonderful books.  I would have loved to see more series, especially now that the whole series of books has grown and there are so many great stories that would work on TV.

Offline scottgoboo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 30, 2012, 06:49:59 AM »
I didn't. I honestly really can't remember how I discovered then. It was either me browing the library for some good Fantasy/Sci-Fi books or possible because because of another website called DarkLordPotter. After I read all the books in the series I tried to watch the TV I couldn't get into it and didn't like it at all. Maybe if they had gotten better actors, had a little bit bigger of a budget and stuck to the books a little more it probably could've turned into a Big-Hit-TV-Show or maybe if they would've made it into a big budget movie or 2 it could of turned out bad-ass. Even if they didn't use the book plots.

I also really hated how they had Bob on the TV show.

Offline Ponpoin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 31, 2012, 05:07:21 PM »
I actually never heard of the TV show until after I read the books, since the show never aired here if I'm not mistaken.
I don't know if there are many, but I'm one of the few who first read the Codex Alera series which I liked. The major point why I didn't read the Dresden Files books until short before Ghost Stories came out is, that I thought that the books where too short since only read books with about 500-600 pages at least, though that changed after the first Dresden Files book :)

Finally my first post, somehow never got around to it :D
And btw., sorry if there are some mistakes, I don't have a lot of opportunities to practice writing or talking in English since school ended some months ago :)

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 03, 2012, 08:57:57 AM »
I did come Late into the series, in fact, I am in afganistan waiting on a copy of changes to cross my path now. It was funny for me. I always saw promotions for the show on scifi, but i could never catch it on the air. This was of course a time before the rise of the home DVR, and although it caught my interest, i couldn't get the timing right. Then, of course, came the miracle of netflix, which had every episode on file... I was hooked but was left hanging.

A few months later, an man in my National Guard unit, tried to get me interested in book on tape (audiobook for those of us who don't remember tape).  I was never much of a reader, having problems with reading comprehension as a child and early adulthood always made it hard to focus. I saw audiobooks as the much as the same, a lot of effort for little reward.  After much arguement and a bit of arm twisting I listened to another author's book on cd which he gave me.... I was hooked again, and could not believe the worlds i was missing and have now finally been converted.

I told you all of that, to tell you this...lol...  I became a member of a audio book club, not sure if I can mention, and started looking for other things that would peak my interest. Low and behold, there was "Storm Front". My mind went back to the tv series, and I decided then and there that I must read (listen) to see if there was a continuation from where the series left off.  Imagine my surprise when the Book blew me out of the water and far exceded my expectations. Now i find that I can either listen actually read the books and not miss a beat ( for those of you who have never had reading problems, that is a REALLY big deal). And I also realize that the TV series, although good in its own right, is a distant memory. Though i am thankful to it for the intro, I do not miss it at all.
" I'm just a big hairy american winning machine"

Offline DeaSis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 03, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
KT, your story made me smile.  I have a daughter with dyslexia, she had the same kind of a ha! moment when she discovered books on tape. 

In regards to the Dresden Files in particular, James Marsters does such an excellent job with the acting that you can close your eyes and see it all happen behind your lids like you were really there.  All it's missing is the sound track.

As to your being in the National Guard, thank you for serving our country in this way.