Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243408 times)

Offline atheistcanuck

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #555 on: March 11, 2012, 01:52:58 AM »
I found him on TvTropes. Never seen the Tv show, don't watch TV much.

Offline Astrid

• Participant
  • Shieldmaiden
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 11, 2012, 11:07:53 PM »
I heard of the books before I watched the show, but didn't start reading them immediately. Actually, after watching first couple of episodes, the show kind of turned me down from the whole Dresden Files series but Howl was persistent in saying that Jim is wonderful and after some brainwashing, here I am and loving the books very very much. :D
Advance and never halt!

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 13, 2012, 05:10:48 PM »
I saw a couple of the episodes first when they were on TV and thought it was okay, never having heard of the books or Jim Butcher. I then read the first three books back in 2009/10 but didn't rate them that highly although I thought they were okay.

Needless to say, that has changed. A lot. I have recently finished plowing through the series and have only now to read "Ghost Story" which is on order from the library. I now think the books a utterly brilliant and am impatiently waiting for "Cold Days", the cover art to which looks utterly awesome. Harry riding an AT-AT? Bring it!

I am doomed, but happily so.  8)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 13, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »
Eh...I don't think that is right.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Sydna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 13, 2012, 05:47:09 PM »
Eh...I don't think that is right.

Yes I think that was a cover someone made up as a joke.
Not by fire but by ice.

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 15, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »
Yeah. You're probably right.

Offline Outlander888

• Lurker
  • I miss my wolves lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 16, 2012, 06:09:36 AM »
I actually didn't hear about the TV series untill I was halfway through reading Dead Beat HAHA. Have to say, the TV series was really disapointing compaired to the books  :(
I miss my wolves lol

Offline misspider

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 22, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »
I'v read the paperbacks from the beginning, so obviously the books came first. Due to the fact that I'm living in germany, where the series was never shown, I discovered about it real late. Got the DVDs while on vacation in the US and while I enjoyed watching them, they wouldn't stand a chance when compared to the books - so I regard them as a work of its own.

Offline Brandoch Daha

• Participant
  • Wile E Coyote.....SUPER genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 11, 2012, 12:24:09 AM »
I don't fall into one catagory. A freind recommended Jim and I picked up Storm Front and never stopped. I saw the show via DVD from the library and was sorely disappointed. It had a lot of potential but never came close, like LOTR to P.J.'s movies, close enough to both be classic. Jim's books are so detailed in the real world vs. the Never Never and battles in both.
I thought Ghost Story was gonna piss me off and be an end to it but Jim salvaged my fan-dum and I remain hooked so get Cold Days on paper!
I need to read the Codex series. Heard good things.
From his belt hung a sword, narrow of blade and keen, the hilt rough with beryls and black diamonds.
And none can surpass Lord Brandoch Daha in feats of arms.

Offline PerfectVeil

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 11, 2012, 06:00:21 AM »
I'd seen the show and fallen in love with it and was very disappointed to find there was only one season. Then in October they put on repeats so I watched again and was busy cursing the lack of a second season when the magial words appeared at the bottom of the screen, "Based on the books by Jim Butcher".

So I picked up my Kindle (I love my Kindle)  and found and bought and started reading SF right away. I was hooked immediately though I recall having a small adjustment period because of the differences between the show and the books. It took ages before I saw Bob as a skull and not Hrothburt of Bainbridge. I still struggle in how I see Harry.... sometimes he is Blackthorn and sometimes more like the Harry in 'Welcome to the Jungle'. Often a strange mix between the two.

I finished the 13 of the series all .... I think it was late December maybe? Mid Jan. Not sure because I immediatly started re-reading !

I am constantly relieved that I discovered the books after GS came out. As it was, I finished Changes and (did I tell you how much I love my Kindle ?) immediatley bought GS and just kept reading...
"it gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a journey, time is a river and the door is ajar."

Offline Daysleeper

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 20, 2012, 12:40:24 AM »
Yeah, totally: Kind of liked the TV show but it never quite clicked for me.  It got cancelled and I moved on. Must have sunk in though because this year something from the episode "Bad Blood" just popped into my head and wouldn't go away. I hunted it down on Amazon as an instant video and noticed the credit to Jim. From there I looked up the books.  Took a bit of indoctrination but then I was thoroughly freakin' hooked. Also really dig James Marsters' reading of the audio versions.

The whole TV series is free to Amazon Prime folks btw.  I now think of Blackthorn's Dresden as a slightly goofy local who book Harry might run into at Mac's. Karrin vs. Connie...  could start a whole thread on that maybe.

Uh oh, does the TV thing make me uncool?  Meh, wouldn't be the first time.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:40:19 AM by Daysleeper »

Offline courtesi

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 22, 2012, 06:21:18 AM »
One night while surfing the options on Netflix for the Wii I found the Dresden Files tv show.  Loved it.  Watched all of them and then discovered the show originated from the books.  Bought a few and never looked back.

Offline Daysleeper

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 24, 2012, 01:11:16 AM »
Just occurred to me to mention that for fanfic, it was handy that the TV show came along. Bookverse with all its delicious complexity and running history still the "real" DF to me, but I've read some clever and entertaining stories based on the more simply defined TV verse framework.  The good ones add a hypothetical richness the show never got to develop.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:19:28 AM by Daysleeper »

Offline ruadhbruin

• Posty McPostington
  • Go ahead, call me a furball, I frickin dare ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 03, 2012, 05:39:12 AM »
For me I was on the science fiction book club site and bought the first two compilation books of the first five and never looked back. Just finished rereading Ghost Story to try and manage my jones but DAMN I needs a fix!!!!
"Iam pro quispiam plene diversus......"

"Tantum a viscus vulnus"

Mdodd....we miss you brother.

Offline rschacht

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 07, 2012, 08:14:02 PM »
I first saw the Dresden files on TV. I did not know that it was based on books by the same title. It was not until the series was cancelled that I found the books. They are great as you all well know.