Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243400 times)

Offline Michelle Davis

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #540 on: November 19, 2011, 06:28:10 PM »
I found him by accident at my local library.  I drive my husband nuts because I change authors that I read about once a month.  I didn't even know about the show until it was all over and done with.

Offline grandpax3

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 30, 2011, 01:45:57 AM »
Read him before the show and really did not care for the tv show

Offline Avykins

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 30, 2011, 06:13:30 AM »
Had the book series forced on me. And I really do mean forced.
I had just been reading Anita Blake so lets just say I wanted absolutely nothing to do with any series that has magic, vampires and werewolves ever again. If youve read the series you will know why.
But friend forced me to listen to the audio book and I just fell in love with the series.
About a year or two ago I heard about the TV show, watched the first few eps and knew at the werewolf ep that I was not gonna like it.
Struggled through a few more but have not made it past halfway through ep 9 yet.

Offline Skullington

• Participant
  • Half a heart-beat could be an eternity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 30, 2011, 05:41:46 PM »
My brother started me on them and then my friend Sarah lent me a few, until i then brought the whole set.
I just really enjoyed them from the when i picked them up, the story is just entertaining and an enjoyable read, that lets your imagination run riot. ;)

Offline broke33poke

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 03, 2011, 02:02:45 AM »
None of the above.  AS usual, My best friend April told me to read them, and loaned them all to me.  I was quickly smitten, and he is my number one favorite Author.  Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega series are a close second.  And then there is Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stakehouse novels.  Then Rachel Cain, Rick Riordan, Brandon Mull and JR Ward. :o

Offline grandpax3

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 17, 2011, 02:42:21 AM »
I went back and read what Mikey Finn said about those of us who read the books before the show.  I get to be one the new kids on the block as well as one of the cool ones. OUT OF SIGHT!!!

Offline Paladin Terry

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 22, 2011, 10:35:08 PM »
I just saw a book at a local bookstore & read the back of it. I like fantasy & mystery so I bought the Fool Moon because they didn't have Storm Front. I never knew it was a t.v. show. Wasn't much on it  but it was intersting. Then i bought the next book & i have to say...the more books i read the better the stories got. Loved em   ;D

Offline KiwiChris

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 25, 2011, 10:09:38 AM »
I heard of the books because I listen to the Cover to Cover podcast.  I heard about the TV series thanks to them as well, had to obtain it via alternate means, as I don't think it's ever been shown here in NZ.  I thought it was pretty good, but when I actually started reading the books, I quickly realised the TV show pales in comparison. If only they had decided to make each book into a season of the TV show, I think they would not have had to cut so much stuff out to fit the 42 minutes of each episode.  Perhaps if they were to have made it now that Game of Thrones has become popular and set the precedent for one season per book, it might have been different.

Offline PearlJam

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 03, 2012, 04:27:04 PM »
I actually was recommended the series by my english teacher. I discovered the show afterwards, although I think it was a major disaster and disgrace to the series.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 03, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »
I actually was recommended the series by my english teacher. I discovered the show afterwards, although I think it was a major disaster and disgrace to the series.

I wouldn't say that precisely; it did bring in a FLOOD of new readers who then saw the light. :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #550 on: February 03, 2012, 07:57:24 PM »
I wouldn't say that precisely; it did bring in a FLOOD of new readers who then saw the light. :)

Indeed!  It tripled Jim's readership!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 04, 2012, 01:19:16 AM »
Indeed!  It tripled Jim's readership!

Brought my wife and me into the fold. I'm sure you'll all forgive Jim for that. ;D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #552 on: February 14, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »
LOL

discovered number six on ardio at local libary before I new about the tv sireas
it is not that bad but i agree the books are about ten times better  ;D

i have since read all of them twice exsept Jost stories  ;D
my firned showed me the tv sireis one time that i was at her house since then she got me my own coppy on dvd
if you look at them sepretly it helps
but the books are way better oh sorry repatition  ;D ;D!

Offline ElectricBoogaloo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 18, 2012, 09:33:25 AM »
I was a Buffy fan (although not the kind who went to cons because I was a broke college student for most of its run), so I first heard about the Dresden Files because I saw on a Buffy forum that James Marsters would be narrating the first book. I am a voracious reader but I never got into audio books (unless you count those little Golden Books that came with 45 records back in the olden days), so I thought ehhhhh, do I really want to buy an audio book that's WAY more expensive than having the actual book?

But I was deep in the throes of my Buffy obsession, and I had high hopes that it would provide a better outlet for James Marsters than getting beat up by Buffy, so I finally caved and pre-ordered. I liked Storm Front, but it was an interesting experience for me because I was used to reading, not listening. I read very quickly, so listening to a book for hours and hours instead of tearing through the words myself in a fraction of the time taught me to savor books in a new way.

It's been slow going though, since the audio books were released in such a wonky order once Penguin took over. At one point, I had 1-4, 10, 8-9, 6-7, and was waiting for them to finally release 5 so that I could continue listening to the series in order, which meant that I was forced onto a 2 1/2 year hiatus. By the time they finally released Death Masks as an audio book, I had forgotten much of what happened in the first four books.

Thankfully I now have all of the audio books except Ghost Story. Once I got book 5, I decided to start listening to the entire series from the beginning but it was slow going, mostly because I'm now lucky enough to have a job with a very short commute so I was listening for about 15 minutes at a time. I was about halfway through Blood Rites when I went out of town. When I got back, I just forgot to pick up where I'd left off. I recently remembered about my stack of audio books so I started listening to Blood Rites from the beginning and just finished it today.

I haven't bought the Ghost Story audio book yet because I've read so many negative reviews that I don't know that I want to spend that much money on an audio book that I potentially won't enjoy. I'm considering just buying the book once I get that far in the series.

I first heard about the tv series thanks to the Buffy fandom (so of course there were many people who wanted James Marsters to play Harry), but I haven't watched it. I know that I'm usually disappointed in tv/movie adaptations if I've read the books first because all I can see are the changes, gaffes, and other annoying differences from the books. If I know that a book is being adapted and I haven't read it yet, I prefer to wait until after I've watched the adaptation so that the book is a pleasant improvement.

I've introduced a few of my friends to the series in the same way: whenever someone tells me they are driving across the country, I send them the first few Dresden Files audio books so that they have something to listen to while in those radio free areas, and by the time they've arrived at their destinations they're Harry fans!

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #554 on: February 21, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »
cleaer but sneaky  :)