Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243411 times)

Offline Nexfalx

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #510 on: June 17, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »
funny thing, but I'm a big James Marsters fan.. and google told me, hes reading Jim's books - did I ever had a chance to resist the urge to get more info?
so, here I am, having all 11 novels on my smartphone/mp3 player - as a sort of "zen for every day" excercise... and running out of stuff to read/listen while waiting for Ghost Story,

btw, for all the paper back readers - check it out, in my humble opinion, James Marsters (aka Spike from Buffy, for the TV series challenged) did absolutely fantastic reading and, seems like, enjoy it a lot.

and, if we go into the dark side - Jim and his books did help me to get over the probably my worst (2010) year in my whole life since I realized myself as a huNam being.

just a big "Thank You!" and  very deep bow - I know it may not seem like a lot, but its from the living heart!

if it's any inclination of how great a job James Marsters did on his readings, i felt you would like to know that when ever i read one of the books now i'm always reading with his voice in my head. i have Side Jobs and changes in audio and the rest in paperback, i just started rereading the whole thing in anticipation of Ghost Story like a month ago, i'm on dead beat and the reread has been like that, it has made me able to picture Harry a bit clearer now too, more human with personality you know?

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 30, 2011, 09:43:07 PM »
My wife and I are both sadly never heard of the books until we saw the TV show. We thought the previews on SyLy was interesting. We were looking for a new series because our obsessions at the time one was not coming out fast enough in book form (Kim Harrison's Hollow Series) & Hamilton destroying her Anita Blake series.

I grabbed the first book and the rest is history. We devoured all the books up to White Knight in that summer. We became huge fans. It is really bad here we now get them on audio then buy the paperbacks. We cannot contain our excitement when one is reading and the wife is a slow reader. So we listen to books now which is really good. Helps also when we have long trips or nothing is on (since TV is mostly crap now adays

Kinda similar introduction for me.  I got hooked on Kim Harrison's series last spring, and had seen the Dresden Files books in Barnes and Noble for ages, but never picked up a DF book.  Last fall Netflix recommended that I watch the tv show, so I watched it over the course of a weekend.  The next day I went to B&N and picked up all the DF books they had on hand--they had all but Blood Rites and Changes on hand.  Ordered the other two from Amazon and read the series over the course of the next two weeks...and have read them *once or twice, cough, cough* since then.  For the most part, I prefer the books to the tv show, but I thought it was a great introduction to the Dresden Universe, or at least enough to spark my interest.
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline Holliday

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 03, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »
It's been a while since I've done the forum thing. I did discover the books through the TV show. In fact, movies and TV are how I've re-discovered the joys of diving into a good book. I'm currently on book 8 (Proven Guilty) since starting them in late March.

Offline King_Corey

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 20, 2011, 01:41:42 AM »
I got to the party LATE, and in a round the bout way, but from the TV show.  I caught it on HULU as a "If you liked...Then try....The Dresden Files".  I had watched the entire "New Amsterdam" show after it was already off air, and so HULU asked if I'd like to watch Dresden, so I did.  It was ok, but I saw the reference to the books.  Knowing that TV and Movies usually screw up great books I went to the local Used Bookstore.  Someone had just sold the first 6 books to the store, so of course I bought the first 3 wanting to limit my enthusiasm.  (Mistake!)
I proceeded to read all 3 within days.  Went back and someone had already bought the rest.  Me not knowing how long the series was set to be, or what the titles were, I just went to the big bookstore, but they were OUT!
So I go to the NEXT big book store, buy every one was missing up to TURN COAT.  Then I had to wait.....I don't like to wait....
I finish the TV Series, realize that it is so far off from the book so as to be it's own "THING" but now taken with the light of the books...

Now I pre-order and get delivery on release days.

So no matter how much people didn't like the TV show I realize I would have missed the Books without it and I have an affinity for the actress that played Bianca (Hawt is an understatement!)  Also I have now made 4 others go and read all of the books and they are begging to be the first one I loan GHOST STORY to when I finish it.  I suspect 2 of them have pre-ordered and the other 2 decided to catch the Harry Potter movie that week instead to give some breathing room before they have to go and get the book.
DV V1.2 YR2 FR(M)1 BK++ RP- JB TH+++ WG++ CL++ SW+ BC+ MC++ SH+++ Elaine

www.kingcorey.com

Offline TheWinterEmissary

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 20, 2011, 01:53:06 AM »
No.  The books were recommended on an online Board.  I heard once or twice something vague about the show, but never saw it or previews for it. 

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 20, 2011, 03:47:10 PM »
Are you telling me that they wrote some books based off this show. Cool!

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 21, 2011, 02:09:40 PM »
Are you telling me that they wrote some books based off this show. Cool!
I think you may have hurt my soul a little with that statement...   :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rio-boy

• Participant
  • I (generally) don't do hats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 23, 2011, 08:44:52 AM »
new to this particular forum.

been waiting on Ghost Story and remembered that it's due out soon (26th of July?).

a few mouse-clicks and an account activation later, here i am with my first post after voting that i did indeed stumble upon the books due to the defunct tv series.
one good thing about music, when it hits you you feel no pain - trench town rock

Offline aoresteen

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 08, 2011, 10:59:34 PM »
I found out about the TV show after I started the books.  Around April/May of 2008 I was in the IZ of Baghdad dodging rockets.  We were taking shelter in the old Embasy building and I went into the rec area where they had racks of books, looking for something to read.  I kept finding books that were Vol 3 of x or 2nd of the series etc.  I didn't want to start a book series in the middle of it so I kept looking.  I found a copy of Storm Front and it was the FIRST one of the series.  Never heard od Jim Butcher but hey, it was the FIRST!  I grabed it and, well, the rest is history!  I read them all, got the DVD, read the Codex Alera and the first graphic novel.

I just finished Ghost Story and I streched reading it over 5 days just to make it last.  Only 352 or so days to go until I get Book 14!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:02:25 PM by aoresteen »

Offline loadwatergun

• Participant
  • Currently on Small Favor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 11, 2011, 04:35:34 AM »
No. My cousin came to hang out. And said my friend got me hooked on these books. I know his friend, he's good with books. My cousin was going on about Harry blowing shit up, Murphy this kick ass Police chick and Gentleman Johnnie Marcone.... he goes, yes you have to call him Gentleman Johnnie! And Victor Shadow Man ....  I said, ok! He handed me his copy of Storm Front .... and that was pretty much that. It wasn't until later i found out about the show. And at first, since i'm not completely up to GH, i thought watching the show, would ruined things for me, so i put it off .... once i got further into the series, and figured i was pass what the show, adapted, i gave it a try. Only to find out, that you could only be on Fool Moon .... and still not have it ruined for you. The show was alright, i only just finished it recently. Like most i prefer the books, no questions asked. The thing i liked least about it the show .... was the Harry and Bianca hooking up thing.... Which is probably why i, put off finishing it. Overall, there were some good episodes, and Paul Blackthorne, was good at being Harry .... the whole lying to Murph to keep her safe, thing brought me back to Storm Front. And even though, i wasn't expecting it, Terrence Mann, as Bob was fun. :)

Offline AdamPepper

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 12, 2011, 01:49:44 AM »
I've never even seen the show but I'm reading the books now and enjoying them.  Can I netflix it?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 12, 2011, 03:35:22 AM »
Not sure about netflix, but the complete series is available on Hulu here
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline loadwatergun

• Participant
  • Currently on Small Favor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 12, 2011, 05:20:48 AM »
I've never even seen the show but I'm reading the books now and enjoying them.  Can I netflix it?

Yeah, it's on netflix.

Offline hkjakkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 12, 2011, 06:33:36 AM »
I am one many it seems that I owe it all to the Dresden Files T.V. series. I had stopped going to book stores. I owe a debt to the Syfy channel.When I think of Murphy I tend to thin of her as the actress in the TV show instead of the way she is described in the books...Even though it seems like years ago I remember how excited I was when the show started....at seeing something that little blurb....based on the books by Jim Butcher. The rest is history. Still my favorite author and still my favorite series....As you can see I could go on and on..

Offline kittyfd13

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 12, 2011, 08:37:14 PM »
Read the books before the show, was sad when show got canceled. Have never read past the second Codex but I think that would make an awesome mini-series.