Author Topic: despite the flack I'm going to get....  (Read 8627 times)

Offline daranthered

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: despite the flack I'm going to get....
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 09:47:27 PM »

As my last thought regarding writing a story good enough for publication; it seems to me that in a world of roughly six billion people, about eight billion want to be writers. 

There's a lot of manuscripts out there that should get published on the merits. 

Figuring out what the market wants is a publishers job.  A writer should write what they write best.  Rowling could never have written a story about an angsty teen girl, and her vampire not-lover.  She's a Classicist, so she wrote a story with a lot of classical elements.   

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 11:12:39 PM »
Huh? Sorry, I didnt hear you. I was working on loading the trebuchet.  ;)

I was setting up the vuvuzela on your alarm clock...
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 01:16:15 PM »
LOL.

What's ironic is the topic of this thread is "despite the flack I'm going to get...." but I don't think anyone has given meg_evonne any flack.

I think there was more flack for mentioning The Dark Tower, Anne Rice, and JK Rowling.  

:-\ ??? :o :P
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:20:45 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 06:49:18 PM »
I've been at a writer's camp for two weeks and returned to find the responses on this thread.  I'm so pleased that we can have such wonderful discussion from both sides of an issue and still expand our knowledge on the publishing world.

You guys really are the best!  Thank you for your thoughts and your civility.  And I love your avatar MoSeS.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Zolt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 03:54:31 AM »
@Thrythlind
I struggled and never finished the Silmilarion because I bought some old copy from a library (green hard back with some gold symbol on it, I lost it though) and I struggled with the English in it, I think it was an early translation or not translated at all. I don't know if they have different translations of this?
God, that takes me back... The Silmarillon was the first book I ever read in English, back when I was 14 or so... Picked it up on a school trip to the UK. Horrible. Took me maybe 3 months to make any sense of it. On the up side: any book I ever read after that was easy by comparison.
I am not insane. But the voices in my head probably are.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 06:29:46 AM »

@Thrythlind
I struggled and never finished the Silmilarion because I bought some old copy from a library (green hard back with some gold symbol on it, I lost it though) and I struggled with the English in it, I think it was an early translation or not translated at all. I don't know if they have different translations of this?

Silmarillion's original language is English.

as to the mention of JK Rowling, she did some of the absolute best foreshadowing I've seen in contemporary fiction
Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 11:45:34 AM »
God, that takes me back... The Silmarillon was the first book I ever read in English, back when I was 14 or so... Picked it up on a school trip to the UK. Horrible. Took me maybe 3 months to make any sense of it. On the up side: any book I ever read after that was easy by comparison.
I still haven't finished reading it.  Although part of that is picking up other books I have more interest in.  And because it's written so much like the Bible that it can be difficult to get through.  I know people who would keep a notebook to list all the characters to keep them straight.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 03:30:59 PM »
LOL.

What's ironic is the topic of this thread is "despite the flack I'm going to get...." but I don't think anyone has given meg_evonne any flack.

I've been at a writer's camp for two weeks and returned to find the responses on this thread.  I'm so pleased that we can have such wonderful discussion from both sides of an issue and still expand our knowledge on the publishing world.

You guys really are the best!  Thank you for your thoughts and your civility.  And I love your avatar MoSeS.

Then allow me to be the first to give meg_evonne some Flack:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com