Author Topic: Sites and book recommendations  (Read 2870 times)

Offline matorade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • jace41
Sites and book recommendations
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:02:59 AM »
Jim's livejournal was a good start.  What sites and books would you recommend to learn more writing fiction methods/techniques, prefer if there's any that specialize in the fantasy area/series?
Casey: You're looking for this? (gives Chuck his Stanford student ID)
Chuck: You stole my ID?
Casey: I borrowed it to reactivate it. Sorry I couldn't wipe the idiot grin off your face with photoshop.

Offline daranthered

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Sites and book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »
Useflul tings for me have been

The Turkey city Lexicon

http://www.sfwa.org/2009/06/turkey-city-lexicon-a-primer-for-sf-workshops/

Beyond that, Stephen King's "On Writing," and Ursula L. Le Guin's "Steering the Craft" were very useful.  I would also be lost without my 1995 edition of the Little Brown Handbook, a college composition and grammar book. 

Other than that I read a lot of fiction, and I read it critically 

Offline Slapdaddy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 01:36:55 AM »
http://blog.nathanbransford.com/
and
http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php
are two sites that i like a lot. Donald Maas has some books on writing that are very good.
The huge golden space ship hung in the air in almost exactly the way a brick doesn't. - Douglas Adams

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 02:10:48 AM »
The podcasts from Writing Excuses.

(props to Starbeam for finally getting me to listen to them!  :D)
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Slowzombie

• Participant
  • Oh hi there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:11:37 PM »
I haven't actually read it myself yet (It's next on my list, I swear), but "The Hero With A Thousand Faces"  by Joseph Campbell is a classic about story construction and what have you. Also the book "How NOT to write a novel" is very informative and is good for getting out all those annoying rookie ticks, all while being witty and informative. Finally, there's "Saving the cat," which is primarily a book about writing screenplays, but there's a couple of nifty tricks that any writer should probably keep in the back of their heads.

Offline Reil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:18:50 PM »
Google the "Snowflake Method."

You might not end up using it, but it's good reading nevertheless.

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:35:15 PM »
And before anything else - Eats, Shoots, and Leaves.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
Books--ditto for On Writing.  Others I like--Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury and a Terry Brooks book that I can't find for the title.  Also the Donald Maas books--Writing the Breakout Novel and the Fire in Fiction.  Most of the books I get about writing trend more toward author essays/contemplation on why they write more than actual how to stuff.  Also have Janet Evanovich's How I Write, but haven't read that.  Tried Bird by Bird, couldn't get through it.  Read How Not to Write, but honestly couldn't say I took anything from it, since I only remember that I actually read it.

Websites--www.hollylisle.com--haven't been there in a while, but she's got some pretty in depth stuff about worldbuilding and other things.  Mainly for writing speculative fiction.
www.writingexcuses.com  Podcast for writing speculative fiction--3 authors do it--Brandon Sanderson, Dan Wells, and Howard Taylor--They've written Mistborn, I'm not a Serial Killer, and Schlock Mercenary(respectively)
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 03:49:23 AM »
Writing is just the beginning, editing is the hair puller for me. You will never beat "Self-editing for Fiction Writers"  Simple, easy, and every class or craft session has pretty much repeated what I learned in their book first...

Don't want to wade through the Chicago Manual?  Strunk and White is an absolute must, but if I had to pick one...it would be "Self-editing for Fiction Writers".
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline matorade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • jace41
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 04:59:03 PM »
Gee whiz a plenty of book recommendations.  Choices, choices, choices, I know I really don't need many books on the shelves to get me start to develop the writing techniques.  I've narrowed to these books mentioned here or elsewhere and will pick 2-4 out of these:

• The Write Great Fiction Collection Bundle (Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell, Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint by Nancy Kress, Dialogue by Gloria Kempton, Description & Setting by Ron Rozelle and Revision & Self-Editing by James Scott Bell)
  • Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Second Edition: How to Edit Yourself Into Print
    by Renni Browne
  • First Draft in 30 Days by Karen Wiesne
  • The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing by Evan Marshall
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook by Donald Maass
  • The Fire in Fiction: Passion, Purpose and Techniques to Make Your Novel Great by Donald Maass
  • You Can Write A Novel by James V. Smith
  • How Not to Write a Novel: 200 Classic Mistakes and How to Avoid Them--A Misstep-by-Miss​tep Guide by Howard Mittelmark
  • On Writing by Stephen King

Any books I missed that I should consider too?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:00:36 PM by matorade »
Casey: You're looking for this? (gives Chuck his Stanford student ID)
Chuck: You stole my ID?
Casey: I borrowed it to reactivate it. Sorry I couldn't wipe the idiot grin off your face with photoshop.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 01:27:51 PM »
If it helps any, I'll add my hearty recommendations for the two Donald Maass books.  Actual techniques you can use!  Examples from popular fiction and classic fiction to help illustrate the points!  The most helpful books out there.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com