Poll

should humans be able to produce ofspring with alien and/or magical beings?

Yes
2 (8%)
yes but only certain ones
20 (80%)
No
1 (4%)
no because its overused
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Cross Species Breeding in fantasy sifi  (Read 19366 times)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Cross Species Breeding in fantasy sifi
« on: July 22, 2010, 06:03:13 PM »
I have been a huge fantasy/science fiction nerd for a long time and if I have learned one thing from playing table top RPG's is that if the party meets a hot elf someone is going to try and boink it resulting in a Half-elf running around. now i have no problem with cross species breeding's most of the time if the physiology is compatible. since this may be an issue in one of my books i wanted to see what others had to say about it.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
Re: Cross Species Breeding in fantasy sifi
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 06:24:28 PM »
In most of my books, the body is mutable aspect of the soul as expressed through the mind.  We only remain incapable of changing because we fail to believe that changing is possible.

Also, I tend to operate on what I call the "template" theory of fantasy evolution: ie, if a particular person becomes powerful enough then they become the template for a new subspecies or species...the alterations they've created in themselves is passed on to their children

this is even perceptible in normal people, as a skilled martial artist will likely (not certainly) pass on a talent to their children and then that will be further enhanced by upbringing...

IE: I believe in equal parts nature and nurture...with talent being largely nature and skill being largely nurture

this particular concept means that pretty much any species is capable of interbreeding with any other, as long as those species are sentient enough to believe that it is possible...or even just hope so strongly that it is
Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 07:32:57 PM »
It doesn't matter what your rules are provided that they are consistent and make sense, and also that if you are going to make them work magically/non-realistically you make it a different paradigm rather than screwing around with some feeble explanation of how "but DNA turns out to really work this way" when DNA doesn't. 
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 08:44:56 PM »
It doesn't matter what your rules are provided that they are consistent and make sense, and also that if you are going to make them work magically/non-realistically you make it a different paradigm rather than screwing around with some feeble explanation of how "but DNA turns out to really work this way" when DNA doesn't. 

what I said without succumbing to rant mode

^_^;;;;;
Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 11:12:29 PM »
It depends on your definition of breeding. If you're talking about the traditional method then it would be limited. (If you're going with standard theory, but remember, this is sci-fi. There really aren't any rules.) If you're including bio-engineering we're already splicing fish with plants. Glofish include a coral gene that make them glow under black/bluelight. Several other "splices" exist.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 03:22:07 AM »
The plumbing might be compatible, but there would be no offspring.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »
The plumbing might be compatible, but there would be no offspring.

your reasoning?
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 12:12:05 AM »
I think they might be saying, on a technical level, that even though the parts fit, the DNA might not be compatible to produce viable offspring.
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 01:54:51 AM »
Depends. Are humans and the others all actually one species? I mean, look at the wild genetic variation in the human species as we know it; is it really that much of a stretch to think that humans, dwarves and elves might be the same species after all, just with environmentally-selected evolution intervening?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline arcanist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 02:29:21 AM »
its not unknown for two species to create a third. the problem is that the third is mosatly sterile. the onlys ones i know of though is the donmkey and the horse [mule] and lion and tiger [liger]. or you could make it the differrence between two breeds of dogs, but i think that that would be closer to the difference between native americans and aboriganal australians. hope i havnt offended anyone.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 02:01:18 PM »
I think as long as they are humanoid it wouldn't be questioned.

But how do Centaurs, Minotaurs, Satyrs, and Mermaids get here?  :P

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 03:27:40 PM »
It depends on your definition of breeding. If you're talking about the traditional method then it would be limited. (If you're going with standard theory, but remember, this is sci-fi. There really aren't any rules.)

I would be inclined to say that one of the definitons of the boundary between SF and fantasy is that there are rules of some sort.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 03:47:23 PM »
I would be inclined to say that one of the definitons of the boundary between SF and fantasy is that there are rules of some sort.

huh? I didn't realize that one fiction genre had stircter rules than another. Since it's all....... fictional.

Granted people have different opinions on how fictional ideas should function.

This could get really technical too because species in the strict scientific definition is the lowest classification on the scale.

For example, Homo Sapien and Homo Hablis, were Sapien and Hablis is the species, therefore by CROSS SPECIES, it would have to be anything in the Genus Homo.

There is another misnomenclature which is RACE. Many use race in place of ethnic background, but race refers to an entire species such as the HUMAN RACE.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:58:49 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 04:03:07 PM »
The question is are Elves and Dwarves in the Genus Homo, if yes than cross species is definitely possible, but if they are in lets say Genus Australopithecus, it would be questionable because that signifies a split were the DNA becomes significantly different, though both are still in the Family Hominidae.

As for extraterrestrial aliens, well that would get really questionable, and in my opinion would be as likely as a horse and crocodile having offspring. But can easily be remedy with some simple writing, such as their home planet is physiologically identical to earths and therefore life evolved much the same as earth and reproduction is compatible.

But like I said, it's fiction, no one really question how Facehuggers really work, how they inseminate a being and take on the host's DNA. How do Predators breed? I've never seen a female Predator in the movies, not that I know of. The point is I don't think anyone would be turned away by cross race breeding as long as there is some simple explanation of how it's possible. It's not like anyone can really prove otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:17:51 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 04:20:06 PM »
Here is the really tricky one though, not cross race, but cross beings, such as Vampires, Ghosts, Demons, etc.

Vampires were once human, now undead, should they be able to breed?

(click to show/hide)

And wheter you are a fan or not, you can't deny that it is a successful franchise.