Author Topic: Historic Dresden Files  (Read 5351 times)

Offline Whitestreak

• Participant
    • View Profile
Historic Dresden Files
« on: July 22, 2010, 01:45:11 AM »
I've been thinking about setting a campaign long before Harry is born.

Sometime around 1876.

If there were to be activity in western Texas or New Mexico, who would folks suggest as being around as NPCs?

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
Re: Historic Dresden Files
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 01:49:43 AM »
Heh, neat idea!

I wonder how far back Listens-to-Wind goes back?  Or The Merlin for that matter.

Cowl might be beginning his reign.

Of course, any Denarians (which definitely predate the 19th century) are fair game, although their hosts would likely have been different.

Similarly, the fae courts probably don't pay an awful lot of attention to the mundane world's calendar, so some of them might still be kicking, or maybe just starting their grab for power.

Offline AsaTJ

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 01:53:55 AM »
I wonder how far back Listens-to-Wind goes back?
Jim has hinted at LTW and Ebenezer meeting around the time of the French and Indian Wars, so at least that long.

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 02:25:47 AM »
Historic games are awesome, my first Dresden Files home campaign which has sadly gone on hiatus for the moment, was set in 1927-8 Gangland Chicago with a Looming Accord War between all the Supernatural Gangsters and a poor Werewolf PI and a Great War Warden standing in the middle of it all.

But I digress, as to your questions about an 1876 western style Dresden Files game. My question to you would be how historic do you want to get? Dealing with the Old West time period and location can bring up all sorts of questions on what the tone and genre your trying for is going to be. And keep in mind it is next to impossible to escape Westerns in all their various forms and their influence on Old West games. So what type of Western story are you trying to tell and emulate? Historical, Horse Opera Serials, John Ford, Howard Hawkes, John Wayne, Spaghetti, Louis L'Amour, Revisionist, Roy Rogers? Once you've decided that figure out how much Magic and Dresden Files weirdness you want to include in your game. Is this a game of Sorcerous Duels on Main Street at High Noon, or is it a subtler type of magic and feel you want to go with?

Take a look at the traditional Western Characters, Plots, and Tropes, and then throw in the level of Dresden Files arcane happenings you want to have. Villains can be Ex-Confederate guerrilla raiders who've made deals with demons to get their revenge on the Union. Ruthless cattle and rail barons using arcane means to achieve their goals. A corrupt Indian Agent who is stealing or binding the spirits of a tribe in order to break their treaties and take their land. All sorts of goodness for plots and ideas can come from mixing the Chocolate of Westerns with the Peanut Butter of the Dresden Files.

Now for some possible canon stuff, Red Court activity along the border. There isn't a Vampire War going on in 1876 but I'm sure the Red Court might be eager to make raids across the border. Also the area you're describing is eastern edge of the Skinwalker's traditional hunting grounds.

Many of the Senior Council Members and Wardens would be alive and kicking or maybe just coming into their power, Donald Morgan was old enough to have fought against Kremmler in the Great War so he could have been a cocky young apprentice in the late 1800s.

For notorious historical figures in the area at the time John Wesley Hardin is pretty hard to beat, I'm afraid you're a few years too early for Billy the Kid and the Lincoln County War though events that will lead to that will be just starting up. And you're five years away from the Gunfight at the OK Corral but that's in Tombstone, AZ anyway.  

Also you might want to check out some of Pinnacle's Deadlands line for one take on a supernatural western game, and there are a bunch of other western rpgs out there, and the internet and the history books to peruse and mine for ideas as well.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:43:06 PM by Morgan »

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 04:35:09 PM »
Deadlands and Werewolf Wild West bother another RPG would be helpful with setting up a Supernatural Western. I am using some of the information in the book because of where I am running my game Modern day Albuquerque.

As for NPCs being around, Ebenezer would be. Ancient Mai, Donald Morgan, Luciano, the Merlin, Nicedemus and his cronies come off the top of my head.

Offline black omega

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 06:45:26 PM »
Roy Rogers Files would be awesome.

We rode out to fight the Denarians.
In the wild and windy west.
Their vile howls pierced the darkness
But my six gun spoke the best.
Their four eyes were shot out
Leaving two for their black heart.
I brought them back for the reward. 
Their bodies piled high in the horse drawn cart.

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 06:58:58 PM »
Hats off to you Black Omega that is made of win.

Of course now I'm trying to figure out Roy's focus items. Let's see (Guitar +1 Spirit Power), (Embroidered Shirt +1 Spirit Control), (Mystic Lasso ...)

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 08:50:34 PM »
As mentioned, the Deadlands line is a great resource; I don't reference the Western genre without it.

As for who is around, yes, the Council, the Denarians, and most of the Old Guard Wardens (including Luccio). The Raith family is obviously around, and relatively old (and by the comments Lara made in Turn Coat, I'm guessing she and Luccio met in the late 1700s). I wouldn't doubt Ortega would be around, as well as Arianna, and I'm with the others in that while there isn't a war, they would still be actively causing problems (especially with the issues between the U.S. and Mexico).

I also think that many of the biggest hitters of the White Council, Black Court, and possibly even White Court would still be in Europe, though. Remember the Stoker's Dracula won't be published for another twenty years, so the Black Court could quite possibly be the biggest supernatural threat, especially with how easily they can "reproduce."

I would suggest looking into Native American mythology/folklore, especially of the tribes that may still remain in that area at that time. One idea due to what I have posted below, the other in reference to a slew of "monsters" that may have still been prevalent until they were hunted and wiped out (akin to Dracula and it's impact on the Black Court, only with the prevalence of firearms, electricity, etc).

Or you could pull a page from Deadlands and have a renegade "tribe" of "Lost Sons" who wish to strike back at the White Man by any means necessary. . .including summoning an Outsider (whom they see as an ancient spirit, ancestor, protector, god, etc).

The following section is going to have some references to both Turn Coat and Changes:

(click to show/hide)

Again, just a few ideas. I hope that helps a bit!
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »
Roy Rogers Files would be awesome.

We rode out to fight the Denarians.
In the wild and windy west.
Their vile howls pierced the darkness
But my six gun spoke the best.
Their four eyes were shot out
Leaving two for their black heart.
I brought them back for the reward. 
Their bodies piled high in the horse drawn cart.

Zen that is cool.

Offline Whitestreak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 01:20:05 AM »
I'm thinking of using a sort of Louis L'Amour style setting.

There are wizards and monsters, but it would be like the modern Dresden Files. There probably wouldn't magical combat on the streets at high noon and there be the same reluctance to have the mundane folks get involved, but...

Most folks who encounter things would be willing to explain it away - this would be viable, I think, since this was also a time frame where there were more advances in technology, which folks could use to "explain" what had happened.

Of course, with the natives and Hispanics having lived in some of these areas for centuries, many of them know better.

Some of Louis L'Amour's stories edge into the western/occult fringes, too, so it might not be so odd.

I've also been contemplating a new Emissary of Power: River Guardians. There are thirteen of them, throughout the world, each with an Item of Power and they serve to protect the river of time. There will be folks who need major protection, and there will be those who simply need a little bit of assistance.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:15:20 PM by Whitestreak »

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 07:15:04 AM »
I believe Rick Neal (great blog with lots of DFRPG goodness on it) has a game set in Old World Europe; I want to say Budapest but you'd have to head there and check. Its a great idea.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 07:10:06 AM »
You can really explore lots of Native American beliefs and powers. You can have fun with the railroads, give yourself a little steampunk for measure. You can have a blast with all the different range wars, which could be between ANYBODY. Way out in the territories the law was a matter of who could afford the most hired guns, or who could bribe the most powerful politician. Lots of room in there for various "Powers" to contend. Plus, as I mentioned in the first place, the western expansion of civilization is going to bump up against some pretty wild parts of nature. I recall Bob mentioning Werebuffalo.

Offline Whitestreak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 10:54:36 PM »
I had forgotten the werebuffalo... ;D

Went to the main library in Sacramento this morning. It's indian folklore/mythology section is pretty sparse - most books of this type that they have are geared towards kids.

::) Looks like I'll have to start doing some *real* research as time goes on - emails and web searches, especially for New Mexico, Arizona and Texas.

FutureGameDesigner

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 06:38:43 AM »
Personally, I'm on board for stories based on John Wayne movies, reworked for as much crossover as possible, and fixed for compatibility with real old west history and culture.

My personal favorite is the movie Big Jake.  That thing was a wild west D&D adventure if there ever was one.

"Sure thing, Daddy."
*yanks his son out of the saddle into the mud and knocks the crap out of him*
"Now boy, you can call me sir, you can call me dad, and you can call me father, you can even call me a dirty son of a bitch...but if you ever call me Daddy again, I'll finish this fight."
-
"Mister...who are you?"
"Jacob McCandles."
"I thought you was dead."
"Not hardly."
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:43:01 AM by FutureGameDesigner »

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 05:40:45 PM »
Some suggested movies for your theme these are some Westerns with Supernatural Twists:
  • Grim Prairie Tales (1990): If you can find this rare gem of a movie worth seeing two men meet at the campfire and exchange Wild West Ghost Stories. This stars James Earl Jones and Brad Dourif.
  • Purgatory (1999): Some outlaws enter a town and not everything is what they seem. This is an all star cast including Eric Roberts, Sam Shepard, Randy Quaid and Donnie Wahlberg
  • High Plains Drifter (1973): This is a Clint Eastwood and well a mysterious stranger arrives in this town but there is a supernatural twist at the end.

Avoid the Jonah Hex film it is rubbish.