Author Topic: This is why the Council is Afraid of Harry Dresden (Spoilers)  (Read 90787 times)

Offline chrnno

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: This is why the Council is Afraid of Harry Dresden (Spoilers)
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2013, 06:02:22 AM »
??? that is how magic works? He either forms it directly from his willpower/charge or he slurps in raw magic and creates his spell. Redirection is easier but thats not what he does usually. Otherwise a gout of fire would create an area of cold as heat is displaced. Redirection is what he did in changes tearing the heat from those vampires and casting it at the next.  :o I think your making wrong assumptions about how magic works?
I thought we were talking about the rings? That was what I was talking about, the start is kinetic energy and the end result is kinetic energy without any difference in how much, arguing what it is in the meantime is making a baseless assumption since the rings were never really explained and all terms refering to them fall under what is considered casual use and thus not suitable to argue specific terms.

And by the way doesn't that happens? I am pretty sure I recall instances of him doing exactly that.

Also I edited the post to make it more clear exactly what I am talking about plus no comment about the first theory? It is technically possible.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:05:11 AM by chrnno »

wizard nelson

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2013, 06:27:13 AM »
Also I edited the post to make it more clear exactly what I am talking about plus no comment about the first theory? It is technically possible.
Yea that fits better and nope, no comment. That Harry knows or uses anything to do with time, chronomancy or putting things in stasis is highly improbable given current info and the nature of time manipulation in the DV, so I ignored that part.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2013, 12:44:28 PM »
Not really, your complicating the issue and trying to use a physics term for potential kinetic energy that doesn't apply. That the energy is released, let go, when the rings are used show that the energy is potent. Held in check by the enchantment and simply released, like a spring. Why would he take raw kinetics, punching a bag turn it into magic to store it and then back to kinetics to use it? your explanations don't make sense.And yet you assume that descriptions in physics in a world without magic is applied to magical descriptions in a world were physics and magic mesh? They actually hold back a bit of energy everytime he moves his arm. Meaning his arm is moving with slightly more resistance as the ring holds back potential force.
...you lost me  ???
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

wizard nelson

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2013, 12:47:25 PM »
...you lost me  ???
You were already lost I just pointed it out lol ;) chrnno has it right though.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2013, 01:05:25 PM »
Honestly, I just see the rings as similar to ATP in our bodies. The ATP stores potential energy in the form of chemical bonds. The rings store potential energy in the form of magic.

However, the rings appear to be extremely efficient. Not perfect, but close to 100% efficient.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

wizard nelson

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »
^ In the end its the same difference, quantus is just trying to be all quantum mechanics on us with the definition of potential energy.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2013, 01:15:44 PM »
Actually Im just trying to point out that Potential Engergy and kinetic energy are related but not he same thing, and to assume that the rings function using principles different from what is said in the text is inaccurate. 

And Quantum Physics be damded, this is two steps back in Newtonian realms;)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline chrnno

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »
I do wonder though, maybe it is just me not having paid enough attention/too long since I last read but if they store a part of the energy of movements does that mean all movements? And plus does he have any control over how much it is? I mean someone moving by their own power or someone doing so for them has no true difference so shouldn't the rings be a rather good defense against brute force attacks?

This seems too obvious, I think the fact I am somewhat sleep deprived is not allowing me to actually think it through.

wizard nelson

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2013, 10:27:14 PM »
Actually Im just trying to point out that Potential Engergy and kinetic energy are related but not he same thing, and to assume that the rings function using principles different from what is said in the text is inaccurate.
To assume the purely physics definition of potential is applied is also innacurate. Take away your scientific vocabulary and look at the word from joe smoe's perspective. Its potential kinetic energy. That your science doesn't encompass this doesn't surprise me. Occams razor, the ring hold kinetic energy, its considered potential because its not active, disapating or inert. Its held in check like a spring. It doesn't have to be built up or focused in any way, its a hair trigger, its a damn magical spring.

Offline chrnno

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2013, 05:50:03 AM »
You guys do realize you are arguing different things, right? At least I see it as that.

One is talking about if the rings fit what is considered potential energy in physics while the other is arguing that it should be expanded so that it does.

wizard nelson

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2013, 08:07:28 AM »
One is talking about if the rings fit what is considered potential energy in physics while the other is arguing that it should be expanded so that it does.
I am acutely aware of this, my part of the debate needed to be made though. Technically he's taking physics at face value and implying that the energy in the ring is something other than stored kinetics and I'm countering that by saying converting kinetic energy to pure magic and back is pointless. That a purely real world definition of potential energy wouldn't encompass the reality of the DV were magic and physics mesh.

Offline GhanjRho

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2013, 03:33:36 AM »
Great report, one slight problem. Molly was convicted of violating the Fourth Law of Magic, not the Third. While the difference is a pretty fine line, She technically entralled Rosie and Nelson, bending them to her will, not invaded their minds and read their thoughts. 

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »
Great report, one slight problem. Molly was convicted of violating the Fourth Law of Magic, not the Third. While the difference is a pretty fine line, She technically entralled Rosie and Nelson, bending them to her will, not invaded their minds and read their thoughts.
True. 

“I have brought a prisoner before the Council, one who has broken the Fourth Law. I have brought her here to seek justice, Merlin.”

You guys do realize you are arguing different things, right? At least I see it as that.

At the end of the day Im mostly just arguing that the description is inaccurate by the text, and is based on assumptions of how Magic relates to Physics. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Zarl96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2013, 04:48:19 PM »
Possible addition, putting Murphy under Known Associates. At the very least they should be interested that she's a potential KoC and was at CI, though I'm fairly certain she met some of the Council prior to that.

Also, should Vadderung be on there? At the very least he should be mentioned under Marcone's as an example of his supernatural contacts.

Finally, I think there's a typo in Eb's KA section. It just cuts off in the middle of a sentence.

Ebenezer McCoy
Volunteered to mentor Dresden after he murdered his previous mentor. Previously trained Dresden’s mother. Has shown an overt emotional attachment to Dresden as evidenced by

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »
Possible addition, putting Murphy under Known Associates. At the very least they should be interested that she's a potential KoC and was at CI, though I'm fairly certain she met some of the Council prior to that.
She met Ebenezer, Ramirez, Lucio, some wardens close to Lucio, Morgan,...

Only the ones I remember.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]