Author Topic: Thaumaturgy at the speed of evocation question  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Thaumaturgy at the speed of evocation question
« on: July 16, 2010, 08:30:56 PM »
okay i have a question about thamuaturgy at the speed of evocation. So it says you can do something thamaturgically based quickly i get that but my specific question is can/do you get any bonus's to that.

Like say for example a Wizard with kemmlerian necromancy
Superb(+5) Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Specializations
Evocation Power Spirit +2 Control +1
Thamaturgy Complexity Necromancy +3 Control Necromancy +2

alright so with those stats this necromancer wants to bring a zombie to life right now via kemmlerian necromancy. So my question is whats his effective power and control for this? does he only opperate at superb(+5) power and control because thats what his skills are? does he get his necromancy complexity turned into power for this and get Legendary(+8) power to start with Epic(+7) control? or does he add his preffered element of spirit into it to get Epic(+7) power to start and Fantastic(+6) control? (i realize some of these examples may require specific narrative color)

This is something that has been confusing me for a while now. I've looked through the books but dont really see anything relating to this specifically, so how do you think it should be ruled?
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Thaumaturgy at the speed of evocation question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:40:44 PM »
Personally, I would treat it as full on evocation, which means that even though you are using a thaumaturgic effect, it needs an element (either spirit, or a new one of necromancy) and then you only use evocation based bonuses for it.  Other answers you will get will say something along the lines of using the thaumaturgy bonuses and treating the +complexity as being +power.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 08:42:42 PM »
I'm mostly with luminos here, though because of the specific thing with with Kemmlerian Necromancy, that'd still give 7 shift Spirit Evocation to do it.

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »
I'm going to take the opposite tack--it's thaumaturgy at the speed of evocation, not thaumaturgy as evocation. I'd treat your complexity focus item as a power focus item in this case, since the complexity of the ritual is the baseline for the power of the evocation style spell.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 09:16:42 PM »
I'm going to take the opposite tack--it's thaumaturgy at the speed of evocation, not thaumaturgy as evocation.

To which I give the standard reply of "Its thaumaturgy at the speed and methods of evocation, not thaumaturgy at the speed of evocation.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 10:26:55 PM »
I would use the control for necromancy, seeing as that is the thaumaturgic element you are using, but as it's an evocation I'd say it's power rather than complexity (a fine line but an important one, as Luminos says it's the same method as evocation - brute force, not complexity).