Author Topic: Various power balance questions (Previously -refresh for skills)  (Read 8039 times)

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: -Refresh for skills?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
Well...there's already True Shapeshifting, which basically does that for Physical Skills. I'd say it'd be -3 sans the physical Shapeshifting (and thus the +4 on disguise)...so something like that might be valid for mental or Social skills, too. Maybe even for a slight discount...

If I as going to do truly Modular Skills ala True Shapeshifting for all skils, I'd probably call it a -7 Refresh Ability, and still not let it raise Contacts or Resources above the basic pyramid's ratings. But I don't think that would accurately reflect what you're looking for, I mean, why would your character suddenly have, say, lower Discipline just because he's using Deceit? It doesn't make sense in the context you're using.

I'd just describe it as a dramatic shift in focus/only so much knowledge being able to "fit" in your active awareness at once. I'd probably also expand the list of skills you can't alter to include the stress track skills, just to reduce the headaches.

Offline Barodahn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
So rather than starting a new thread... though i would throw some more idea's out there of costs for various powers...? And how the powers might work.

*Skill Genius* (can't come up with a good name right now)
You may have this skill at one rank higher than the maximum for your submersion level. You must pay the normal cost (alternatively, to make it more expensive to use this, make it pay 1.5 cost for that level?).  This is only applicable for mental or physical skills that do not effect stress tracks, nor things such as resources or contacts.  (this one actually not thinking of for this character anymore, just curious about what people think about it mechanically)

Also trying to work out a power as a supplement to speed powers.
Athletic Prowess, (or maybe Fast Hands?)
-1 power option on Inhuman/Supernatural/Mythic Speed
If your athletics score is higher than an opponents in a direct confrontation, gave +2 when attacking to your fists or weapons skill due to being able to get the hits in before they can react.

How do these look as idea's?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:16:54 AM by Barodahn »

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 12:12:48 AM »
I don't see any flaw with Skill Genius, but I could be overlooking some of its implications

Athletic Prowess is too powerful.  The most a stunt can add for a to hit roll is +1 under limited circumstances, and this stunt adds +2 to dodging and to hit rolls.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Barodahn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 12:13:46 AM »
Oops. missed a couple things i meant to say in there. I went back and edited it.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 12:32:02 AM »
Skill Genius seems under powered, since I'm fairly sure a -1 Power can just add +1 directly to a skill.

Athletic Prowess should either be only +1 or restricted to Fists, but looks good aside from that...it would be a bit overpowered for a Stunt, but it's a Power.

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
Also trying to work out a power as a supplement to speed powers.
Athletic Prowess, (or maybe Fast Hands?)
-1 power option on Inhuman/Supernatural/Mythic Speed
If your athletics score is higher than an opponents in a direct confrontation, gave +2 when attacking to your fists or weapons skill due to being able to get the hits in before they can react.

How do these look as idea's?

+2 to attack for -1 power is to strong.

Offline Barodahn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 02:10:56 AM »
+2 to attack for -1 power is to strong.

Even with the conditional? If they have a higher athletics than you, you don't get the bonus?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 02:29:53 AM »
+1 to an attack with a condition is balanced.  +2 to an attack is unbalanced unless the condition is extraordinarily rare. (for -1 powers).

Look at the berserker stunt.  That does give +2 to attacks, but it requires that you use the stunt for the rest of the conflict, and gives you -2 on all defense rolls.  Use that as a guideline for how to balance a +2 to attacks.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Barodahn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 02:35:35 AM »
so +2 stress when an attack connects is less "valuable" (can't think of better word) than a +2 to attack?

Sorry if i seem to be belaboring the point, i haven't had a chance to play the game yet, just read through it so trying to get a good sense of the game in my head is hard.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 02:59:51 AM »
+2 to an attack gives you two more shifts on your attack, which increases damage by two shifts and increases chance of hitting.  +2 stress only when you've already hit is by definition less powerful.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 03:58:21 AM »
so +2 stress when an attack connects is less "valuable" (can't think of better word) than a +2 to attack?

Sorry if i seem to be belaboring the point, i haven't had a chance to play the game yet, just read through it so trying to get a good sense of the game in my head is hard.

Correct. Resulting Effect is less important and so less costly then the ability to inflict effect.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 08:59:21 AM »
+1 to an attack with a condition is balanced.  +2 to an attack is unbalanced unless the condition is extraordinarily rare. (for -1 powers).

Actuallly, a -1 power can give a flat +1 to an attack skill (such as true strike gives +1 to all weapons), a +2 to a specific form of attack based on a skill (such as incite emotion gives a type of melee maneuers and blocks at skill+2) or a +2 to stress if you hit.

So yes, you can get a +2 to a specific attack application of a skill - but it has to be specific.

Offline Barodahn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 04:23:49 AM »
So consensus is...Athletic Prowess or whatever i decide to call it should be just +1 to attack if you have a higher athletics score then??

Another idea to run past you all that maybe should go in the focused practitioner thread, but i am going to toss here anyway since it is still for this same character, maybe, undecided on that.  (The long lived theme and then the evocation theme both being present is due to him being scion of a wind god essentially, seems odd for him not to have at least some ability with the wind)

Specialized Magic
-1 refresh, May be taken multiple times, but not more then your conviction or your discipline, whichever is lower. (maybe half? so it is limited by your "actual" ability even more?)

May only be taken for Channeling.  You loose the option to have foci  or enchanted items. (and loose option to use refinement for those purposes)

Due to your control of a certain element being intrinsic, you are unable to make foci or magical items.  Instead when you take this power you gain a +1 to either conviction or disciple that only functions for your channeling.

Am i off base or is this a decent way to give a focused practitioner a way to excel and advance, and yet stay focused... loosing foci and enchanted items is a lot, so i think it balances out okay...opinions?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:32:58 PM by Barodahn »

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Various power balance questions (Previously -refresh for skills)
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 06:03:23 AM »
yeah, it balances out, but why wouldn't you just use a refinement to buy more focus items?
Lawful Chaotic

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Various power balance questions (Previously -refresh for skills)
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 06:57:21 AM »
A Focused Practitioner can be quite potent without anything beyond what is in the book. With only one element, you can still get a +2 Control/+1 Power specialization (or vice versa) from Refinement, and Focus Items can raise that to even higher levels. Also, the lack of additional elements becomes helpful in selecting focus items, in some ways. Harry has his slots divided across Spirit and Fire, and completely lacks anything to enhance Air or Earth Magic. A Focused Practitioner will always have his foci be relevant to the element he is using.