Author Topic: How bad (+ refresh) is this Silver Catch (like suffering from venomous claws)  (Read 3867 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Uh...because that's not the reaction they have in the books? Iron hurts them, but it doesn't inevitably lead to them falling unconcious after you hit them with it. It works precisely like The Catch is supposed to work.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
Uh...because that's not the reaction they have in the books? Iron hurts them, but it doesn't inevitably lead to them falling unconcious after you hit them with it. It works precisely like The Catch is supposed to work.
Didn't the
(click to show/hide)
?

I thought that was the whole reason using iron is such taboo.  I think iron is their green kryptonite (weakening and poisonous) as opposed to blue kryptonite (which just made him human).
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Sure, but her attacks in that case were enough to kill them. Later on in the same book Fae step on Iron nails and get hit with swords without any similar instant death. The Fae erupt into flames when killed by cold iron, but they aren't any easier to kill with it than a human...just not any harder, either (unlike with everything else).

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Granted about Murphy, but in actuality silver bullets are hard to make.  The same techniques one would use to make homemade normal bullets won't work with a soft metal like silver.  Jim didn't do his research there, but it isn't a very common thing to look into, I admit.

Is silver that much softer than lead?  I mean, you wouldn't need to make the ENTIRE bullet out of silver, just replace the lead core of a normal copper-cased bullet with silver.  I know that silver melts at a much higher temperature than lead and would need steel or iron molds instead of aluminum, but that's a matter of gear as opposed to skill.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
Actually, I think Silver has the same rough hardness as Lead.  Gold is the "soft" metal.

No one melts metal (called "casting") to make bullets anymore (at least no one with two brain cells to rub together and access to the proper tools).  It is all pressed through holes (called "swaging").

Casting can create air bubbles inside the bullets (thereby making it unreliable).  But swaging basically pushes the metal so hard that it "squishes" through the smaller opening (forcing a solid to "flow" like a liquid) into the shape of the bullet.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Is silver that much softer than lead?  I mean, you wouldn't need to make the ENTIRE bullet out of silver, just replace the lead core of a normal copper-cased bullet with silver.  I know that silver melts at a much higher temperature than lead and would need steel or iron molds instead of aluminum, but that's a matter of gear as opposed to skill.

Hey, I don't know the exact details.  This was me looking up silver bullets on the internet for fun months ago on a whim.  If there were actual werewolves and I needed them for that then I'd remember better!  All I remember is that it requires different tools, suitable for making jewelry out of precious metals, and is harder to do right compared to what people normally use to make homemade bullets.

Maybe it is a casting thing vs. the swaging that Joseph is talking about.

And I just checked, lead is not nearly as hard as silver, but silver is very comparable to gold.  Melting point and hardness do not necessarily relate, as melting point is more about just bond strength and hardness also has to do with the crystalline structure.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:46:38 AM by Drachasor »