Author Topic: Building a Shinsengumi  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Building a Shinsengumi
« on: July 10, 2010, 03:03:19 AM »
I got an idea for a character today at work and I don't know where to go with it...
The idea is (As the title implies) a Shinsengumi, a "Wolf of Mibu" plopped into the modern world somehow.

The only musts I know are that he must be an expert Swordsman and have an Item of Power: a Masamune, which is a kind of legendary sword made by a legendary swordmaker(Gotta have one)

I don't know....what he's like in modern day. How he fits into the picture or how the hell he got from the 1860/70/80's to the 21st century whilst and at the same time not been like every other long-lived creator in the Dresdenverse and age like wine. 

Thinking outloud here:

High Concept: Time Shocked Shinsengumi OR Time Shocked Samurai

Trouble: ???  Maybe....Time Shocked? I don't know....

Phase 1(Where is he from?): Old Fashioned Hitokiri OR Wolf of Mibu

He Becomes a Samurai in the Shinsengumi, the Wolves of Mibu. Even has a Blue Kimono.

Phase 2(What Shaped Him?): ?

He came to the modern world. 

Help me out here. What can I do?
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline JG_Mage

• Conversationalist
  • "Lies. Mab cannot change who your are."
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Shinsengumi
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 04:44:39 AM »
Did he live by the code? Did he break it this one time, now he is here? Is he a ronin now?

Is there anybody left from the bloodline he served?

Was a women involved?

Is there a penance?

Just trying to spark something.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:41:20 AM »
Evil Wizard from before the White Council (or Warlock, mayhaps) was going to be killed by him.  Wizard couldn't kill him, for whatever reason (perhaps a magic spell protected him at the time or his artifact gives him a special power), so he shot him into the future so he wouldn't be bothered by him.

Hmm, when that first came to me I didn't think I was stealing it from anything, but when I got to the end in my head popped "where his evil is law" and I realized this was a lot like Samurai Jack.  Though, to be fair to myself, your concept is kind of half there, adding in a magical reason for time travel as an enemy pretty much does the rest.

Anyhow, evil wizard could be dead now. He could have found a way to live forever.  He could have evil descendants who want to kill your character.  Or one of the PCs could be a good descendant of the evil wizard (perhaps even looks just like him), and your PC has to deal with the fact that his ally looks just like a murderous evil guy he spent years (a decade?) chasing.  Perhaps have the evil wizard alive AND a PC be an descendant for some fun confusion later.

I guess you could also have a fae or something else locked him in time (works with the evil wizard).  Go Inu-Yasha-esque (vaguely) and you could have been turned into a tree, unaging as a person, only to have the spell broken over a hundred years later.

Looked up this group...crazy regs:
The code included five articles, prohibiting the following:
  • Deviating from the samurai code (Bushido)
    Leaving the Shinsengumi
    Raising money privately
    Taking part in others' litigation
    Engaging in private fights

The penalty for breaking any rule was seppuku. In addition, the Shinsengumi had these regulations:
  • If the leader of a unit is mortally wounded in a fight, all the members of the unit must fight and die on the spot.
    Even in a fight where the death toll is high, it is not allowed to retrieve the bodies of the dead, except the corpse of the leader of the unit.

Offline Cowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »
Having a Masamune would be so far beyond awesome that it boggles my mind.

If you look at the classic story...

From Wikipedia
"A legend  tells of a test where Muramasa challenged his master, Masamune, to see who could make a finer sword. They both worked tirelessly and eventually, when both swords were finished, they decided to test the results. The contest was for each to suspend the blades in a small creek with the cutting edge facing the current. Muramasa's sword, the Juuchi Yosamu (10,000 Cold Nights / 十千夜寒) cut everything that passed its way; fish, leaves floating down the river, the very air which blew on it. Highly impressed with his pupil's work, Masamune lowered his sword, the Yawarakai-Te (Tender Hands / 柔らかい手), into the current and waited patiently. Not a leaf was cut, the fish swam right up to it, and the air hissed as it gently blew by the blade. After a while, Muramasa began to scoff at his master for his apparent lack of skill in the making of his sword. Smiling to himself, Masamune pulled up his sword, dried it, and sheathed it. All the while, Muramasa was heckling him for his sword's inability to cut anything. A monk, who had been watching the whole ordeal, walked over and bowed low to the two sword masters. He then began to explain what he had seen.

"The first of the swords was by all accounts a fine sword, however it is a blood thirsty, evil blade, as it does not discriminate as to who or what it will cut. It may just as well be cutting down butterflies as severing heads. The second was by far the finer of the two, as it does not needlessly cut that which is innocent and undeserving."

In another account of the story, both blades cut the leaves that went down on the river's current equally well, but the leaves would stick to the blade of Muramasa whereas they would slip on past Masamune's after being sliced. Or alternatively both leaves were cut, but those cut by Masamune's blade would reform as it traveled down the stream. Yet another version has leaves being sliced by Muramasa's blade while the leaves were repelled by Masamune's, and another again has leaves being sliced by Muramasa's blade and healed by Masamune's."

The blades cutting leaves in a river makes me think of the River Metaphor for time travel.
Perhaps the rivalry between these two blades continues. Muramasa's Juuchi Yosamu travels through time, rending the temporal stream. Masamune's Yawarakai-Te follows it, restoring the damage.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »
After letting it digest a bit, I laughed manically when I realized I could combine my 3 favorite pieces of Samurai Lore in a single character.

The Shinsengumi were the closest thing to "Hardcore" the samurai class had before they modernized AND they are the only group with the audacity to wear these bright blue uniforms. A samurai who's technically "A Boy in Blue" is just funny. Plus, the psycological effect of blue is well documented. 

But, I thought of something 10 times better. I still need helps working out kinks and some forum goers find this idea amusing, so let's keep going.

Name: ?  Temp Name(So he's not just that guy): Toshiro 

I still don't have a good name other than a historical moniker.

High Concept: Ronin Sword-Saint

Let's face it folks Master Swordsmen are cool. If they weren't, maybe Shiro would have been a Shaolin Monk instead.

My little contribution to the ever-expanding Dresdenverse. A Kensei or "Sword-Saint" is a swordsman of legendary skill. My take on it is that in feudal Japan Kensei were more than just good swordsmen. In this case, the term "Sword Saint" was more literal, referring to a naturally occurring Ascended Human. Some of the Schools(As in fighting styles) of Samurai arts as taught in Schools (As in institutions) in feudal Japan were actually carefully designed rituals that would eventually cause their practicitioners to ascend, making them literally a Saint, a Buddha, a Kensei. But, it was only certain styles and if some of the rites broke some of the Laws of Magic (Human Sacrifice via Battle Anyone?). then maybe the White Council had a hand in the moderization of Japan which I would also find Hilarious. 

Adding, Dishonored to the Aspect could give more depth, if he even cares about honor.

Trouble: I Followed My Love Across Time

However the hell he got here to 2010, he needs a reason to. My first thought was to say he's been around that long and give him an aspect like...Long Lived but Not Long Memoried, and I'm still tempted to to counteract the fact that most long-lived things in the Dresdenverse age like wine or cheese rather than like a regular human.

Then it just hit me and I wrote, I Followed My Love Across Time. Obviously, he was or still is following someone through the ages. Doing the Inu Yasha thing it could mean a soul mate that keeps getting reincarnated. Plus, love continually biting a character in the ass is par for the course in the Dresdenverse.

A strong contender for a Trouble was A Small Speck of Bushido Left. But that relates to his Phase 1.

Phase 1 (Where Did You Come From?): Hitokiri Kyouken: The Dog of Mibu

Toshiro of the town of Mibu was a teenager from an unimportant family when he joined the Shinsengumi. A Prodigy with a sword, he fit right into the hardcore group of Samurai. He taught himself the written Japanese language as well as English and Dutch. His outstanding combat record and utter adherence to Bushido earned him quite a reputation as a poster child for the Samurai Class.

He also had a love on the side, a soulmate who had talent with Magic. She wanted to abandon the life of a warrior and marry her, but he could not give up his way of life. Toshiro did promise whenever he went out to battle that he would return.

Unfortunately, the Shinsengumi were among the losers of the Meiji Revolution. There were Shinsengumi survivors of the Revolution, but most of them were people who surrendered. Toshiro was the vice-commander of the faction that believed they should die to a man in the face of overwhelming odds. In the final battle, he was faced with hopeless odds and the prospect of not being able to return to his love. His commander told them to to die fighting, but Toshiro said, "Screw it" Toshiro, paragon of the Shinsengumi did the unthinkable, he stabbed his commanding officer in the back, killing him. He ordered his unit to stand down. The unit didn't agree with that.....

In that moment, he unexpectedly cut a hole in the Nevernever and escaped. 

His unit was wiped out, but Toshiro is recorded in history as a disgrace and his treachery was so unexpected that history him as the Dog of Mibu, Hitokiri Kyouken.

During the Meiji Revolution, 4 Samurai were retrospectively given the title of "Hitokiri" which means manslayer. these 4 were the best and were thought so skillful that they could not be defeated my normal people. These 4 are so popular, the Rurouni Kenshin franchise has made bank using this title normally used to refer to just these 4 to refer to quite a few more.

Creative license led to the name with mates Hitokiri with the word for Mad Dog.

Phase 2 (What Shaped You?): Musashi Miyamoto's Last Student

When Toshiro escaped into the Nevernever he wandered a while. He ended up at the feet of the legendary Musashi Miyamoto, who was also a Kensei. Musashi rebuilt Toshiro, sent him on quests to better himself(including obtaining his own Masamune) and sent him on a journey to find his lost love.

Toshiro's journey landed him in the modern world.

The Book of 5 Rings is awesome read and of all the takes on Samurai, MM's is the easiest for me to grasp because it is so pragmatic. Plus, MM's stories are the coolest sounding.

That's all I got. I don't know what other Aspects to give him.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...