Author Topic: Character Advancement - Mortals  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
Character Advancement - Mortals
« on: July 08, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »
Okay Im running an all mortal game at "feet in the Water" level and was looking for some ideas to get the characters beyond the mortal template beyond the obvious.

Sword of the Cross
Wizard Bloodline
Infected RCV
Knight of the Court

Sponsored Power....

Fae Tattoo Artist (for a favor she will give you a tattoo that gives you powers)
Dragon Magic
Demonic Magic

Any other ideas?

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Character Advancement - Mortals
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 03:45:44 PM »
I'm not sure I understand. In your game everyone has chosen to be mortal and you want to persuade them to be supernatural in some way?

Or you're looking to give them options to become supernatural when they level up?

A focused practioner or minor talent is the kind of ability that can show up mid-way through a chronicle and there is a wide variety of abilities that can crop up. Alternatively you could organise a fantastic-four style accident and give them all an appropriate power of your/their choice. That could be a lot of fun, but if they want an all mortal game for a reason then I personally wouldn't mess with that.

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
From mortal you can
-Unleash your latent magical talents. (Become a Chocolatemancer and have any woman (mortal or not) in town as your slave!!!)
-Become an emissary (Fey, Dragon or other flavors of natural supernaturals
-Increase your faith in the face of hardship and become some kind of holy person
-Get Demon infested (Red Court, Lower Planes.)
-Join the Masons with Flamethrovers
-Get yourself set up as accorded natural (Though this probably means becoming an NPC)
-Discover that you were switched at birth
-

Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »
-Learn how to be a were-creature. Considering the Alphas this is apparently very doable with a good tutor.
-Acquire Items of Power of one sort or another.
-Join an organization that teaches some sort of magic.
-Make a deal with someone or something for power, without agreeing to erve it.

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »
Get a promotion at work (uniform to detective, assistant librarian to chief, field agent to lead agent, soldier to 'made man').
Inherit a building, a business or money.
Set up your own business (a bar, a bookshop, a detective agency, an auto-repair shop, a gang, a crime syndicate).
Sell some "fiction" books and come into money and fame.
Lose your job.
Get a new job.
Get into serious financial difficulties.
And so on.

Essentially, any normal, everyday occurrence that can cause a change to anyone.  It doesn't all have to be about the magic!
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline ashern

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »
A large number of excellent options have already been suggested, and I'm sure you could use those effectively.  However, if I could chime in as well, I'd say one of the keys is to let the various avenues they're pursuing arise from actions and connections they make in game.  That way when they do begin to come into their powers they'll feel more organic.

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 05:09:16 PM »
A large number of excellent options have already been suggested, and I'm sure you could use those effectively.  However, if I could chime in as well, I'd say one of the keys is to let the various avenues they're pursuing arise from actions and connections they make in game.  That way when they do begin to come into their powers they'll feel more organic.

True, my goal is to have some things already available for those looking to cast off their "Pure Mortal" concept and move to a more magical concept, if they know how to find them

My group is fairly well rounded and I can see 1 or 2 of them looking to branch off from the Mortal template.  I just like to be prepared with some well thought out responses when a character tells me he is going to try to make a deal for some supernatural powers ...