Author Topic: New GM - help needed  (Read 5652 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Re: New GM - help needed
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »
I map out relationships. Kinda like a flowchart, but not - just to keep relationships in view, it helps you remember the ripple effect of what someone's actions might create. Thick lines for strong relationships, thinner for relationships that are less so.

It also helps to keep the 'players' in view - not the PCs, but the movers & shakers.

Offline austinmonster

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 05:12:22 PM »
I ran that first session this last Saturday...

I think it went pretty great.

My players seemed to really be enjoying themselves, and I should first take a moment to describe my players.
1) a player who RPs like the wallpaper, she never does anything until you start poking at her.
2) two games designers that make their own system and think everything else that isn't their system is inherently flawed.
    A) one of which is a writer and
    B) one is the most unpredictable individual i've ever met.
3) My wife!  Someone who's given up on the idea of gaming and has vowed to never try and RP again.

They all appeared to have a blast!  The only hiccup I had was 2B's character - he tried to make a werewolf evoker with a few holy abilities.... he looked at the rules and fully stated out his character, and then made up a back story (of which he did a pretty damn good job).

I had one exiled shide who's had her memories kept behind by Tatiana who now works as a police investigator (the only real power she had was a massive mental attack that put people to sleep - emotional control, at range, lasting emotion, potent emotion for lethargy).
I had a pixie who talked really fast and had a few evocation tricks.
I had a vanilla mortal career student who wants nothing more than to play field hockey (my surprisingly awesome wife)
And last but not least, a street kid who knew a few forest magic tricks, was agnostic, but worshiped St Christopher.  For a background that sounds like you threw darts at a dictionary, he really made that character work.

I had a really simple theme - Yakuza boss is trying to expand control by encouraging homeless folks to settle in high-class areas to bring down property value.  Only the homeless people share a sort of hive-mind with the "King of the bums" who is possessed by an ant-spirit. 

I got them involved in one serious low-ball fight (simple to explain the mechanics), and they ran with it so well.  I even got my wife, who, as I mentioned, has given up on roleplaying, to have a good time!

Thanks for all your help guys!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:53:14 PM by austinmonster »

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 11:44:29 PM »
Sounds like a truly wonderful time! Glad to hear it went so well!

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 01:15:56 AM »
awesome congrats on a good session! and let me tell you from someone who is going into his fourth campaign (the first one i will not be gm-ing) it only gets better from there ;)
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 11:09:06 AM »
sounds great!

i am a bit late, but if you like, you can have some advice from me too...

I love this sort of game, and I know many of my players would as well.  The problem is, I'm just not sure that I have the sort of skill to be able to weave that stuff in on the fly.  I mean, for one character, maybe; but for a whole party?  unlikely.

nobodoy is perfect the first time. all you need is practice and learning by doing. even now and then (being a seasoned GM with around 20 years of experience) after particularly long campaigns or after some "experiments" (strange astral quests in shadowrun and the like), i tend to send my players a questionaire by email with some questions. have they enjoyed it, was it too gruesome, or should it have been more gruesome? where they satisfied with how things were handled, which NPC did they like/dislike, etc. next time we meet we talk it over and i see where i could expand themes or did things which i should not do, because not all enjoyed them.

other advice i can give:
x) be prepared, have a plan, but be ready to improvise as players tend to go their own ways.
x) make handouts of important things you want to give the player (maps, building schematics, pictures of vehicles, etc.)
x) as I enjoy TV shows with a greater story arc than the current hour (babylon 5), i tend to loosely prepare for the next 5 to 7 stories. it gives my players the feeling to be a part of a larger world, when something they encountered a few weeks ago clicks into place.
x) don't be shy to adapt from other sources, but do it wisely and don't get caught. no seriously, steal only from the best. think about what you like in a show, a movie, a novel and then think about how it was done and try to bring that element in your story.
x) apart from one power gamer in my player group no one complains when i put a good story over the rules. my opinion is that rules should not hamper a good story - even my complaining player knows that when his dungeons and dragons priest can't resurrect the fallen NPC hero who stand with them for a while then it's for a greater good. ("but i should be able to resurrect him!" - "yeah, you are sure it should work, but it seems that the goods have cast a shadow upon his sacrifice... " and then he accuses me of using "scripted events"... :) )
x) as others already said: when you think as the bad guy: be ruthless - but when you are the GM: be fair
x) sometimes the player will have a better idea than you did have when you were designing a trap or something like that. if they do real creative thinking, let them go with that, and see where it leads. it's something i try to encourage in my group. (but don't let them always know.) sometimes my group did that and the new way they thoght of forced me to improvise but overall improved the whole story and made it more interesting, even for me, as i did not know where it would lead at the moment.
x) i tend to have one or two NPCs who are there for the group, sometimes they are part of the party. i can use them if they really overlooked something. ("mark walks up to you and whispers in your ear: "i am not sure, but i think i saw something back there, would you care to take another look?") but they can also be used as plot hooks, dispensers of cryptic knowledge

a player who RPs like the wallpaper, she never does anything until you start poking at her.

that's alright. some player involve themselves into the game by themselves, others need to be involved by somebody or something else.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 12:53:09 PM »
(my surprisingly awesome wife)

I'd cut out that "surprisingly" if I were you and my wife read the forums. ;)

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 01:20:38 PM »
My $0.02:

1) Come up with a story arc.  Know where you're planning on it going.  Know how the characters are getting involved.  Base it on the focus of your game; are your characters average joes?  Are they movers and shakers?  Is what they're doing going to leave even the broken vase standing, or will it shake the city to its very foundations?  Figure out the beginning, the intended end, and the scope.

2) Make some notes about plot points.  Don't write a novel, just get a vague idea of where the action's happening.  So the end result is that the mad Dr. Magik is going to complete his ritual, become a god, and take over the world; and the players get involved because he kidnapped their dog.  Are there certain scenes you *know* you want them involved in?  Certain reveals you need to have happen?  Make index cards.  Not an outline - that implies order in most peoples' minds.  Just unordered plot points.

3) Index cards really are your friend.  Make one for an NPC, with a couple of notes that'll remind you who they are and what's already happened with them (Joe the Dog-Catcher.  Hates his job.  Met at the pound looking for the character's dog.).  Make one for a location, with high points ("background count", "quick police response", "fault electrics", "fire trap").  Make one for important plot points (The new deputy mayor, who wants to appoint his brother-in-law the new dog-catcher, is in cahoots with Mad Dr. Magik.)

4) Be flexible, and be prepared for everything to fall apart - and this is why you should *not* get a story locked in your head.  High points?  Yes.  Characters?  Yes.  Locations?  Yes.  Storyline?  No, because your players will (accidentally, without knowing, and with the best of intentions) rip it to shreds.  A perfect example is a D&D module I was reading through recently; it happened to be designed with easier encounters at the front gate and the assumption the party would go in there and work their way up to harder stuff.  A GM noted that his party declared the front gate an "obvious trap" and instead climbed a cliff to go in the roof, triggering about four of the really hard encounters accidentally - one while the paladin and cleric were halfway up a rope and without armor.

5) Try to work your characters' aspects into the game.  Not *all* of them *every* time, but Fate and DFRPG are intended to be role-play-heavy, not roll-play-heavy, IMHO.  The players put work into they characters; thread it through your story.  Make it personal, get them involved. 

6) Don't be afraid to embarass yourself.  Use the little girl's voice and the old man's voice.  Flirt with the suave face and cower in your chair from the terrible ogre or fearsome wizard.  Get them involved.

7) Try - at opportune moments - to be dramatic.  You know that major plot point?  The enchanted dagger still crusted with blood as Mad Dr. Magik runs away to his secret hide-out?  $10 at an army surplus store, 10 minutes with an engraver, and a packet of dried ketchup = awesome prop with runes on the blade and dried blood.  "The doctor runs out through the door, screaming spells that collapse the passageway behind him, and on the altar you see -" *pull out dagger* *thump on gaming table* "- that he left his ritual dagger behind!"

8) Remember that everyone's there to have fun - you *and* them.  You have expectations, they have expectations.  Be as aware of them as you can be.  If someone's unhappy, find out why.  If it's you, figure out why.

Offline BlackDog42

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 06:43:27 PM »
So in keeping with this thread, i too, will scream "HELP!!"

I'm in the middle of building the world and getting some 'encounters' built, however i keep hitting a wall. i want my party to start at "feet in the water" so they can really build up. how hard should the enemies be at that level? how many should come in a fight? how can i tell from just looking at the character sheets?
Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Are you having a beer?" Descartes says, "I think not," and ceases to exist.

Offline ashern

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 06:58:21 PM »
@ Blackdog, feet in the water combat depends massively on how your characters are focused.  What's the party look like?

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 07:02:13 PM »
There's some good advice in the Our Story book on Running the Game on how to balance opposition vs. the players.  Roughly, take the points the PCs have spent in refresh and spend it on the villains.  Spread it out a bit; don't dump all those points on one villain, or things will go bad.

I've been finding that having the players do the mutual character/city creation in a night can supply you a common theme and fodder for adventures without much work on the GMs part.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline BlackDog42

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 07:13:55 PM »
@ Blackdog, feet in the water combat depends massively on how your characters are focused.  What's the party look like?

we haven't done the character creation night yet, but we are looking at 5-6 players. and based solely on how we play other games: 1 will definitely be a focused practitioner, 1 will probably be along the lines of a cop, 1 minor talent, and 1 were-form.
Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Are you having a beer?" Descartes says, "I think not," and ceases to exist.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 08:58:53 PM »
we haven't done the character creation night yet, but we are looking at 5-6 players. and based solely on how we play other games: 1 will definitely be a focused practitioner, 1 will probably be along the lines of a cop, 1 minor talent, and 1 were-form.

That's not enough info. Character types matter a lot less in planning encounters than what the average PC combat skill is. If most are Fair or worse, then it'll be a lot different from if most are Good or Great.

Offline BlackDog42

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 09:03:51 PM »
Ok, that makes sense.

can i just get a generalization based on the party having good-great combat?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 09:15:55 PM »
A Red Court vampire is a decent encounter for two or so PCs at that level, ditto a Black Court if they have it's weaknesses (if they don't it'll take more like four or five of them), Ghouls are worth maybe three unless you drop their Athletics (which seems excessive to me), White Court are probably a fair fight one-on-one, barring mind-mojo or increased combat skills. A Hellhound is a good on-on-one foe, while an Ogre is a fair fight for three PCs, with any magic users not counting (or all of them together if they lack Cold Iron). Goblins are good one-on-one foes as well.

That's a rough barometer. Base unique creatures on comparisons with these. All these assume that the creatures are "minion style" and will concede before taking Moderate Consequences. If they're willing to go the distance, add one or two to the number of PCs they're a good fight for. For those where it's not mentioned, drop the required PCs by one if they possess the creature's Catch in a manner they can use with their combat skills.

Offline BlackDog42

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 09:23:11 PM »
great! that helps SO much, and it took a bit of stress off my mind since this is the introduction to this game for most of the players in the group and i didn't want to make it too impossible on them.