Author Topic: Keeping Track of Things  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Dreamofpeace

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Keeping Track of Things
« on: July 07, 2010, 08:39:17 AM »
Hi All,

I've been wondering how best to keep track of everyone's Aspects. At 7 aspects per character, with 4-5 players that means 28-35 aspects to keep track of for purposes of compels, etc. not to mention aspects for the location and npcs.  Has anyone designed a GM resource sheet or something similar for this purpose?  Something for keeping track of initiative would be helpful also, but that's much easier to do I think. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give!  Best Wishes, Manu

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping Track of Things
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:47:02 AM »
I think you are probably better off concentrating on different aspects every session, or something, so that you don't have to remember them all.

For example, for each PC you have their trouble and pick 1 random aspect from them at the beginning of the session.  When or if you compel that random aspect, you pick a new one to be 'on top'.  And if you can't think of what to do with their currently 'on top' aspect, you can always compel their trouble instead.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:29:48 AM »
i use a cheat sheet where everyone's aspects are written down. and most of the time when i plan events in advance i already know which aspects are most likely to be compelled and so on.

Offline Da_Gut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:00:03 AM »
You could also have all the PC's have their aspects written down on a notecard, or folded character sheet, and propped up in front of them. That would make for easy eyeballing during the game.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 11:02:41 AM »
I just took a piece of paper from a notepad and scribbled down the character names and their Aspects.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:29:47 AM »
My GM has flash cards (a little like Da_Gut suggests) for each of our characters in front of him. Each has a quick summary of the character like their aspects and how they can be compelled, and commonly used skills/items/bonuses. Whenever there is conflict he just puts them in order of initiative and flicks through them as necessary. Scene aspects go on the little zone map he makes and I'm not sure where NPC aspects go as we don't get to see them but I'm sure they're in a list too somewhere.

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 11:37:41 AM »
Due to my bad eyesight, I also use cheat sheets (Can't read the sheet of person next to me let alone on the far side of the table).

Have the all player's written side by side, name, aspects, important skills, strees tracks from top to bottom. An A3 sheet in a plastic jacket (so you can use a magic marker for temp notes) works great.

Also I would recomend seperate copies of Player's sheets for your own use.
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline Dreamofpeace

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 06:58:17 PM »
Great ideas, guys!  I especially like the flash card method and the large sheet in a plastic jacket. Thanks for the help!  Best Wishes, Manu

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 02:55:55 AM »
If you are a tech kind of individual, my wife and our group uses Obsidian Portal with character and setting information. Most of us have laptops (I use my IPad) and we have easy access to setting information that way.

Offline BigMrE

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 02:56:51 AM »
If you are a tech kind of individual, my wife and our group uses Obsidian Portal with character and setting information. Most of us have laptops (I use my IPad) and we have easy access to setting information that way.

This is what I'm going to do, and will be even more useful for me when I "upgrade" to my droid x next week.

Offline Dreamofpeace

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 03:18:18 AM »
How well would Obsidian Portal work with an iPod Touch?  I assume there's no app, you'd need wifi access?

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 03:29:51 AM »
Nope, no app that I know of.

I don't have any Apple thing other than my IPad so I can't really vouch for how that would work out. I imagine it wouldn't be any worse than viewing any other website. But yes, you would need wifi, 3g or some other method of getting online to access it.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 05:05:08 AM »
I just write all the aspects down on one sheet so I can see them all at once.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...