Author Topic: Since the Policy changes have you felt like a leper?  (Read 6265 times)

Offline David one Mutts Friend

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Since the Policy changes have you felt like a leper?
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:01:15 PM »
I have!

It seems like I post in a topic it gets locked, because some complains about what I say and someone seconds it. So the thread gets locked.

David

I have a Wartenburg Wheel and I know how to use it! ;)
[/quote]

Offline Katty

• Posty McPostington
  • Never been perfect. But neither have you.
    • View Profile
Re: Since the Policy changes have you felt like a leper?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 11:04:50 PM »
If you're referring to the pictures thread, it was locked because it was 30 days old.

"No one gets to their heaven without a fight." - Neil Peart

"I'm going to hell for that bit.  And I'm taking all of you with me." - Denis Leary

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »
No!

David
[/quote]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 11:30:34 PM »
Show your work! Specific examples please.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 01:56:53 AM »
I will try Fred, and I hope that my thought process have gone to snot.

And that would be a waste.

David
[/quote]

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 04:27:26 AM »
I know that whenever I lock a thread, I'll post an explanation.  In my experience, the other mods have been good about doing the same.  If a thread was locked without comment, dollars to donuts it was done automatically due to thread age.

Offline Abeille

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 05:06:36 AM »
I do understand where David is coming from, I have been so afraid to post anything since the policy change... I used to be on here all day every day posting away and feeling at home. Now, I am afraid to do that because I dont want to do or sy the wrong thing. I have really just started posting again, and already I have ruffled some feathers... The policy changes are logically for the good, but it is hard to remember that.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 12:28:25 AM »
I will try Fred, and I hope that my thought process have gone to snot.
And that would be a waste.
David

I have been gone a week and looking back on the last week and a half prior to that I now can see a steady deterioration of my thought process in here and other forums. This forum was just the start of a rant lasted close to a day. It was chemically induced by prescriptions. I am no longer taking that poison cocktail.
Now I can not even get back where I was going with this thread.

David   
[/quote]

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 12:33:04 AM »
Yikes. Best of luck, my friend.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Persephone

• Posty McPostington
  • Random, uncensored, bizarre, but worth it!
    • View Profile
    • My Official Photography Site
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 05:23:29 AM »
While I do feel posting here a month after the last post is a trifle close to nechromancy by the new thread age standards... Nonetheless I shall try to say my piece.

I don't feel like a 'leper' but I do still feel quite lost in the new forum. I always liked the fact that the threads ran long, and the topics had a chance to grow and mutate and become far more interesting, and often hilarious, before they reached 50 pages and got cut. Conversations were easier to play out without a chronological 'enddate', and since threads now END at the last post, new threads are often started days later, with no way to keep track of what was previously said.

I also desperately miss the 'Angst' corner. Yes, there was drama there (that was the point) and some of it was intense, but it was also cathartic to have a place to simply explode in text... Knowing you would have sympathy and empathy from intelligent friends. While I appreciate the efforts to create 'advice threads', most of the time I don't need or want ADVICE... I want to say "X really sucks and I hate it" and someone else can say "I know how you feel" "Feel better" "hugs" or some other heartfelt plattitude that helps get me through the day.

I know the place got ruined by people with too much drama. I know at least once I lost my head. I also know that what's done has been done. Probably for good. Probably forever. But I miss the old Macs. I miss my friends, and there's a void in my online social life where the old bar used to be. I miss the fun, the wackiness, and the way a thread could wander through twelve distinctly different subjects before it lost steam.

Like I said, what's done is done. I don't expect that what I'm saying will really affect a change, and I'm not deleting my account and running away. but I just had to say I miss the way it was. This place doesn't feel like home anymore, it feels more like a hotel... You're welcome to visit, just make sure your thread checks out on time.
That's all I'm going to say. Please don't take this to mean I need to get banned.
Persephone aka The Liz
Queen of Hellfire  ~"Long May She Reign"~
twitter @theliz13
Science Fiction Writer
My Little Pony Addict.
"The devils NOT in the details, he's named in my divorce"

Offline Midget Ninja

• Posty McPostington
  • Face Palm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 05:34:30 AM »
While I do feel posting here a month after the last post is a trifle close to nechromancy by the new thread age standards... Nonetheless I shall try to say my piece.

I don't feel like a 'leper' but I do still feel quite lost in the new forum. I always liked the fact that the threads ran long, and the topics had a chance to grow and mutate and become far more interesting, and often hilarious, before they reached 50 pages and got cut. Conversations were easier to play out without a chronological 'enddate', and since threads now END at the last post, new threads are often started days later, with no way to keep track of what was previously said.

I also desperately miss the 'Angst' corner. Yes, there was drama there (that was the point) and some of it was intense, but it was also cathartic to have a place to simply explode in text... Knowing you would have sympathy and empathy from intelligent friends. While I appreciate the efforts to create 'advice threads', most of the time I don't need or want ADVICE... I want to say "X really sucks and I hate it" and someone else can say "I know how you feel" "Feel better" "hugs" or some other heartfelt plattitude that helps get me through the day.

I know the place got ruined by people with too much drama. I know at least once I lost my head. I also know that what's done has been done. Probably for good. Probably forever. But I miss the old Macs. I miss my friends, and there's a void in my online social life where the old bar used to be. I miss the fun, the wackiness, and the way a thread could wander through twelve distinctly different subjects before it lost steam.

Like I said, what's done is done. I don't expect that what I'm saying will really affect a change, and I'm not deleting my account and running away. but I just had to say I miss the way it was. This place doesn't feel like home anymore, it feels more like a hotel... You're welcome to visit, just make sure your thread checks out on time.
That's all I'm going to say. Please don't take this to mean I need to get banned.
*Hug* I feel the same way, especially about the hotel bit. The funny picture threads all got a punch in the gut,meaning they lost a good bit of steam. No one posts anything remotely edgey anymore out of fear of the ban hammer. I actually forgot the Mods existed before the changes and now I'm very aware of your presence. Thats good for somethings but it makes me feel like Harry felt about the Wardens. Like I'm being watched.

Offline DominicJ

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 10:53:09 AM »
There was a policy change?

I find the modding fine, I'd say keep up the good work but I've not really noticed any
And here I thought Alera was self-plugging.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 01:55:36 PM »

Naw. You spoke your mind and did it in a perfectly civilized manner. It's not like you said "those douchebags totally f***ed up MY place and should do what *I* want because they're all just stupid gits" or anything. :D

Think of it like visiting a place where one of your old friends developed a severe peanut allergy. Because you're a decent person, you'll do your best to accommodate the new needs despite the inconveniences. And if you absolutely have to eat peanuts (because who doesn't, other than those allergic to them?), you'll talk with your other friends separately and meet elsewhere (i.e., group PMs or a chatroom, that kind of thing here) for peanut fun. It's still the same great place, just with a friend who isn't able to endure certain things. :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »
Actually I like it more now. Before, because of being me, I was constantly aware of the Mods' presence and NOT in a good way. Now, especially with the Bartenders, I find the attitude much more constructive. Things in the main now may be less edgy, but you can have moments in Chat to rival anything previous.

And why aren't people in Chat more? Go into a non Public room and scream. PM your friends to be there for support.

On topic. I think if you want pages and pages, do email or write a paper book. Things change; if it's good hold on to it, but if it's bad, too many people would rather hang on to that. The board is still evolving. Threads do jump from subject to subject. Derailment is common.

The main thing I've noticed is much less sheer hatefulness, which I consider a good development.

ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 05:51:20 PM »
I'm glad to see you back Persephone, I've seen your name pop up but not really any posts. :)

Yes, it's a little eggshells around here, but I think it might get better over time.

You (in general) know what I've noticed?  Since the changes a lot of the older members are back and posting when they hadn't been here in a while.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.  While I miss some of the wackiness, it had taken on a very nasty(mean) edge at the end.  I think that as the more regular members walked the line and pushed it with each other, since everyone knew the spirit it was in was friendly, the newer* people didn't know that and just pushed and pushed the limit.  So now we're all watching our P&Qs to prove we can.  And over time I'm sure we'll find the right balance again. :)

*Not a rant on noobs, just the truth about any person in a new dynamic.  You can't know the history behind gentle teasing and won't know why that's okay when yours might not be.