Author Topic: Red Court Help / Catches  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
Red Court Help / Catches
« on: July 06, 2010, 07:53:53 PM »
Okay so here is a question...

How much damage does a holy water balloon do to a RCV?

Does a silver bullet do more damage to a werewolf?

How does Iron bullets do more harm to the Fae?

Just trying to figure out the mechanics...

I understand a holy symbol can be used as block against vampires, but how do we calculate dmg?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Red Court Help / Catches
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 07:59:29 PM »
Okay so here is a question...

How much damage does a holy water balloon do to a RCV?

GM's call, but it likely works as a normal attack with the Weapons skill, and a Weapon value at GM discretion. I'd give it a Weapon value of 2 or so, myself.

Does a silver bullet do more damage to a werewolf?

No. It does nothing special unless the have The Catch for silver, in which case it still only does normal damage, it just ignores any Toughness powers they have.

How does Iron bullets do more harm to the Fae?

They ignore any Toughness powers the Fae has, since they're the Fae's Catch. See YS p. 185 for details.

Just trying to figure out the mechanics...

I understand a holy symbol can be used as block against vampires, but how do we calculate dmg?

That doesn't deal damage, it's using Conviction as a Block, and Blocks deal no damage by default.

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:30:54 PM »
GM's call, but it likely works as a normal attack with the Weapons skill, and a Weapon value at GM discretion. I'd give it a Weapon value of 2 or so, myself.

They ignore any Toughness powers the Fae has, since they're the Fae's Catch. See YS p. 185 for details.

Ah thanks.  I was having a hard time finding the rules for satisfying the catch without the real books. (kicks UPS). 

So weapon 2 seems fair for holy water?  Seems a bit low considering a pistol does the same...

What kind of dmg do you think the handkerchief of sunlight did to Bianca?

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »
Ah thanks.  I was having a hard time finding the rules for satisfying the catch without the real books. (kicks UPS). 

So weapon 2 seems fair for holy water?  Seems a bit low considering a pistol does the same...

What kind of dmg do you think the handkerchief of sunlight did to Bianca?

I'm just tossing in my two cents, so ignore me if you choose.

Weapon 2 really isn't that weak. Remember that most average characters only have around 3 Stress Boxes, and even with everything a Red Court has, a base Weapon 2 is pretty powerful considering it bypasses their Toughness powers. It's one of the reasons why it is so dangerous.

As for the sunlight hanky, it states on YS304 that it counts as a Weapon: 3 attack and fulfills a Sunlight catch. It can also be used to blind, distract, or potentially incapacitate your opponents.
But to answer your question: "Enough." If Lore was used, Harry would have been dealing no less than 7 damage (Lore +4 if memory serves correctly, +3 Weapon); more than enough to cause a consequence ("Broken Flesh Mask," perhaps?) and still have damage left over.

Again, just a thought.
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:20:01 PM »
Black Court vampires have Supernatural Toughness, which means 2 points of armour. Holy water would ignore those. This makes weapon:2 roughly as effective against them as someone using a weapon:4 that doesn't qualify as their Catch. That means that if a holy water balloon does weapon:2, it's about as effective against Black Court vamps as an assault rifle.

All this with the added benefit that having some water balloons on you is way less likely to result in you getting arrested.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:24:57 PM »
Actually, it also ignores their extra 4 Stress Boxes too. So it's significantly better even than a grenade or hitting them with a car.

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 10:52:35 PM »
Also, holy water, sunlight, a floor covered with iron filings and so on - i.e. anything that fulfils a Catch but does not have an explicit damage rating like a weapon does - damages as an environmental hazard.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 11:56:11 PM »
Also, holy water, sunlight, a floor covered with iron filings and so on - i.e. anything that fulfils a Catch but does not have an explicit damage rating like a weapon does - damages as an environmental hazard.

And, of course, to stat up some environmental effects, you need to give them a weapon rating. One of those situations is when they are particularly direct, which someone might construe a water balloon filled with holy water and thrown at you to be.

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 12:52:55 AM »
Actually, it also ignores their extra 4 Stress Boxes too. So it's significantly better even than a grenade or hitting them with a car.

Ah ha I knew I missed something. Thanks for filling in the pieces people.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 03:03:30 AM »
I'd say anything not weaponlike and not having an intensity (like sunlight) would be a weapon 0, but still has all the catch benefits. However, I'd also give it the benifit of the doubt in using different skills to apply it, or let skills supplement its use. Conviction for Holy attacks and the like.