Author Topic: Taking Social Consequences as Backlash?  (Read 16546 times)

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Social Consequences as Backlash?
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2010, 05:33:56 AM »
No, its not a house rule at all.  The rules don't say one way or another how you have to set the stakes for particular conflicts.

You're right, they don't say anything at all about "setting stakes."  They give pretty clear rules on how conflicts work and I don't see any division keeping social attacks from being used in any conflict.  In fact:

Quote from: YS201
Keep in mind that not all attacks are necessarily physically violent—a particularly persuasive argument, lie, or distraction can be considered an attack if it directly affects the opponent. Social attacks are appropriate in situations where the action contributes directly to removing the opponent as a factor in the conflict.

Its no more inconsistent than my understanding that you can't use fists in the middle of a debate without some kind of change in stakes.

You keep mentioning the "stakes" as if every conflict has only one issue going on at a time.  That's not the way the book states how conflicts are constructed.  Conflicts just aren't that clean cut.  In a conflict, many different issues can be trying to resolve themselves in many different ways.  Someone who has begun to attack someone can still succumb to the defender's pleas of mercy and let them go, the pleas of mercy being a Rapport attack which the physical attacker was taken out by, or possibly conceded to.

I think the book even references the classic "My name is Inigo Montoya" scene from Princess Bride, a pretty clear example of someone using Social attacks to force some Consequences on someone before taking them out physically.

If you are in a debate, the stakes are to convince everyone that you have the better argument.  Punching the other guy would be effectively a concession of the debate, because that is clearly an inappropriate method to "take out" in the given context.

Well if you do it stupidly like that.  There are always going to be bad examples of attacks of any sort, attacks that don't make sense.  Even then, I don't think it would necessarily be a concession.  It would simply be switching stress tracks.  Ending a conflict by taking someone out doesn't necessarily mean resolving the issue that started the conflict.  In this case I would argue that the debate was interrupted by a fight and never finished.

The stakes of a fight are typically implied to be standing when the other guy goes down.  If those are in fact the stakes, then intimidation can give circumstantial bonuses (i.e., maneuvers) but can't give the final result.

You're still talking about "stakes" as if it is a rule.  Yes, it makes sense, but it's also something you're adding to the system and not something that's there, so if you want to talk about the same game system we're talking about and not just your home version of it, you're going to have to be aware that those aren't the default rules.

Perhaps its a difference of play style, but I'm convinced the way I'm doing it makes sense.  Every time you try to show a situation Harry has been in and model it using your method of understanding, know that it would be just as easy for me to do the same thing with my understanding, and it would still be coherent.

Sure it would, FATE is flexible like that.  You'd still be adding things.  Things that aren't necessarily there and that don't necessarily work for the rest of us.

Thank you for the suggestions, but know them for what they are.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2010, 02:11:49 PM »
What about the classic example of the guy that laughs and mocks his opponent while he is being beaten up i.e. Fight club?

What about the police officer shouting for the criminal to give up, get down on his knees etc?

What about the fighting couple, where the man is beating the wife until she disparages his manhood, upon which he angrily walks off across the road without checking for cars?

What about the duelling swordsman, who charges at his opponent either in rage for the insults, or in anticipation of an easy kill, or even just sheer panic, and runs straight on to his opponents sword?

Opponent is taken out and walks away when he realises his aggression is useless, or terrified of the maniac in front of him.
Opponent is taken out and captured as he gives up, aware that there is no use fighting anymore.
Opponent is taken out and seriously hurt as the oncoming traffic ploughs straight through him.
Opponent is taken out and killed, as his social-attack-caused blindness makes him act stupidly.

All social attacks in physical situations, all of which could be taken out or concede results after losing to a full stress box.

Offline Steed

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2010, 02:33:30 PM »
I think it's situational, honestly.  There are times when social attacks simply will not work, full stop.  I mean, if someone is truly dedicated to doing harm to your physical person, you probably are not going to stop them by talking to them.  Another example is if they're more terrified of their boss than they are of you, such as if Marcone sent someone after your character.  You ain't talking those guys out of punching you in the throat repeatedly with bullets because they know that if they let themselves be swayed Marcone will ruin their entire world.  Put another way, do you honestly think there is anything, and I mean anything, Bianca could have said to Harry after what happened to Susan that could have swayed him from torching the place?  The answer is no, ladies and gents.  There is a point of no return at which nothing anyone says is going to matter one tiny little bit, and in those situations the only resolution is either you are going down or they are.  Let's use a different example:  NewTrek.  Kirk attempts to negotiate with Nero.  Do you seriously think there is anything Kirk could have said to coax Nero into surrender/altering his behavior/storming off in a huff?  Nope.  The conflict had gone well beyond the point of talking, and that does happen.

Alternately, there are times when social attacks are entirely appropriate.  CMEast has great examples in the last post, so I'm not going to bother with coming up with any.

Offline Mindflayer94

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2010, 02:55:22 PM »
if they're more terrified of their boss than they are of you, such as if Marcone sent someone after your character.  You ain't talking those guys out of punching you in the throat repeatedly with bullets because they know that if they let themselves be swayed Marcone will ruin their entire world. 

I would say that the person terrified of their boss has already failed a social battle, and have been taken out, but didn't make a concession (like most minion can't), as were forced to do things (like if a minion fights a necromancer, and comes back as a zombie under the necromancer's control)

Put another way, do you honestly think there is anything, and I mean anything, Bianca could have said to Harry after what happened to Susan that could have swayed him from torching the place? 

I think in this example, Harry had been taken out and made a concession.
DV Mindflayer94 v1.2 YR3 FR2 BK+++ RP++++ JB TH++++ WG+ CL--- SW BC++ !MC SH[Murphy+++]

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2010, 03:20:15 PM »
I think it's situational, honestly.  There are times when social attacks simply will not work, full stop.  I mean, if someone is truly dedicated to doing harm to your physical person, you probably are not going to stop them by talking to them.  Another example is if they're more terrified of their boss than they are of you, such as if Marcone sent someone after your character.  You ain't talking those guys out of punching you in the throat repeatedly with bullets because they know that if they let themselves be swayed Marcone will ruin their entire world.  Put another way, do you honestly think there is anything, and I mean anything, Bianca could have said to Harry after what happened to Susan that could have swayed him from torching the place?  The answer is no, ladies and gents.  There is a point of no return at which nothing anyone says is going to matter one tiny little bit, and in those situations the only resolution is either you are going down or they are.  Let's use a different example:  NewTrek.  Kirk attempts to negotiate with Nero.  Do you seriously think there is anything Kirk could have said to coax Nero into surrender/altering his behavior/storming off in a huff?  Nope.  The conflict had gone well beyond the point of talking, and that does happen.

I'd say the rules for Social Conflict still apply.  It seems to me that those situations call for Social Armor or maybe a Block of some sort, allowing those people to ignore a certain amount of Social Attack.

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »
 I'd still argue that any opponent can usually just Concede a social conflict with a result of "I Get Pissed Off and Attack" or similar.  Concessions are determined by the target, remember, so responding with angry violence may be a perfectly valid response to whatever the attacker is saying, depending upon the circumstances.  This is why, in the novels, social conflicts usually erupt at times when violence isn't possible, is highly undesireable, or is wholely innappropriate; the circumstances are arranged to prevent violence (either intentionally or not).
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »
I'd still argue that any opponent can usually just Concede a social conflict with a result of "I Get Pissed Off and Attack" or similar.

But Conceding means that you lost the conflict and cannot continue.  Continuing to attack while in the same scene would contradict that.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »
But Conceding means that you lost the conflict and cannot continue.  Continuing to attack while in the same scene would contradict that.

Attacking physically has nothing to do with attacking socially. Conceding applies to the variety of Conflict that's used, not everything.

You could concede a Physical Conflict allowing yourself to be captured, but initiate Social Conflict to get them to let you go fairly easily and logically, why wouldn't the reverse work?

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2010, 11:08:29 PM »

Tell you what, try walking into a seedy biker bar and striking up a battle of wits with the toughest guy there, whose verbal machete extends no further than "Yo Mama" insults.  Do you think getting verbally shamed in front of his pals is going to make him more or less likely to mop the floor with you? 

Game mechanics are no substitute for common sense.  Like Al Capone said, "you'll get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than just a kind word."
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2010, 10:44:02 AM »
I think that, at the end of the day, it all comes down to narrative. In theory it should be possible to win with a social attack under any circumstances, in theory it's possible to pick up something no matter how heavy it is... unless you have a ridiculous level of might that's not going to happen though, and the same with social attacks.

I can imagine hypnotising blocks, a weapon:2 smile (claws :) ), inhuman presence (catch: scared of spiders :D) etc etc

Why not?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:23:03 PM by CMEast »

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2010, 01:10:56 PM »
Attacking physically has nothing to do with attacking socially. Conceding applies to the variety of Conflict that's used, not everything.

You could concede a Physical Conflict allowing yourself to be captured, but initiate Social Conflict to get them to let you go fairly easily and logically, why wouldn't the reverse work?

Oh yes, I see you're correct.  Still, getting Taken Out socially or even Conceding does give a decisive advantage to the winner of the conflict.  If the Social attacker Takes Out his opponent, he gets to decide what the opponent does, and that may include not continuing to fight.  The winner specifically does not get to control how the loser carries out the action, but he does get to decide what he actually does.

Now, if the loser Conceded, he does get to decide what to do about it, which may include switching to physical combat to pound his social attacker, but a Concession means that he's gained some sort of Consequence or lost some other plot advantage.  Taking the Consequence means the attacker now has a free tag to use in Physical combat and an Aspect that can be compelled repeatedly during the fight.

You're right in reminding me that losing in Social combat doesn't mean you can't continue in physical combat, though.  Thank you! ;D

Offline Steed

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2010, 01:37:17 PM »
Not necessarily true.  The winner does get to say what happened, but the book does make mention of not being able to do something ridiculously out of character for that character.  So if the guy you just humiliated with your social attack is the type that wouldn't just back down and storm out, you can't have them do that without going against the rules.  You also probably can't say, "Well, I don't know exactly what he does, but he definitely doesn't attack me physically."  Now if you just humiliated Rudolph, yeah, he probably storms off or backs down and glowers at you or something.  But if you just humiliated Lloyd Slate (back before Mab ruined him, obviously) you're liable to get punched in the throat at best.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2010, 02:57:18 PM »
Most characters, either PC or NPC, have a weakness of some sort; either physical, mental or social. If a character is great in physical conflict but awful as social conflict, can it really be a weakness if you rule that any social loss immediately becomes a physical conflict?

I mean sure, for PC's that can be a bad thing, but if your group has reached the final act in their campaign and the boss is (literally) a monster in combat then can he never be defeated in a social conflict at all? Do social conflict-based characters have to sit on the bench while the guy with the katana and trenchcoat does all the work?

Sure, I guess you could say it's the GM's fault for not creating a bad guy that can be defeated socially, but few NPC's will stop misbehaving after a stern talking to.

Offline Steed

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2010, 03:27:34 PM »
Most characters, either PC or NPC, have a weakness of some sort; either physical, mental or social. If a character is great in physical conflict but awful as social conflict, can it really be a weakness if you rule that any social loss immediately becomes a physical conflict?

I'm not really sure where you're getting this from.  Has anyone actually said that any social loss immediately becomes a physical conflict?  It's situational.  Like I said in my example, it depends on the character.  Some people will back down after a social loss, others will get pissed and start throwing punches.  It all depends on the character, and it would be horrendously bad roleplaying to say, "Oh, this guy who would absolutely start throwing punches if he got humiliated instead just storms out of the room."

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2010, 04:08:12 PM »
What about the whole warrior psychologist thing where the opponent ends up flashing back to their traumatic childhood, gains a backstory over the course of five to ten minutes, then stops fighting (or occasionally joins the team).  Seen it a million times
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".