Author Topic: Follow up to changing high concept  (Read 1786 times)

Offline BigMrE

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Follow up to changing high concept
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:13:20 PM »
Ok, say a focused practitioner has taken both channeling and/or ritual.

If the player "bought up" from channeling to evocation, does the character still qualify as a FP?  There is no single template that requires only evocation.  My thought is yes, as channeling is a specific form of evocation, but that the character could buy up to evocation, but not become a full evoker until a major milestone (as technically this is "acquiring a new power" going from a single type to a broad type).  I'm thinking the same with Thaumaturgy/ritual as well and having to change high concept.

Thoughts?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Follow up to changing high concept
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 07:22:27 PM »
Templates are suggestions, not anything cast in stone. You're encouraged to modify them or make up your own.

So in other words, it's up to you, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Offline BigMrE

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »
Templates are suggestions, not anything cast in stone. You're encouraged to modify them or make up your own.

So in other words, it's up to you, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Was talking to a player about it.  But the main problem is, I was thinking of fate points and refresh points being interchangeable, but they're not.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 07:46:28 PM »
Lets say someone who has a high Concept of lets say "Pyromancer XY" goes from Channeling (Fire) to full blown evocation (fire, earth, air - for example). Then as long as he does not change his HC  to something like "Elementalist XY" or something else reflecting his broadened powers, i'd not allow him to invoke the aspect for anything but fire evocations. Also you could maybe compel the HC to make him fail other evocations... he is still learning to use something else than fire after all. And all these fate points can then be used to do cool stuff with the new elements :-)
So let him buy evocation, and then have him learn to use it on screen so to speak. And then at a later Major Milestone he can change his HC, and through having used his new power for a while he even has a good explanation for why he should be able to do so.

Offline BigMrE

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:39:25 PM »
Lets say someone who has a high Concept of lets say "Pyromancer XY" goes from Channeling (Fire) to full blown evocation (fire, earth, air - for example). Then as long as he does not change his HC  to something like "Elementalist XY" or something else reflecting his broadened powers, i'd not allow him to invoke the aspect for anything but fire evocations. Also you could maybe compel the HC to make him fail other evocations... he is still learning to use something else than fire after all. And all these fate points can then be used to do cool stuff with the new elements :-)
So let him buy evocation, and then have him learn to use it on screen so to speak. And then at a later Major Milestone he can change his HC, and through having used his new power for a while he even has a good explanation for why he should be able to do so.

But you only get refresh points at major milestones, correct?  So are you saying you'd make him wait til the 2nd major milestone to "master" evocation?

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 06:16:03 AM »
But you only get refresh points at major milestones, correct?  So are you saying you'd make him wait til the 2nd major milestone to "master" evocation?
You only get new refresh at Major milestones, yes. But you can keep that refresh and spend it later if you like, so if it's a major or something else really is of little importance.
All milestones, as part of the minor milestone benefit, let you buy powers OR rename one aspect. (I had this in my head wrong... thought you could only change aspects a major milestones...)
So if you buy powers at one milestone, you actually have to wait to change the aspect in any case. But it doesn't really matter what kind of milestone that next one would be, as long as the change fits with the flow of the game.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 06:20:45 AM by Tsunami »

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 07:34:03 AM »
You can (and I think should) also let him use it bit by bit. Sure he stepped up from Channeling (Fire) to Evocation (Fire) but don't let him take any other specialities yet. Force him to come up with the effect by basing it on fire at first "I create a field that burns the projectile that is after me" will not create a perfect shield, he will take damage but as he learns it better he might get to entropic shield from there or he might learn to use cold based spells using fire like Harry did. After he manages to get something done without fire, then he should start using it
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.