Author Topic: Is a Pure Mortal viable?  (Read 13997 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Is a Pure Mortal viable?
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 06:52:24 PM »
And finishing out the trio (because some people care):

Name: Fiona Glennane

Aspects:
High Concept: Ex-IRA Operative
Trouble: Michael's Old Flame
Other:
"Back In Ireland"
Professional Femme-Fatale
Soft Spot For The Innocent And Abused
"Should We Shoot Them?"
Friends and Enemies Here and There

Skills:

Superb: Guns,
Great: Athletics, Deceit, Craftsmanship,
Good: Alertness, Burglary, Fists
Fair: Contacts, Driving, Investigation,
Average: Conviction, Endurance, Presence,

Stunts:

Cat Burglar (Burglary)
Demolitions Training (Craftsmanship)
Pick-Pocket (Deceit)
Takes One To Know One (Deceit)
Armed Arts: Knife, Bludgeon (Fists)
Pin Them Down (Guns)
Target Rich Environment (Guns)
Linguist (Scholarship)

Total: -6 Refresh (Pure  Mortal)

Stress:

Mental: OOO
Physical: OOO
Social: OOO
Armor: Usually, none.

Note: She rapidly piles up Significant Milestones, grabbing Scholarship, Discipline, and Resources at Average, and Rapport and Stealth at Fair quite quickly.

Aspects primarily courtesy of Lanodantheon.

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »
I didn't realize anybody had statted up the Burn Notice crew until I stumbled into this thread. This is perfect for a Miami-centric game I'm running on another site (I've got Michael, Sam and Fiona clones, although rather they're a half-demon, a changeling and a merman, respectively). Thanks for the write-up!
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2010, 08:07:46 PM »
Thanx Deadmanwalking, I really appreciate it. Am going to print out the the Burn Notice characters and, when me and my friends watch the show this Thursday, I'll have them point out what skills/stunts/aspects of the trio are being used to pour out the awesome-sauce. :D
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2010, 09:29:09 PM »
Belial, that is so wrong on so many levels...
First, except a couple of stances like Macedonian, dual wielding is completely useless. Even such stances only allow you to put down supression fire using handguns in short ranges (up to 5-6 meters at most), slightly better than spray and pray but not really effective if you are trying to take down some ones.

The Way of the Handcannon... There is a reason why 9mm and 45 acp are the most used pistol calibers in the world. They deliver a nice balance between stopping power, recoil and clip size.  Sure if you have inhuman strenght you can use beigger caliber weapons as normal pistols but for normal humans, you need to slow down and spend more time on correcting recoil when you use a handcannon.
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »
Nomad, this is a Role Playing game, nobody is going to not make a duel wielding pistol user just because it is impractical in real life because this isn't real life.

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »
I know, I know but I do know a bit about guns in general and such stupid, showy hollywood stuff makes my "correction nazi" wake up ;D
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »
Nomad, this is a Role Playing game, nobody is going to not make a duel wielding pistol user just because it is impractical in real life because this isn't real life.

They would in my gaming group.  Between a reenactor who fights with live steel who was an army ranger, a medic who did a tour in Iraq, computer tech who is also a competition pistol shooter, a psychologist, a musician, a corrections officer who farms and hunts; we've got quite a few bases covered in my gaming group when it comes to what is or isn't impractical in real life and none of us are shy about calling "Bullsh*t" when something just wouldn't work.  We consider realism important in maintaining our suspension of disbelief.  We'd no more allow a mortal to duel wield pistols at separate targets than we'd allow a mortal to revive someone after an autopsy.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2010, 11:22:17 AM »
I personally can't stand realism, whether it's in books, movies, computer games or roleplaying. In my opinion a good story shouldn't be spoilt by physics or whatever. My personal pet hate is realism in computer games: games need to be balanced to be fun, real life isn't balanced; however the same applies to any form of media.

Of course, good stories aren't ridiculous either and carrying around anti-tank weaponry as if it's a pistol is silly. However quibbling over minor details just drives me crazy. Things like movie-style hacking skills, stunts etc are just fun :)

Offline Chris M

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2010, 02:29:47 PM »
They would in my gaming group.  Between a reenactor who fights with live steel who was an army ranger, a medic who did a tour in Iraq, computer tech who is also a competition pistol shooter, a psychologist, a musician, a corrections officer who farms and hunts; we've got quite a few bases covered in my gaming group when it comes to what is or isn't impractical in real life and none of us are shy about calling "Bullsh*t" when something just wouldn't work.  We consider realism important in maintaining our suspension of disbelief.  We'd no more allow a mortal to duel wield pistols at separate targets than we'd allow a mortal to revive someone after an autopsy.

Yeah, I was in 7th Group and you can be damn sure my guy is shooting three pistols at the same time like a crazy juggler. It's a game. If I wanted realism, I'd re-up and head back to Afghanistan.

I mean, I'm standing next to a guy who eats blood and uses it to fuel throwing a car.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:33:22 PM by Chris M »

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2010, 07:44:15 PM »
;D
Yes, it's the different tastes issue. There isn't any "right" aswer. Still "I" would rule that those guys can and a mortal can't becouse he is a "mortal" he is supposed to be the baseline after all.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »
I don't know if even the pure mortal is what you'd call 'baseline'.
Quote from: YS55
Feet in the Water (6 refresh, 20 skill points, skill cap at Great): At this level you are just getting started with your supernatural life. Highly customizable templates aren’t going to be able to add much, so this is really the “enhanced mortal” game—you can do stuff that even the best of humanity cannot (but only barely).
Bear in mind that 'Good' level skills are for people that are professional in something. Great is for absolute experts and Superb is for olympic level skills. Our characters are often experts in two different things, perhaps even olympic level! Combine that with the stunts and even the basic pure mortal characters that we play are extremely impressive.

Still, as you say, we all have different tastes. My taste is that I wouldn't ever limit what a character can do because I personally couldn't do it myself... if I did the games would suck a lot :P

(Though I am an Olympic level Connect-4 player).

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2010, 02:50:55 AM »
My personal pet hate is realism in computer games: games need to be balanced to be fun, real life isn't balanced; however the same applies to any form of media.
I game to have fun. Balance or real doesn't matter. Realistic games can be fun. Balanced games can be fun, it doesn't mean games need to be balanced to be fun. It applies to all games.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2010, 03:55:55 AM »
The question of the thread wasn't is the system balance concerning mortals. It was are mortals Viable. I agree that trying to have high level of realism in a game where Magic is a Central theme is a little too much to ask. But gritty is also a theme of the Dresden files, and is one that should be payed attention to. Every gaming group is different, and it is important to do what is right for the game your in. Mortals are viable. Are they as "powerful" as other concepts? No. Its very hard to compete with a power that is specifically tagged to make the Impossible, Possible.
But that does not mean that Mortals can't show up and rock faces. Mortal have basically no limiters, they are versatile, and there are a LOT of them. So its true that 1v1 most mortal aren't really a match (And there are plenty of exceptions). But lets face it resources and contacts are skills in this game, and so there is nothing wrong with using them. Can't kill the local black court yourself? How about calling Monoc and see if they are willing to take that contract? Or perhaps you know "Just the Guy", who can get you in contact with that break away group of ex-spetsnaz. A Million buck in brief case later you can get some serious stuff done. 

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2010, 09:53:16 AM »
But gritty is also a theme of the Dresden files, and is one that should be payed attention to.
Is that gritty theme Word of Jim?
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2010, 06:15:09 PM »
Is that gritty theme Word of Jim?

If you have read the books, and don't think its a gritty noir series, then I wonder if we are really reading the same books.