Author Topic: Accountability, word count written, feeling lonely out there? Deux.  (Read 1802 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
This was a first.  I'd not read the Last Airbender series, but thought I would catch the movie today.  Bad mistake.  I ended up leaving after fifteen minutes...

1. It was bad.

2. I hadn't realized it was based on the four elements, which is a key base in my own YA. I know this is used in a lot of fantasy, sci fi, mythology, but I couldn't stay, fearful it would skew my own world.

and

3. It was really bad...

Dang...
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
Re: Accountability, word count written, feeling lonely out there? Deux.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
Shoot... I had great hopes for that movie. It LOOKED really good. :(

Of course, I'm surprised they still let Shyamalan make movies. The last few have been terrible.
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 05:33:36 AM »
Regarding the movie, My son said it was a bust, "too much telling and not enough showing" Sigh the curse of being a writers kid....

On other fronts, We have our proposals done for the two novels we are pitching at Nasfic, and now are just sweating it out.... We have the written to order piece done, delivering it at nasfic,(a good place for business, and lets us write off the trip for taxes) Karen is working on a YA set in NM Magic and Soul carriers are important plot elements. I am slogging away at a Sorcery and Six guns effort, protagonist is a disabled veteran dragon working on a steam engine....

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 06:07:02 AM »
meg_evonne: the most unique aspect about Avatar's take on the whole Four Magic Elements thing is that bending (re:magic) is triggered and controlled by the practice of martial arts. I don't think you'll have a problem with compromising your own ideas as long as you stay away from that specific mechanic for how bending works. That said, you should totally watch the original series. It's awesome on so many levels - characterization, plot, world building, strong female characters, continuity up the wazoo, humor...argh, I still can't believe M. N. S butchered it.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Lurline

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 12:36:40 PM »
meg_evonne: the most unique aspect about Avatar's take on the whole Four Magic Elements thing is that bending (re:magic) is triggered and controlled by the practice of martial arts. I don't think you'll have a problem with compromising your own ideas as long as you stay away from that specific mechanic for how bending works. That said, you should totally watch the original series. It's awesome on so many levels - characterization, plot, world building, strong female characters, continuity up the wazoo, humor...argh, I still can't believe M. N. S butchered it.

I still haven't seen it but I don't think you should be too hard on the guy. He's a huge fan, but squeezing book I into two hours is all but impossible, and this isn't his normal style of film. I think he tried his best but if they do get a sequel he should stand back and produce (and maybe direct) but let someone else do the screenplay.

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 01:11:26 PM »
Bah, fairness. Who needs it.  ;)

You're right, though. It was something like 12 hours of material that had to be squeezed into one film - not any easy task by any means. I just don't think Shyamalan was the right man to do it, mainly because it's not his usual type of film. And the ending result was just...so very, very bad. /o\
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:46:02 PM by jeno »
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 03:43:33 PM »
i loved the series (except book three which was to rushed and choppy for my tastes) but i don't think they should have even attempted a live action movie. Show basted movies never live up to the show's awesomeness.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.