Author Topic: Stepping into the nevernever  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Da_Gut

• Participant
    • View Profile
Stepping into the nevernever
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »
In the books, it talks about supernatural creatures and the "World Walker" power. It uses the example of a white court vampire vanishing in the back of strip clubs, or brothels and the like. Harry asks if all supernatural creatures need to take world walker, and William replies No, thats just part of their supernaturalness.

So, do you grant this as a "free" power to player characters? White Court lust vampires can transition in brothels, strip clubs, etc. A Changeling dryad in a city park, or forest, a changeling troll under a bridge, etc? Or should this be a one point power? And, what counts as Supernatural? Not werewolves or wizards, based on the books. How about Winter or Summer Knights?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Stepping into the nevernever
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:41:27 PM »
All supernaturals can do precisely this, with training. Including Werewolves actually, IMO. Wizards can, in fact, casually use a spell and do it wherever they like. Anything else has limited areas that should be clearly defined where they can do it, but yeah, it's everything.

Offline Da_Gut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »
Hmm. I've read all twelve of the Dresden books - though not recently, I'll admit. I don't recall Dresden casually stepping into the nevernever. He seems to go to specific points to enter it. Am I misremembering, or is it that he is capable of stepping casually into the nevernever, but doesn't because its highly likely to be a Bad Idea. (I don't remember the details, but how did he end up in the dining hall of the Master of the Wild Hunt? Was that a casual excursion into the nevernever (or not casual, but a desperate attempt to get away from something, so he did it blind?).

Werewolves - where would you propose that they be able to step over? They don't even count as magic/supernatural for inflicting of harm.....

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 09:55:43 PM »
He can, technically, do it anywhere.  It's just a case of whether or not it's a good idea to do it when he has no idea what is on the other side... or if the other side might actually be safer than where he is at the time... ;)
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:58:43 PM »
And also of, as a Wizard, it requiring a bit of actual magic (ie: Evocation or Thaumaturgy) which he's often short of the time and energy to do.

And a werewolf would likely be able to cross over, with training, at sites of personal importance. Remember Thomas's ability to go to the Raith caves not due to it being a place of lust, but because he was almost sacrificed there? Places like that, or a beloved childhood home.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 10:04:53 PM »
Hmm. I've read all twelve of the Dresden books - though not recently, I'll admit. I don't recall Dresden casually stepping into the nevernever. He seems to go to specific points to enter it. Am I misremembering, or is it that he is capable of stepping casually into the nevernever, but doesn't because its highly likely to be a Bad Idea.
Exactly. He can step over everywhere, but you never know where you end up until you actually step over. So he tries to avoid the need to do so. Ideally you use ways to which you know the entry and exits, and that you know to be safe.
(I don't remember the details, but how did he end up in the dining hall of the Master of the Wild Hunt? Was that a casual excursion into the nevernever (or not casual, but a desperate attempt to get away from something, so he did it blind?).
Yup, he saw no other way out. So he opened a way without knowing where he'd end up... and it nearly got him killed... how unusual for our favorite wizard *g*
Werewolves - where would you propose that they be able to step over? They don't even count as magic/supernatural for inflicting of harm.....
That's one thing i'm not to sure of... I don't think we ever saw any indication of the Alphas being able to cross over to the nevernever... they are basically just practitioners with the ability to cast one single spell... IMHO their knowledge of magic is to limited to cross over.
And the rule that "all supernatural beings can cross over in places close to their nature" wouldn't really apply to them. Werewolves are usually mortals, they are not supernatural entities with ties to the nevernever, which is what "supernatural being" means in this case i think.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 10:09:15 PM »
That's why I keep emphasizing "with training". I see no reason they couldn't in theory, but someone would need to teach them how.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 01:52:44 AM »
In one of the Kelly Armstrong books, some mortals learn to work some basic magic (by sacrificing children for power) even though mortals aren't capable of magic at all. It's suggested that they might have had some sort of supernatural blood in them that has been diluted so thoroughly that they can only do the most minor of tricks with a lot of effort, however that supernatural blood is what draws them to spell casting in the first place.

So for werewolves, perhaps it's some latent ability that's inside them. Untapped potential which makes them yearn for magic like a goldfish in a bowl dreams of the ocean... and some of them happen to find a way to use that potential.

It's pure speculation but it sounds nice and explains why there aren't more werewolves running around.