Author Topic: Physical Strain of Writing/Reading  (Read 6435 times)

Offline swalizer

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Physical Strain of Writing/Reading
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 02:34:25 AM »
* Take a five minute break and stretch every hour that I'm at the computer.

+1 problem solved. I'm a software developer and spend TONS of time on a computer. Take periodic breaks or your body will make you regret it.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 04:04:22 PM »

+1 problem solved. I'm a software developer and spend TONS of time on a computer. Take periodic breaks or your body will make you regret it.

On the other hand, if you're the kind of person for whom four hours straight are about sixteen times as productive as four chunks of an hour each, there can be compelling reason not to take those breaks.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline swalizer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 05:09:20 PM »

On the other hand, if you're the kind of person for whom four hours straight are about sixteen times as productive as four chunks of an hour each, there can be compelling reason not to take those breaks.

After watching my father go through five surgeries in the past two years on both arms and his back, it's not that compelling, trust me. It's really not that disruptive to stand up and go get a drink and stretch in the process. Also if you're experiencing physical pain it would seem to me that that would be more disruptive to concentration than the time it takes to stand up and stretch.

There are also useful things you can do such as stretching exercises for the hands/wrists/back etc when you're not at the computer or when you stop to think for a second that can really help. Personally I've discovered playing guitar works wonders for my writsts/hands as the muscle usage/stretching provides the perfect offset for what you do while working on the comuter.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 05:13:19 PM »
I've tried the bed thing before, and it almost works.  I think the energy is right because it's my room, my space, but then my back gets to hurting being propped up in bed like that.

Not meaning to get overly personal here, but what position are you lying in ?

lol...just a sitting position, with my legs stretched out and my back against the wall.  Much like Jim Butcher's position in that great writing cave photo that's floating around here someplace.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Kaos Wizard

• Conversationalist
  • Keep an open mind and it'll get wet when it rains
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 04:43:44 AM »
There are lots of times where I've gone on a long writing stint, and not always in the most ergonomical conditions. One of the reasons I like having a wireless keyboard or writing on my laptop is I can switch to a lot of different positions and often if need be. Also I find that if I spend too much time writing with out moving away from the screen the quality goes down noticeably, so I make myself take breaks (walk the dog, make a snack, run an errand) usually come back a little fresher and I've taken some time to do the mental work of writing during my break so that hopefully I actually have something to write. I also find that I get better output if I only write for one or two hours at a time, when I do this I usually try to schedule it out so that I have at least an hour every day to write.

Rashad 117

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 05:26:01 AM »
Taking a five minute break isn't disruptive to the writing process (at least  not for me anyway). Sometimes it actually helps in that I'm not just sitting at a computer concentrating on what to think of next. Also it's good to maybe keep a little note pad handy in case any new ideas pop into your head during break time so you don't forget them. A little relaxation helps the creative process a lot

Offline Kaos Wizard

• Conversationalist
  • Keep an open mind and it'll get wet when it rains
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 12:16:08 AM »
Or a lot of cell phones these days have a voice recording feature and you can make quick little memoes to yourself with that. I like that cause I get to start each recording with "Memo to self..."

Rashad 117

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 11:57:14 AM »
Hmmm. Gonna have to get a cell phone with that feature so I can say "memo to self"...

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 04:24:55 AM »
The biggest injury I've suffered from with writing has been hand/wrist strain, and as others have said, that's largely due to a bad ergonomic set-up and not taking breaks to stretch and rest.  I used to think all of that was a hassle, but then I had to go to hand therapy for 6 months.  There I realized my hands are my livelihood, and little concessions are really worth it in the long run.
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com