Author Topic: Physical Strain of Writing/Reading  (Read 6436 times)

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Physical Strain of Writing/Reading
« on: February 13, 2007, 04:18:36 PM »
Does anyone else have the problem of getting thrown off their writing groove by physical discomfort from sitting so long?

If I sit for 4 or 5 hours my back starts to hurt, and my legs get all stiff, and then my mind starts to get distracted from the story.  My mind is still into it, hasn't hit writer's block or anything like that.  It just starts to address the physical pain and eventually I just have to stop because of the discomfort.  Not that it's really painful or anything, just enough so that my brain switches priorities.

It's this way with reading, too.  I can only read for a couple of hours tops before my eyes start to hurt and my neck gets a cramp.

Anyone have this happen, or have any home remedies/preventions for it?

BLG

I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Cathy Clamp

• Participant
  • Dances with Segues
    • View Profile
    • C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp Official Website
Re: Physical Strain of Writing/Reading
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 04:47:44 PM »
Sounds like you've got an ergonomic problem (at least when writing.) You need to check out your work station. Here's how it should work, from the mouth of a career paralegal and now professional writer (so I've spent a LOT of time at the keyboard for the past 25 years):

1.  When seated at your desktop or laptop, your feet should sit flat on the floor without either pressing your knees UP or dangling loose. Don't cross your legs, rest them on a step stool or tuck them behind the legs of your chair.

2.  The monitor should be positioned so that when you look straight ahead, with your head and neck in a normal position, the MIDDLE of the screen should be directly in the center of your vision. That probably means (as it does for most desktop set-ups) that you'll need to raise up your monitor. I have mine sitting on bricks to achieve this. If you have to lower your eyes, you'll also be lowering your chin and causing strain on your shoulder muscles over the course of several hours.

3.  Your keyboard should be positioned so that when you sit normally and bend your arms at the elbow, the keys are directly below your fingertips. Again, you'll probably need to raise or lower your keyboard--depending on the table/desk it's on.

If using a laptop, consider buying an external, plug-in keyboard so you can raise the height of the monitor. That's usually the biggest strain on your neck and shoulders.

If you mouse a lot without actually typing (when researching, etc.) move the mouse and pad to your lap instead of holding your arm at an unnatural angle. It takes a little getting used to, but you'll find it really allows you to spend more time at the screen.

Hope that helps and good luck! :)
Smiles!
Cathy Clamp
Touch of Evil, USA Today bestseller
Magic's Design, now available everywhere
COLD MOON RISING, coming soon, 8/09. Preorder today!
visit our website to read sample chapters--http://www.ciecatrunpubs.com

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 05:53:20 PM »
Good advice. 

I do write on my laptop.  The issue is that I can't write at home.  For whatever reason, the energy just isn't right.  I've tried to arrange my desk different ways, decorate it to create an atmosphere, but nothing seems to work.  I think it's because home is where I relax and veg out, not work. 

So I write at Borders Bookstore, or Perkin's Restaraunt...and occassionally at Starbucks.  So I'm pretty much stuck with the hight of whatever table I'm sitting at. 

I know part of the problem is the chairs at Borders are wood with no cushions; very uncomfortable after a few hours.  But I really like the energy in that place.  Books all around, most of the people are in there to do some sort of thinking or cultivating of the mind...so there's good creative energy flying all over the place.

I guess I'll just have to tough it out and work int 4-5 hour spurts.  That's about all I have anyway, since I write after I get off work at 5, and Borders closes at 10 on weekdays.  But on weekends I usually get there around noon and settle in for a good 8-12 hour run.

If I can have someone come with me to watch my laptop, I usually take a break and mingle the store for fifteen minutes or so, and that helps work out the kinks in my back.  But I'm very picky about who's sitting with me while I'm writing.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.  I'll use them at home, at any rate.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 06:07:12 PM »
Another suggestion...kneeling chairs.

I'm currently trying to get one for the office, but I have to jump through corporate hoops to do so.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 07:53:16 PM »
I hate corporate stuff. 

What are kneeling chairs exactly?

Offline CrazyGerbilLady

• Posty McPostington
  • Rumblestrut!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 05:00:34 AM »
I have developed arthritis and tendinitis so ya, physical strain is an issue.  I basically just put in whatever I can for the day and look at it as, it's better than nothing.  (Well and I've got physical therapy going which hopefully will make things better in time.)
SqueakyTiki, goddess of rodents and other small furries

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 02:56:35 PM »
Aside from trying to keep good posture in a chair, I also find I move around a lot while writing. Odd, but true. I know one of the biggest pieces of advice for getting writing done is to keep your butt in the chair, but I just tend to get a nervous energy once I've got a story flowing. I write in piecemeal, adding a paragraph here, a section of dialogue there, until it all connects and makes a scene or a chapter. In between, I tend to get up, pace, go look out the window, and generally drive anyone around me to distraction. Sometimes I do some stretching while thinking through a character's next action. This helps cut down on any soreness or tension I get while sitting in one spot for a while. Plus, I'm at a desk all day at work, and even then I often need to hop up and take a lap around the building sometimes. 
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt

Offline buckarama

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 03:35:08 PM »
I sit in my lazy boy with my laptop, very nice. My dog is very cozy also. My biggest issue is drinking a soda or tea or something and then having to go to the bathroom. Maybe I'll put the lazy boy cushion on the toilet! Eureka!  ;D

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 03:50:26 PM »
I spend pretty much the entirety of every working day sitting in front of a monitor, so I write on my laptop lying down in bed. It seems to work OK.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 05:13:16 PM »
I've tried the bed thing before, and it almost works.  I think the energy is right because it's my room, my space, but then my back gets to hurting being propped up in bed like that.

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 04:03:13 AM »
My bed is for sleeping. If I tried to write in my bed, I would be snoring before I got to the second paragraph. That's the only downside to a really comfy spot...it can be too comfy.

www.jrvogt.com
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt

Rashad 117

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 08:47:25 AM »
Think I have similar problems sometimes of physical strain and moving around. Usually I take a short 5 minute break and stand or stretch and it seems to help generally. I get nervous energy sometimes when I'm in "the flow" and my story seems to progress smoothly but I generally fight through it cause hopping around ain't gonna get my story written. My main problem is when I run out of ideas and get stuck I start thonking so hard of something to write I think I can feel my brain actually sweating. Geez. Anyway man, good luck.

Rashad 117

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
* Take a five minute break and stretch every hour that I'm at the computer.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 08:21:53 PM »
I've tried the bed thing before, and it almost works.  I think the energy is right because it's my room, my space, but then my back gets to hurting being propped up in bed like that.

Not meaning to get overly personal here, but what position are you lying in ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Cathy Clamp

• Participant
  • Dances with Segues
    • View Profile
    • C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp Official Website
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 11:42:25 PM »
I hate corporate stuff. 

What are kneeling chairs exactly?

They have no backrest, and use the body's natural balance between your tail and knees to support your weight.  A kneeling chair: http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=170712&Ntt=ergonomic%20chair&uniqueSearchFlag=true&An=text
Smiles!
Cathy Clamp
Touch of Evil, USA Today bestseller
Magic's Design, now available everywhere
COLD MOON RISING, coming soon, 8/09. Preorder today!
visit our website to read sample chapters--http://www.ciecatrunpubs.com