Author Topic: Similarity of style and necessary 'bits'  (Read 1219 times)

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
Similarity of style and necessary 'bits'
« on: June 30, 2010, 04:36:36 PM »
Hi all!  This will be similar to some other questions I've seen, but I still want to throw it out there.

Basically, how close is too close as far as following a similar build-up, at least, in a story, to what a major author has already done/used?  I am not talking about intentional copying, but how certain elements are common to a given genre or situation.

More details:

So I was back reading one of my favorite author's (John Ringo) first books.  Definitely the first in his most major series, but perhaps his actual first book.  I started re-reading it because I like his style and how he accomplishes certain things like avoiding exposition, so I wanted to sort of take a look at his style again.  Ok, and I just really like it.

Anyway, he writes a lot about near-future alien invasions of Earth, and he writes from a very 'down-to-earth' viewpoint, generally at or near "grunt" level, if you will.

An author (who is occasionally mentioned in Ringo's books, as it happens) in a similar vein is David Weber, who tends to write far future space navy battles.

My story contains elements of both, in a mid-future timeframe.  However, upon re-reading I am discovering certain common elements that in many cases must be there: presidential address to the nation(s, in this case), power armor, cabinet-level briefings, ship workups and more. 

So how bad is this little discovery, have others encountered it before, and what things in other genres (or this one - scifi) do you find are common and almost required elements?  Thanks!
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Similarity of style and necessary 'bits'
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
My story contains elements of both, in a mid-future timeframe.  However, upon re-reading I am discovering certain common elements that in many cases must be there: presidential address to the nation(s, in this case), power armor, cabinet-level briefings, ship workups and more. 

I don't think any of those are things you need worry about as being too much things that would like they were lifted from those authors in specific; they are each of them things that occur across a wide range of stuff, not at all limited to military SF.  I mean, at a crisis of a certain scale for a polity that is similar in political workings to the contemporary US, presidential-level and cabinet-level responses will happen; they show up in disaster movies and so on because they're realistic, it's why they're a genre element in the first place. 

There is probably a defined set of protocols somewhere for how the US government is supposed to react to major emergencies and crises and what their options are.  It may for all I know be possible to find some of that online - not a direction in which i am interested myself so I've not looked it up - and it would not surprise me to discover that the authors you mention have researched the specific procedures that are relevant to what they are doing and then extrapolated as apt.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Similarity of style and necessary 'bits'
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 02:34:58 PM »
you would be hard pressed to find write anything that has never been used before by someone, there are just to many authors out there for you not to have elements of someone ell's story, they key is to make yours stand out in a different way.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.