Author Topic: Dresden Themed Fate "Tokens"  (Read 6431 times)

Offline Grogtard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Dresden Themed Fate "Tokens"
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:59:12 AM »
I'm baaack!
Tokens are pretty handy to keep track of Fate Points during a game. I'm a big Savage Worlds fan and one thing that a lot of game masters do is used themed Bennies (much like Fate Points) tokens to add a little extra atmosphere to their games. Just take a gander at this thread over at the PEG Forums.
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27302
For my game I was thinking about getting a bunch of little skulls to use.  An army of Bobs! Scary.  Anybody else thinking along the same lines or have any other cool ideas to add a little extra atmosphere to their games.
Just because I haven't posted recently, doesn't mean I haven't been on the forum.

Offline austinmonster

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Themed Fate "Tokens"
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 02:23:22 AM »
I bought a sack of Go stones to use personally.  I have yet to think of any reason how I can use the black/white stones or make them different, but I like the feeling of being able to pick them up the way you pick up go stones between your index and middle fingers.

Offline kalanthros

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 06:33:29 AM »
I picked up a bunch of replica medieval coins at a local medieval market back in may - and these are what we use for our fate points...and they actually fit quite nicely in the "fate" point spot on the character sheet :)  I'll see if I can't upload a pic of them when I get home.

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 05:32:58 PM »
I just use Poker Chips from running Deadlands

Offline Chlorofiend

• Participant
  • Plant Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 05:50:53 PM »
I picked up a bunch of replica medieval coins at a local medieval market back in may - and these are what we use for our fate points...and they actually fit quite nicely in the "fate" point spot on the character sheet :)  I'll see if I can't upload a pic of them when I get home.

Hmmm. I wonder if anyone sells cheap replica denarii...say, of Augustus or Tiberius...

...no, that would just be evil8)
"Little holes are from Marcone's thug. Big dent was a chlorofiend," I said.
"A what?"
"Plant monster."
"Oh. Why don't you just say 'plant monster?'"
"I have my pride."

--Harry and Susan, Death Masks

Offline Esoteric Wombat

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »
I remember a Fate thread on rpg.net about running star wars with Fate. One suggestion was to use black and white (or red and blue) fate tokens. The white tokens are normal fate points, dealt with in the normal way. The black tokens were pit in the middle of the table, within easy reach for everybody. These were dark side points, and you could use as many of them as you wanted, absolutly no strings attached  ;)

As for what I will use, it's not themed, but I have some really nice, well weighted poker chips. There's something amazingly satisfying about feeling the weight in your hands, clicking the chips together, and throwing them at players.

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 07:51:14 PM »
Any time a game has some sort of extra point/dice option (Edge in MechWarrior, Drama in 7th Sea, Willpower in White Wolf, etc), the ideas hit the table and we see what we have on hand. Normally we resort to decks of cards, but we try to spice it up a bit more.

When If I get a group together for Dresden, the following thematic options are open to me:

-- Poker Chips (classic, and with the cheap set I have, I could paint some of the random sigils on them)
-- Old Futhark Rune Set (some "vanished" during my last move)
-- Incomplete Tarot Card Deck (don't ask)
-- Beer bottle caps or soda tabs (tell me that it's not fitting for a Dresden game when the guy always drinks Mac's Ale and cans of Coke)
-- Coins from a coin jar (because how many times has he had to scrape the bottom of his pockets for things?)

Given time, I could probably make up a new set of runes/sigils/symbols as token size. I also have a few bags of stones (machined bits and natural chunks of stone), various CCG decks (ranging from Magic: The Gathering to 7th Sea), and I think we have some old Halloween lights floating around.

I've also been kicking around the idea of using chess pieces (pawns, primarily) in various games. Not AS fitting for Dresden, but with enough of the Sidhe, White Council, White Court and general bureaucracy milling around, it may be fitting. That, and it makes a "King of the Moment" scene that much easier to crown.
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 11:51:09 PM »
From Fire Mountain Gems (makers of jewelry items)
1" Replica Chinese coins.  They will be light though, brass plated aluminum
40 of them will cost you about $8 plus shipping.
http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H203624FN

These are brass so would feel more like real coins even though they are only 3/4".
Also $8 for 40.
http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H203625FN

Gold plated brass 3/4" Roman replica coins, $5.24 for 50.
http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H208683FD

Offline Eleri

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 11:55:13 PM »
The Game Crafter has metallic painted plastic dubloons, for the lazy/cheap of us. They've got tokens that fit printed stickers, too.

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 12:06:13 AM »
I use bullet casings as plot points for Supernatural and Serenity. Not sure what I'm going to do for my dresden game yet... but its coming up so I need to figure it out soon. lol.

Offline SavageMage

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Savage Mage
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 05:02:12 PM »
The idea's already been bounced around on the boards. Let's see if I can find that thread....

AH! here it is.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,17533.0.html

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 05:20:12 PM »
I read the other thread and It seems they are going for poker chips.  I like the Denarian spin.

http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H208726FD

Silver roman coin.

Any other ideas?

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »
I use these http://www.save-on-crafts.com/cobaltgems.html

They are cheap, easy to get hold of and they look nice when used as fate points or, when I first bought them, as life tokens in Magic:The Gathering (three different colours to represent 1, 5 and 20 life).

Offline fabulator

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 11:37:54 PM »
A company called Dragonfire Laser Crafts does lots of custom etching/engraving/woodburning and they love doing work for gaming stuff.  The guy who owns the company is a being Living Arcanis/Chronicles of Shattered Empires nut and did a ton of stuff for that campaign. www.dragonfirelaser.com is the website, could probably get a set of tokens cheaply.

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 06:22:39 AM »
I use these http://www.save-on-crafts.com/cobaltgems.html

They are cheap, easy to get hold of and they look nice when used as fate points or, when I first bought them, as life tokens in Magic:The Gathering (three different colours to represent 1, 5 and 20 life).
Walmart sells those pretty cheapy.

Litko Aerosystems has some interesting tokens in plastic (skulls and the like).
http://www.litkoaero.com/

For my own game I cast a set of Futhark Runes out of plaster for my Scion of Thor character, total time was just a few hours.  Cost me about $1.00 in plaster and paint as well as a couple or three hours of time, about half of which was spent watching TV while I base coated everything.  Unfortunately I don't have a decent camera, so all I have is a few webcam pics of one next to my Ipod Shuffle for size comparison and a shot of the set.

I tried something new with these (using Play-Doh right out of the can for molds), it worked well; each piece is slightly concave and is irregular enough that they look hand carved instead of the uniform manufactured look I'd have gotten if I'd used a rubber mold.

For those of you looking for an easier project, stop by Walmart.  You can pick up a pound of Sculpey for about $6 and a couple tubes of acrylic paint for $1 each.  Sculpey is modeling clay that you work just like any other clay until you dry it in the oven for a bit.  I used Sculpey to make the master blank rune for my plaster castings.