Author Topic: Introducing a Wizard to the "Real World" without paraphrasing Jim...  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Joelok314

• Participant
  • When it is darkest, the light shines the brightest
    • View Profile
Hey,

I'm wanting to start a wizard, but I want to have him be a part of both the "regular" world and the supernatural world. The problem I'm having is I can't think of many ways to fit him into that spot between both world without restrictions or redoing what Jim B. did. I have three ideas that I could think of below:

1) The Supernatural Mercenary/Security Group

Basically I'd be hired on by those who are "In the know" and either need protection from powerful beings or need to strike out at them, but don't have the necessary knowledge or "tools" to do so. The problems I see with this is that it would likely be restricted to the wealthier groups (or tend more towards the Dresden technique in being a pro bono poor guy). Also, it would be hard to routinely work with the rest of the group without having them all be part of a group contract (and some might not want to do that).

2) The Dresden Technique

Obviously I could work as some sort of PI or even a cop who (discreetly or not) using magic to solve cases. It could definitely work, as shown in the books. But I don't want to redo the books story (even if the struggles are different)

3) The Batman Technique

I could work as a behind the scenes vigilante. Protecting the Mundanes from the supernatural horrors. The problem with this is, how would I connect with society? If I just watched from the sidelines, it would be difficult to spot the problems all by myself. The only thing I can think of is possibly running up a list of those I've saved as a bunch of contacts (Similar to "The Shadow", he knows ya know! sorry couldn't help it).

The third option could be viable as it would give me flexibility and not have to have the group center around my idea. But can you guys think of other ways to have a wizard in the mainstream society? Or maybe you can think of ways to counteract the "Cons" of the above options.

Preemptive thanks to any ideas...
A man once told me death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.

Do you think a man can change his destiny?
I think a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed to him.

May the best day of your past, be the worst day of your future.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing a Wizard to the "Real World" without paraphrasing Jim...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 02:03:36 AM »
You mean, someone who is know to the regular world as a wizard, or something similar?

You could be some respect community figure, who people come to with problems: a priest, small town 'elder', something like that.  Coming from the other end, you could be a figure in organized crime instead, "Nobody messes with Don Gandalf..."

For another take, you could be someone who kids, instead of adults, come to with problems.  A teacher, librarian, sports coach, or something like that.

Instead of a PI, you could be a lawyer who could handle things like divorce on the grounds of discovering my spouse is half-demon, or something like that.

You could be a troubleshooter for a large company, "There have been several car accidents at this bridge over the past month, and the company is tired of paying out for the insurance claims.  Go and sort that troll out."

Offline Joelok314

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 02:54:08 AM »
You mean, someone who is know to the regular world as a wizard, or something similar?

Doesn't have to be as known as Harry with his own ad in the book, but something along those lines...

but I think I'd prefer something more along the lines of known by referral...

As for your ideas... I could see the first one except we aren't doing a small town, we haven't decided which, but we're going to be using somewhere big. The second? Ummm, not sure this would work too well. Wouldn't it restrict the storyline? I doubt kids would come to someone like that for political intrigue or problems with the supernatural... Number three? Possible, might need a little tweaking, but could work. Four, um, hmmmmm. I just don't see any major big business doing this. A bit of a waste of money for most CEO's and board looking at the budget... (though, heck, maybe that could be a plotline or aspect, lol)

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 04:59:10 AM »
I am Zandar! Mighty wizard. Three nights a week in Vegas! I stump mere illusianists with my mystical powers. No cameras please.

Plus provides cover for 1 or 2 lovely assistants.

Offline Dumbledresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 05:38:19 AM »
You will always have problems with tech- so a cop who would have to write his report might have problems to explain, why his computer starts exploding every once in a while...same with someone who works for any kind of company, trying to keep his secret.

My favorite idea of playing a well known wizard is, to make him some kind of stage magician.
Other possibilities might be, a bar owner or a teacher/professor at school or small university.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:52:57 AM by Captain Obvious »
"Mad? He's a genius! Best wizard in the world! But he is a bit mad, yes."

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 07:55:39 AM »
The Superman Technique? Why not be a mild-mannered reporter? Admittedly you'd be an odd one, banging out your articles on an old typewriter rather than use a computer (for some reason you just have the worst luck with them) but your eccentricities are forgiven as you regularly turn in the most juicy gossip on celebs and politicians (divination rituals) or something.

Offline Thaumologist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 10:30:29 AM »
street performer?

Everyone sees a street magician, and watches, and will often accept as magic. IF you've ever seen the edinburgh fringe festival, you'll know what i mean. And being on the street means you can overhear people talking.

And finally, in TC (Sorta spoilery, nothing major)
(click to show/hide)
and he makes money through busking/shows?

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »
Let me just say one word... okay, a sentence... ok... maybe even more.

Who you gonna call?

Why not a magical exterminator type.

Are Brownies stealing your cookies?
Is a Poltergeist messing with your Books?

Sedricks Supernatural Solutions
We clear your home of disruptive influences.

Cleansing Rituals & Preventative Feng Shui
Call: 0800-EXORCIST

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 01:22:32 PM »
From White Night on, Harry starts up the "paranet" where those in the know get in touch with others to help with problems.

It's like what the White Council does for the wizards, but it's for the poor schmucks who the Council thinks is not worth the time. You could be a member of the Paranet. You could have a day job - bartender, taxi driver, hourseback riding coach, etc - and by night someone who works for the paranet.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline GoldenH

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 05:35:06 PM »
Most of these options kind of ignore the part about having wizards *be a part of human society*, that is, if you have a mercenary or batman or whatever (even Harry) they're not doing stuff normal people do. So I'd start off looking at that. Are they going to be part of supernatural society or mortal society? And I think if you decide they are part of mortal society you start seeing a lot of ways to introduce a wizard into things. Even as a supernatural society, you could have anything from a faith healer to Steve Irwin

Offline Joelok314

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 11:54:25 PM »
Let me just say one word... okay, a sentence... ok... maybe even more.

Who you gonna call?

Why not a magical exterminator type.

Are Brownies stealing your cookies?
Is a Poltergeist messing with your Books?

Sedricks Supernatural Solutions
We clear your home of disruptive influences.

Cleansing Rituals & Preventative Feng Shui
Call: 0800-EXORCIST

I must not buy an old fashioned Ambulance... I must not buy an old fashioned Ambulance... I must not buy an old fashioned Ambulance...  ;D ::) ;D

I like some of these ideas, especially the last entry by GoldenH. I just got the picture of a shop that offers alternate healing as well as a retailer of arcane items or components that would likely look like junk to those not "in the know".

EDIT: Though getting some sort of siren would be funny...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:56:15 PM by Joelok314 »

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 07:40:05 AM »
my idea would be a rich (or at last he would not have to have a steady job) dillentante who works openly as wizard. most will see him as a crackpot and weirdo, but in reality he's just a community wizard, wiseman, a helping hand, part consultant, part magical mercernary. just the guy to go to if you have strange trouble or you are really desperate.

you're a farmer and you are really desperate because weather is about ruining your crops? you remember having read about a wizard... he might be a fraud, but you have to try anything or you lose your farm.
you're a mother and your daughter can't sleep because of your nightmares? you already thought of a visit to a psychologist, but then you saw that ad of a "wizard". he might be a charlatan but his fees are quite cheaper...
you've bought the house of your dreams but you keep hearing strange noises in the night?
you've heard stories that you grandfather buried a treasure somewhere and now are really desperate to believe in the old family myth?
your son vanished 2 years ago and police and private investigators still have no clue?
as a rich businessman you think a business rival uses a bokor to get rid of you (and yes he did), the last security company you were to hire body guards laughed at you...

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 04:16:31 PM »
The idea of living in both worlds just adds to the challenge, and really does make things interesting. But to get to your problem of existing in both: start from one end, then move into the other. I usually find it easier if I take a character's "day job" into consideration before moving on.

The police force and detectives (freelance and otherwise) are always a great place for story fodder. An ectomancer who works in a homicide department is a pretty obvious one, but even someone working with Special Victims who manifests some powers in a backstory wouldn't be too far off the mark.

I had the following ideas mentioned for lawyers: A Sidhe, A White Court Virgin/Vampire, and someone has mentioned the idea of just being a "Wizard in the Courtroom." (and if that last one doesn't just scream possibilities for a spellcaster, I don't know what will). Yes, non-wizard options, but just showing what sort of things can be dropped onto the table.

Of course, you could also ignore linking professions and primary abilities, which also makes it interesting. You can use librarians/book store owners, bartenders/coffee shop employees, or even some lower-end go-fors of a corporation, or some other branch of customer service. From there, you can build up the magic. You already have access to some members of the public/other organizations, so people contacting you for being able to solve things beyond the norm won't be entirely unheard of.

Honestly, I think the Day Job First approach might help you with the concept, especially if they had the day job before they began to manifest their powers, or if they are trying to hold a steady job regardless of the weirdness in their lives.

Personally, I've done (and seen done) the idea of working as a bartender, picking up stories and doing the vigilante approach with his powers, whether for profit/favors (from someone "in the know"), or just to clean up the city; a detective that had one too many contacts with the "other side" and turned to magic for an answer to level the field; a librarian who dabbles into and researches the occult more than people think.

It really can go on and on. . .start with how the wizard is a human being first, having human contacts and interactions, then move yourself up into the realm of the supernatural and the heavy hitters. Not everyone has to be like Harry, isolated from people during youth and always on the move, only finally making friends through work after they settle down.

Just my two cents. Have fun with it.
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 05:24:53 PM »
*The Supernatural Mercenary/Security Group
Regarding problems, it doesn't necessarily have to be wealthier folks, but if you do handle wealthy clients, you can afford to handle smaller clients pro bono or close to it.  Similarly, handling a few big cases with big income frees you to work on other cases with the other player's characters the rest of the time.  Remember, it isn't all about your character, and you don't only have to work on your cases.

See also 'Company Troubleshooter'

*The Dresden Technique
Nothing wrong with this.  Very similar to some of the other methods.

See also Supernatural Mercenary/Security Group and Company Troubleshooter

*The Batman Technique
Why is there a problem connecting with society.  Peter Parker is a photographer and student.  Clark Kent is a reporter.  In addition, you aren't all by yourself, you play with a group, right?  Your group members are part of your 'contacts' and part of how you will get involved with things.

For contacts, you mentioned The Shadow.  There was an old TV show called Stingray where the person did something similar, working for an unspecified 'favor' in the future, and he always had contacts this way as well.

*Community Figure
You can still be a community figure in a large place.  Most cities are broken up into loose neighborhoods, and people tend to stand out among their smaller communities.  They are people who set up youth centers, turn abandoned buildings into useful community areas, organize neighborhood watches, run soup kitchens and more.  Get enough renown and people will come to you from farther away, too.

*Company Troubleshooter
Heck yeah they could do this.  I would say he wouldn't work for one particular company, but would be the contact on the other end of a discreet phone call to 'clean up' a problem.  Put another way, do you think that no company has ever used a hit man or similar connection to rough someone up or worse? 

See Supernatural Mercenary/Security Group

Now I want to say something about this in general.  Basically, many of these, except 'Community Figure', are variations on the same theme.  You will get 'jobs' or leads, at least, based on contacts and the other players. 
I'm going to revert back to the 80's for a minute.  Most games are, I think, more like "Magnum P.I." than either "The A-Team" or "Stingray".

A-Team
"(Ten years ago / In 1972), a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team."

Stingray
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_(NBC_TV_series)
Single mysterious individual travels the country responding to cries for help from the few people who have learned how to reach him.

Magnum P.I.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_pi
A graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, Thomas Magnum served as an officer in the navy and served several tours in Vietnam as a SEAL.  He resigned his commission and lives in Hawaii, working occasionally as a P.I.  Two of his buddies from Vietnam, both Marine vets, also live on the island, occasionally helping him (being suckered into helping) with his cases and occasionally vice-versa.

The point of this is that Magnum and his friends are tightly connected, have some interesting contacts (from rich authors to the island's crime network to local Naval intelligence) and have their own lives.  Magnum does jobs and chills (and deals with Higgins), TC runs a tourist and travel helicopter business and Rick manages a couintry club.  While Magnum is clearly the main character, though, stories come from all angles, and each of the 'party members' brings something different and interesting to the table.
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline ironchicken

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 05:44:54 PM »
I would consider a shop-keeper. Selling tie-dye, hippy stuff, curios, budas, tarot, fengshui etc and have some good stuff in the back. The shop can dim and poorly lit and you use an old style till. Enough 'straights' turn up with 'issues' as openers to stories.