Author Topic: Hedge Witch/Wizard Template  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Clotho19

• Participant
    • View Profile
Hedge Witch/Wizard Template
« on: June 25, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »
I created this template because I felt there was something missing in the low level spell casters Templates. I felt that while the Focused Practitioner is well and good for some low level practitioners, it neglected to show those who have more well rounded mystical portfolio, but lack the ability to use evocation or Channeling.

Hedge Witches and Hedge Wizards are quite skilled at numerous spells and areas of magic, but they take time to actually cast their spells. This is reflected in their ability to use Thaumaturgy just like Wizards or Sorcerers but they lack the power or skill to actually wield Evocations.
Many Hedge Witches and Hedge Wizards colour their magic and spells with some alternative religious feel, being that many are also Wiccans, New Age believers, practitioners of religions like Sanitaria or Voodoo etc. This means that for them to cast their spells they need the trappings of their faith and their beliefs, for example most Wiccans have an altar which they practice their magic, including statues of various deities and other magical trappings like a pentacle, Athame, incense etc.

Musts: A Hedge Witch or Hedge Wizard must take a High Concept that declares his or her nature as a Hedge Witch or Hedge Wizard, such as MEMBER OF THE ORDO LEBES or SOCCER MUM/WITCH. In addition the Character must take the following supernatural power:

Thaumaturgy [–3] (YS page 181)

See the power description for more details.

Options: Hedge Witches/Wizards may take the Sight (-1) which would function the same as for Wizards and Sorcerers, but this is rare. In addition, they may take Refinement (-1), once per play, but once again this is very rare. It should be noted that they can never take Evocation, if they want to purchase Evocation they must upgrade to Wizard or Sorcerer.

Important Skills: Conviction (YS page 124), Discipline (YS page 127), Lore (YS page 134).

Minimum Refresh Cost: -3

From the Casefiles: Kim Delaney (OW130). Also Anna Ash, (OW103), simply replaces Rituals with Thaumaturgy and raises her refresh to -3. In addition Charity Carpenter when she was younger was a Hedge Witch.

Tell me what you think about this template :-)

Offline Ala Alba

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Witch/Wizard Template
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »
In my humble opinion, templates are merely guidelines. I certainly don't pay much attention to them unless I want a specific type of character(for example, a White Court Vampire or a Wizard).

If I want to make a character that isn't covered by one of the templates, I haven't really felt any need to justify it with an entirely new "template".

As far as templates go, however, I see nothing wrong with it.

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 04:25:45 PM »
I love Templates. I think having guidelines for many different kinds of characters is great for people new to the system. Gives us somewhere to start when making characters and even ideas for new characters to rp.

All in all I like it, good job. :)
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 07:41:17 PM »
I think it should have a base of Ritual with the option of going up to Thaumaturgy. Not all Hedge Witchhes are quite that powerful. Yeah, that overlaps with Minor Talent, but it likely should.

Other than that, looks good.  :)

Offline Clotho19

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 08:30:40 PM »
I think it should have a base of Ritual with the option of going up to Thaumaturgy. Not all Hedge Witchhes are quite that powerful. Yeah, that overlaps with Minor Talent, but it likely should.

I didn't because possing ritual is covered under minor talents, its a -2 power and minor talents sometimes have a -2 power. It is a different template, and in my view knowing a few spells dealing with a specific area is a minor talent, this template is something that a minor talent with ritual could grow into, rather than just becoming a focused practioner, which is why i made it. I feel it covers the missing piece concering those who practice magic, but don't have the power to do anything without ritual, and at the same time can cast lots of different spells, rather than one's focused on one area of magic. The character in my game who is playing one, started out as a minor talent having ritual (Wards) -2, grow into this template by upgrading her ritual to Thaumaturgy and maybe could grow into a wizard in time, either way it works for me. Hell there is even an example Kim Delaney (OW130), she possess Thaumaturgy and no other power.

Offline rickayelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 09:43:38 PM »
The hedge witch/wizard as they are now seams to me to simply be a sorceror without evocation. They have 1 level of refinement just like a sorceror, they can have the sight, though it is not a requirement, just like a sorceror, they are a sorceror. Now if you wanted to make a hedge wizard that could gain thaumaturgic refinements like a wizard, but at the cost of never being able to use evocation, unless they gain a sponsor of course, that would be more interesting to me.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 09:46:18 PM »
I agree with the previous responses. Templates are just recipes.
The term "Sorceror" is just the WC's common parlance for unregistered spellcasters and lesser talents. They have many different names besides just Sorcerer.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 09:58:42 PM »
Templates aren't necessary, but they are convenient.

First, they're a shorthand to communicate what you are talking about. You can name off the template, and a listener/reader that is familiar with it will know what you're talking about. Labels are convenient that way.

Second, they offer something to help players choose what they'd like a character to be. As was mentioned above, they're recipes. Sometimes it helps to flip through a recipe book to decide what you want to make.

So if it helps you to make new templates, I say more power to you.