Author Topic: Post Yourself As A DFRPG Character!  (Read 4649 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Post Yourself As A DFRPG Character!
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:57:56 AM »
I'm a giant geek, and I've always found these fun, so let's do it. Feel free to explain anything you need explanation for, try to be honest, and don't go above Chest Deep or outside the Pure Mortal stuff. I doubt any of us are above that level, and I doubt anyone can prove any supernatural or psychic abilities they may have.  ;)

I'll go first, at Waist Deep:

Name: Deadmanwalking (well, not really, but y'know).

Aspects:
High Concept: Self Aware Psych Student (I'm a Psych student, and extremely self-aware and introspective)
Trouble: Born To The Wrong Life (I'm really good at all the wrong things for life in modern society, like ignoring peer pressure, telling stories, and making difficult moral choices...and really bad at things like getting up at a particular time and meeting deadlines)
Other:
Am I The Only One Who Had A Good Childhood? (My childhood was really good, and my parents and I get along great. This seems unique among my peer group.)
Brilliant, But Lazy (What it sounds like, I'm really quite smart, but one of the laziest people you've ever met. In school I get either A's, or Incompletes.)
Luck Favors The Careful (I'm careful, even cautious, and yet one of the luckiest people I've ever met. Good fortune smiles on me.)
My Own Faith And Morality (I'm a Paga of a very individualized sort, and have my own standards which I will keep to come hell or high water. They have little to do with society's, though.)
Ruthless And Vindictive (I'm a nice guy and hard to piss off, but if you do, be afraid. I'm also capable of hurting or even, I think, killing fellow human beings without feeling bad about it. I wouldn't, but that's purely because I believe it's wrong intellectually.)

Skills:

Good: Conviction, Empathy, Rapport, Scholarship,
Fair: Contacts, Deceit, Discipline, Lore
Average: Athletics, Endurance, Investigation, Presence, Weapons,

Stunts:

Blessed Words (Conviction)
Supreme Concentration (Discipline)
Counselor (Empathy)

Total Refresh: 6

Stress:

Mental: OOOO
Physical: OOO
Social: OOO
Armor: Usually, none.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:35:45 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Post Yourself As A DFRPG Character!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:44:37 PM »
Damnit DMW... That's about how I would stat myself out... I just got my psyc BA a couple years back and now I'm working in community mental health... *sigh*

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 03:14:27 PM »
I'm sadly still an undergraduate (though none of the classes I still have to take are actually Psychology).

Still, always nice to meet other people who share your interests.  :)

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:00:06 PM »
Well, maybe at a super-mega-ultra milestone you can revise your high concept to "Self-Aware Psyc Graduate!;) ;)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 06:10:18 PM »
Yeah, with luck. Then (again with luck), I get to go to Grad school!  :)

Yay?  ???

More seriously, anyone else a big enough geek to get in on the action and post yourself? C'mon, you know you want to...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:11:59 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline jalrin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 06:28:59 PM »
I will do mine tonight, but how should we go about calculating which level we are (I was going to do my skill list and go from there but if you have a better idea let me know)?

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 07:03:11 PM »
Alrighty.  Chest deep because I'm older ;)

Name: Tush Hog (rhymes with rush not bush)

Aspects
High Concept: Father of three, teacher of many
Trouble: Middle-aged, middle-class Joe

A life well lived is the best testimony
Gadget guy
Do unto others
Under the radar
Gamer geek

Skills
Great: Conviction, Rapport
Good: Discipline, Scholarship, Presence
Fair: Alertness, Athletics, Empathy, Investigation
Average: Drive, Lore, Endurance, Fists, Survival

Stunts
Tower of faith
Tough stuff
Personal magnetism
Best foot forward
Scientist (Biology)

Total refresh: 5

Stress
Mental 0000
Social 0000
Physical 000
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:20:31 AM by Tush Hog »

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »
Okay this looks fun i'll give it a go.

Name: Archmage_Cowl
High Concept: Possible Writer In Training (And In School) - Working toward's writer but i have to make sure i can get the bills payed first :P
Trouble: Born In The Wrong Age - I should have been born a knight or court wizard in victoria's time. lol
Other Aspects:
Fairy Tales Are More Fun Than Real Life - Lover of all things fantasy as child, also prone to an accessive imagination.
Photographic Memory - About middle i realized i had a photographic memory (especially for the written word) and could fairly easily remember near anything i've read. Unfortunately i get a headache (a bad one, like a migrane) whenever i use it for any length of time.
"If It's Fantasy I've Read It." - i think this one's kinda self explanatory lol.
My Friends Are My Pillars of Support - I love all my friends and my life would be alot less without them.
Hopless Romantic In Waiting - Still trying to find a special someone, and not having much luck. lol

Stress Armor: None usually
Physical OOO
Mental OO
Social OOO

Skill Points 20/20
Great(+4) Preformance, Contacts
Good(+3) Rapport, Scholarship
Fair(+2) Endurance, Lore
Average(+1) Investigation, Presence

Stunts 6+2(5)
Capable Researcher - Can research two time incriments faster.
Poet - +2 to making pieces of written word (though i am not good at poetry at all lol)
Convincing - +1 to rapport rolls when influencing a choice or decision

Cost: -3 adjusted refresh 3
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:45:00 AM by Archmage_Cowl »
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline KaydenM

• Participant
  • When I say "bite me" it's not an invitation.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:30:41 PM »
OH Neat. Coolieo I'll give it a go. :P
Name: Kayleigh
High Concept: Author in Working Progress - Refuses to give up her dream of becomeing an author...however, she has to finish one first.
Trouble: Constantly Distracted - Can't keep her mind on one project, because she's too busy day dreaming.
Other Aspects:
Born with an Open Mind - She has no steady foothold in any one religion, and likes to believe in the possibilities, instead of impossiblieities.
"Reality is CONSTANTLY Getting in My Way" - Believes that there are things past the boundries humanity has set, we just haven't found it yet.
"If it's Sherrilyn Kenyon, I love it!" - Books that should belong to the non-fiction section.
"Do I have tell me you're life's story on my forehead?" - Is easily confided in and trusted to not to tell any of the deepest darkest secrets that you happen to spill to her.
Single and Loving it....most of the time - Not anywhere near wanting a boyfriend because they are too big of a distraction and/or hassle.

Skills
Great - Rapport, Performance
Good - Contacts, Investigation
Fair - Lore, Scholarship
Average - Endurance, Guns

Stunts

Poet - Is excellent at making almost anything from the written word.
Convincing- Can make up a believable story right off the bat.
Superb Concentration- Can concentrate on one thing and make excellent progress.
*Catch* (Something Shiny)
Emergancy Expert- If something happens that is unexpected, normally they can fix it or find a way to solve your problem.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:45:15 PM by Kayleigh »
Zach tilted his head to the side as he looked at the file. "I like this person. They broke the evil villain formula, but being the hero, I have to kill them for it."
I'd love to stay and chat, but hell waits for no soul.
Death is a natural part of life. I'm just helping yours along.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 12:48:18 AM »
People are totally forgetting their Pure Mortal Refresh bonus.  :)

Other than that, well, it's good to see people actually running with the idea, though IMO, most real people's pyramids are a bit broader and shallower than that. Bear in mind that actual, scary, black belts only have Good Fists. I think that's what Murphy has, actually...

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 01:06:34 AM »
I've been planning this is our groups 'based-in-reality-us zombie survival game' will use FATE based on dresden, so I'll post mine within the next couple days.

FutureGameDesigner

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 04:36:23 AM »
I don't have the pdfs on my laptop, so I'll have to do it later, but I like this idea.  My groups do it from time to time, and it's been a while.

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »
Heh, I remember doing this quite often with some friends in the past. Apparently, no one could effectively stat me. . .I blame all the research ^_^;

Let's give this bad boy a whirl. Also at Chest-Deep (as I KNOW I still have a lot more to learn, but not just getting started)

Name: Crion
High Concept: The Dabbling Wiccan Librarian-In-Training - A Wiccan working in a library, taking classes to be a librarian, who researches just about everything. Literally.
Trouble: I Am My Father's Son - Similar looks, same health problems, same curiosity, similar vices and same stubborness, not to mention family complications (especially from members I don't even know about!). This'll be fun.

Other Aspects
Roots of a Tumbleweed - Always moving; makes it difficult to make solid contacts, connections, home (Thresholds suck), etc.
You Can't Forget, Even If You Want To - Great memory for details, but there are things you just can't run away from.
"I think I've Heard of That. . ." - Due to incessant research and plenty of travels, not much is going to be shocking, unheard of, or registering as a blank. Think "Jack of All Trades."
A Bleeding Heart of Gold - Just as it says. Bleeding heart that is in the right place, always trying to help others. Great for a reputation and knowing what to do or say to be liked and helpful, but easy to take advantage of.
Too Eclectic For My Own Good - Always open to new ideas and willing to accept the ideas of others as valid, but can be considered to not have personal opinions or thoughts.

(Aspects left on the cutting room floor, based on things I often say or do: "Pen And Sword In Accord," "According to my book. . .", "If Information Exists, I Can Find It", "No, I Will NOT Fix Your Computer", "Major in English, Minor in B.S.", "My Life Is a Shoujo Manga." Many of these were relevant not long ago, and I can see them coming back around again someday during a milestone ^_~).

Skills {25 points, Cap at "Great"}
Good (+3) - Conviction,  Discipline, Scholarship
Fair (+2) - Weapons, Alertness, Investigation, Empathy, Lore
Average (+1) - Resources, Contacts, Driving, Endurance, Rapport, Presence

Stunts
The Cold Read (see "Read the Surface" on YS152)
Occultist: World Mythology (YS154)
Capable Researcher (YS155) {What, I'm a librarian!}

Stress Armor: None usually
Physical OOO
Mental OOOO
Social OOO

Refresh Costs: -3
Remaining Refresh: 6 (Base 7, -3 Stunts, +2 Vanilla Mortal)

Note: I am trying to come up with a decent stunt for having access to various research materials through my workplace. Think I should just pick the same effect of "High Quality Workspace" and give it a different name, or can I tweak it to give the better workspace qualities with certain drawbacks (multiple topics and rating equal to resources, but limited access, or the expenditure of a Fate Point)? Just wanted to add something that isn't right from the book ^^;
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline osteomancer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 06:22:39 PM »
I have gone ahead with a Up to Your Waist for myself.

Name: Osteomancer
High Concept: Blue Collar Satanist - I currently work for a Home Improvement chain doing various jobs and I am a LaVeyan Satanist
Trouble: On my own save One - Due to separation and tragedy I have no support from any family what so ever of any kind.
Other Aspects:
Good Without God -I was raised Atheist and that there is no need for god or faith in a person's life.
A Machiavellian Mind - I have always been in the mind set to maneuver people the way I wanted.
I know Tragedy - A few years ago my mother and her fiance were attacked in their own home and stabbed several times by my mother's ex-husband (the man who raised me) and he also nearly killed my younger brothers in the same attack.
Emburii is my Pillar - With the chaos in my life the person standing by my side and supporting me made so I got through an impossible time in my life.
My Life is Gaming - I just try to fit as much gaming into my weekly schedule.

Skills:
Good: Conviction, Deceit, Rapport
Fair: Presence, Might, Fists, Lore, Empathy
Average: Alertness, Craftsmanship, Discipline, Endurance, Performance, Scholarship

Stunts:
Mental Calluses: as Tower of Faith (YS150)
Shiv: Using Knives with fists
Locksmith: +2 to Craftsmanship when dealing with Locks
Paranoid? Probably. (YS149)
Read the Surface (YS152)
Calm Blue Ocean (YS151)

Stress
Physical: OOO
Mental: OOOO
Social:) OOO

Remaining Refresh: 3 (Base 7, -6 Stunts, +2 Pure Mortal)

Offline Krager

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 01:55:54 AM »
I haven't done any FATE gaming(or any at all in a few years) but this seemed like fun.  I probably will be way off on the skills and stunts, feel free to critique.

Name: TJ
High Concept: Foot in both worlds - as a Redneck/Geek, my time, hobbies, and efforts are split between both sides:  fishing, drinking, 4 wheeling, basketball, gaming, video games, reading, coding
Trouble: I bet the wall breaks first - I usually consider things through, but once my mind is made up I have a frightening tendency to keep to the path regardless of consequences
Other Aspects:
Behind the throne - I prefer to stay out of the limelight
What the hell was I thinking? - When it comes to women, I've made every wrong choice in the books, leaving me mostly cynical despite having a couple of good female friends
Do you feel lucky punk? - Excessive poker playing has let me become a very good reader of people, so I'm hard to lie to and have no problem calling people out on it
Knight in tarnished armor - A nearly non-existent self-preservation instinct, combined with strong moral beliefs and an overwhelming sense of loyalty has led me to trouble and getting my butt kicked more then once

Skills:
Good - Athlete(basketball, tennis,football),  Technology
Fair - Outdoorsman(camping, fishing, etc), Iron Jaw, Firearms

Stunts -
Trick Shot - As in basketball, billiards, and beer pong
Sleight of Hand - e.g. Card/Coin magic tricks
Hack This - I can throw together some ugly code extremely quickly when I need to get a program working in a hurry