Author Topic: Spell Compendium  (Read 7648 times)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Spell Compendium
« on: June 22, 2010, 04:36:15 AM »
One of the best things about the rpg is the flexibility of the magic system. Of course everyone can benefit from examples and with a free form system I would like to see other folks' ideas and spell and item creation.

With that in mind, I thought I would like to see a thread where we put together spells, potions and items from the books and of our own design. If someone has done a spell but you have a different take, by all means please post yours as well.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Spell Compendium
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 04:41:48 AM »
Thought I'd start this off with a 'classic' :D   

Expelliarmus!
4-6 shifts of power to do a disarm maneuver on an opponent.

Lawful Chaotic

Offline evilnerf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 04:53:25 AM »
I based this one off of the Robot-Suit in District 9, it's a two-part Spell:

Magnetic Block
Type:  Earth Evocation, defensive block
Power:   6 Shifts of power:  Block 4 (+1 for allies, +1 for Duration)
Control:  Roll Dis + Focus/Spec
Duration:  2 Exchanges
Effect:  A small bright ball appears in front of the wielder’s hand as he supercharges the air with magneticism attracting bullets and other metal objects into it’s sphere.

Steel Rain
Type: Earth Evocation, Offensive Attack
Power:   6 shifts of power (one mental stress (or zero if Redirect from Magnetic Block) Weapon 6 (Can be split between multiple targets).  
Control:  Roll Disc + Focus and Spec
Target:  Up to 6 Targets
Duration: One action
Opposed by:  Targets Athletics
Effect:  The metal objects gathered int the magnetic sphere launch out with pinpoint accuracy towards the intended targets.
Variations:  Can spend 2 shifts to attack every target in zone

Obviously the two are meant to be used together, but you can use either of them by themselves as capable spells.  The stats assume you're playing a character with Superb Conviction and an Earth Power Specialization, but they can be adapted.

Another Combo Spell I've got: 
Gravity Tug
Type:  Earth Evocation, Offensive Maneuver
Power:  5 power:  Block 3 (+3 for duration)
Control:  Roll Disc+Spec and focus
Duration: 3 Exchange
Opposed by:  Might
Effect:  Targets limbs feel incredibly heavy as Gravity starts to have a greater effect on them, giving them the "HEAVY GRAVITY" aspect.

Gravity-Cuff
Type:  Earth Evocation, Offensive Block-Grapple
Power:  5 power:  Grapple 4 (+2 for duration)
Control:  Roll Disc for Focus and Spec vs
Duration:  3 Exchanges
Opposed by:  Might
Effect:  The Targets limbs are brought forcibly to the ground by the very power of the Earth.

Why yes, I am playing an Earth-Spec wizard.  Why do you ask?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 05:06:11 AM by evilnerf »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 04:54:28 AM »
I've been playing some D&D recently:

Magic Misslie

Weapon: 1-5 Spirit Evocation, each point of Weapon is a missile. Opposed with Endurance instead of Athletics. (1 to 5 shifts of Power)

Fireball

Weapon: 5+ Fire Evocation that targets an entire zone. (7+ shifts of power)

Hold Person:

4 shift Spirit or Air Block opposed by Discipline, lasts 2 to 5 rounds (5 to 8 shifts of Power)

Burning Hands

Weapon 1-4 Fire Evocation, effecting an entire Zone. (3 to 6 shifts of Power)

Magic Weapon

4 shift Maneuver to put the sticky Aspect "Magical" onto a weapon (4 shifts of power)

Flaming Sphere

Weapon: 3 attack that continues to attack (with the original roll) every round for three to six rounds. (5 to 8 shifts of Power).

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 05:24:09 AM »
(I like your format Evilnerf, consider it ganked.)

Name or Chant: Tempre con Forza (I think the Italian on this is wrong.)
Type:  Earth Evocation, Offensive Maneuver
Power:   6 Shifts of power:  Disarm Maneuver 3
Control:  Roll Dis + Focus/Spec
Duration:  2 Exchanges
Area: 1 zone
Resisted by: Might
Effect:  The caster commands a large metal object, or the floor if necessary to pull the metal objects in the zone to it. 

Name or Chant: Zastav Utok
Type:  Unseelie Magic, Defensive Block
Power:   7 Shifts of power:  Defensive Block: 6
Control:  Roll Dis + Focus/Spec
Duration:  2 Exchanges
Effect: This rote is a basic shielding spell but designed around using Unseelie Magic, that instead of repelling attacks with raw force as Harry does, it creates a field of dampening energy that causes the attacks to slow and stop when they enter the field.  This spell usually lasts for 2 exchanges.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:28:21 PM »
Nice idea :) I'm happy to contribute, how's this?

Name: 'What did I eat?'
Type:  Water (biomancy) evocation, offensive manoeuvre
Power:   4 Shifts of power, 3 for the aspect, 1 to make it sticky.
Duration:  Once scene as the aspect is sticky. One free tag.
Opposed by: Targets Discipline (if the targets Discipline is above +3 (Good) then adjust the power of the spell accordingly).
Effect: The target's stomach suddenly feels particularly treacherous and the target now desperately needs the loo.
Variations: +2 shifts to make it zone wide?

It's quite possible that only a PC with some sort of medical knowledge may be able to cast this spell or, at least, a reason why they'd understand the human body enough in the required way. This is a particularly subtle spell and might well be useful in a social conflict too.
------------------------

Evilnerf: Shouldn't magnetic block require +2 for allies instead of just +1?

Also, to reuse your magnetic block to cast steel rain, you need to show that the spell hasn't been used. I'd say that even if it was used in the first exchange, it'd be fine to reuse in the second as long as it hasn't blocked anything however you should lose 1 shift of power for the duration that's been spent. I can't see any examples that show if this is possible though. Anyone?

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 01:30:51 PM »
Can you specify the intended effect a bit more CMEast? Don't get me wrong, I like the basic idea behind the spell a lot. But you have to be very clear on how this effect comes to pass. If you change something in the target, even the slightest thing, you come dangerously close to lawbreaker land with "What did I eat?". Biomancy is treacherous that way.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 02:01:20 PM »
Well it's not a transfiguration effect, nor is it a mental trick. I was thinking just a small amount of additional water to the bowels. Of course an extremely nasty and painfully lethal version of this spell could be created and it fit under standard attack rules (with anything more extreme fitting in heartburster territory) but as a small manoeuvre I think it should be ok.

You could argue something similar could be done with the fire element, heating up particular membranes to cause discomfort (though for the exact same effect, that'd take more time), it's hard to concentrate with heat rashes or blisters on... sensitive spots :)

I guess a blister or something could be called a transfiguration of sorts... but then in that case so is a fireball to the face :).

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 02:15:08 PM »
Ah ok. I still think that this spell is something the wardens would be uneasy about. At the very least it comes dangerously close to the second law. "Thou shell not transform an other." - I don't want to discourage you in any way. Just pointing out that there might be GMs out there who would see this as an opportunity to have some warden play in the game. Wardens are always so very good for drama :D.  
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:33:31 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 02:28:55 PM »
Hah, I can just imagine the warden wagging his finger- "Stop giving people diarrhea!"

And the evil looks my PC would get whenever the warden isn't feeling too well :)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »
I thought I might toss one in from the books.

Name: Water Freeze
Type: Fire Evocation (in the book it was fire but water and air work just as well), Maneuver
Power: 6 shifts - 3 for maneuver, 2 to effect a zone, 1 for persistence
Control: roll discipline + focus + specialty
Duration: 2 exchanges
Area: 1 zone
Effect: Caster is able to freeze water in the zone for two exchanges. Places a suitable aspect such as "Frozen Lake" on the zone.

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »
Name: Gale
Type: Air Manoeuvre
Power: 4 shifts
Area: Personal
Resisted by: N/A
Effect: You create a gust of wind that propels you a short distance. Treat it as a 4-shift sprint action for movement. Can help a lot with boarders.

Name: SCUB-A (Self-Contained Underwater Bubble - Arcane)
Type: Air Manoeuvre
Power: 5+ shifts
Duration: 3+ exchanges
Effect: This spell creates a bubble of air that surrounds your head, giving you the aspect can breathe underwater. Of course, you'll need some other spell or flippers to be able to swim, but at least you won't drown. For an extra 2 shifts, you can have this spell affect all those in your zone (hopefully saving your friends from drowning when your boat sinks or something).

Name: Dust Devil
Type: Air Block
Power: 6+ shifts
Duration: 2+ exchanges
Effect: You create a small tornado that encircles you, blowing up dust and making it hard to see you. It acts as a 4-shift block.

No, I'm not playing an air mage or anything--although I'd be interested in doing so now  ^_^--but I thought it'd be cool to have the spells share a common theme.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline Redwulf25_ci

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 08:59:26 PM »
(I like your format Evilnerf, consider it ganked.)

Name or Chant: Tempre con Forza (I think the Italian on this is wrong.)

In universe it's SUPPOSED to be wrong so you don't accidentally cast during normal conversation.

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 03:47:47 AM »
In universe it's SUPPOSED to be wrong so you don't accidentally cast during normal conversation.
It can be good Italian as long as you don't actually speak the language.

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 07:40:52 PM »
Here are a few more. These come from the Lord of the Rings and D&D. More to come later.

Name: Faerie Fire
Type: Spirit or Fire Evocation, Maneuver
Power: 5 shifts - 3 for maneuver, 2 for extended duration.
Duration: 3 exchanges
Area: One target
Resisted by: Athletics
Effect: The target gets engulfed in faerie fire making them very conspicuous and easier to hit. Target has the aspect "Outlined in faerie fire" placed on them.

Name: Rain Ward
Type: Water Evocation, Maneuver
Power: 3 shifts
Duration: One scene
Effect: even in the strongest of storms, raindrops avoid the spellcaster. The aspect "Rain repellant" is placed on the target.

Name: Cloudkill
Type: Air Evocation, Attack
Power: 8 shifts - 5 weapon, 2 for zone
Area: One zone
Effect: Produces poisonous cloud (Weapon 5 attack) on an entire zone which will then dissipate.

Name: Stoneskin
Type: Earth Evocation, Block
Power: 7 shifts - 6 for block, 1 for duration
Duration: 2 exchanges
Effect: Targets body takes on the hardness of stone for the purpose of absorbing damage. Target has Armor of 3 for 2 exchanges.

Name: Zone of Truth
Type: Spirit Evocation, Block
Power: 5 shifts - 3 for block, 2 to effect the entire zone
Duration: 1 exchange
Effect: spell creates a block against Deceit that encompasses the entire zone.

Name: Springtime
Type: Air Evocation, Maneuver
Power: 7 shifts - 3 maneuver, 2 for zone, 2 for duration
Duration: 3 exchanges
Effect: Spell causes temperature to warm, ice to melt, the sun to shine brightly and flowers to bloom. Places the aspect "Spring has Sprung" on the zone for 3 exchanges.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 10:12:54 PM by Tush Hog »