Author Topic: Conversions for Old World of Darkness Character Types  (Read 11362 times)

Offline Odd Man Out

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Conversions for Old World of Darkness Character Types
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2010, 01:16:50 AM »
I know, you'd certainly lose the CCG feel of it. It's just the WW property I find most interesting. DFRPG's biggest contribution to any FATExalted conversion would probably be the idea behind spending refresh for powers.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2010, 02:02:45 AM »
Exalted, while awesome, isn't readily translatable into the DFRPG system...the Charms are too skill focused* for the Powers system to encompass them well. I'd almost be inclined to modify Spirit of the Century (with it's broader Stunts and flat power level) before I did the DFRPG.

*Or attribute focused in the case of Lunars (not that there's a difference in FATE).

Off the top of my head...

Exalted in Fate:
Modular powers [-2]
Excellence[-??]
Spend half your refresh on modular powers and Excellence. Each level of excellence is part of the modular power power pool. They can be changed to any mortal stunt as a supplemental action. Stunts can stack. You may have no current excellence stunts at any given time then the level of the ability the stunt is derived from.
You may also take normal stunts, they don't stack with each other, but do stack with Excellence stunts.

Your anima triggers if you spend more then 1 Fate point in an action.
Additionally:

Dragon blooded get Channeling

Lunars get shapeshifting, and can use their modular powers for animal traits, and can take speed, strength, toughness, recovery with modular power in human form. May take sponsored magic (Luna)

Sidereals get full thamatergy and sponsored magic (selected maiden)

Solars get sponsored magic (Unconquered sun)and can take speed, strength, toughness, recovery with modular power in human form.

Dragon blood minimum refresh 10, other exalted at 14+

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2010, 07:15:30 PM »
Yeah, that's about what it'd be...

But that doesn't actually reflect Exalted very well. I mean, it's not gonna get much better than that, conversion-wise, but it's still woefully inadequate. The DFRPG is really just not the right system for Exalted. Another FATE variant might do brilliantly, but this isn't it.

Offline bestial warlust

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2010, 02:20:10 AM »
Good stuff but in mage how to convert dot/ level power to dresden? pratices at least in awakening determine how strong of a spell you can cast. How would you balance this in converting to dresden?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2010, 02:32:01 AM »
Good stuff but in mage how to convert dot/ level power to dresden? pratices at least in awakening determine how strong of a spell you can cast. How would you balance this in converting to dresden?

I wouldn't bother to try. The DFRPG rules are a bit more freeform, you can do anything within the domain of the Spheres you possess, though a lot of it would be Thaumaturgy, not Evocation. Converting every little thing would defeat the purpose of doing a conversion at all and mess up a lovely little magic system already in place.

Offline Rubio

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2010, 08:14:27 PM »
Awesome stuff here!

I don't suppose there's any sort of compilation, is there?

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2010, 08:39:59 PM »
I'm working on compiling these templates into web-pages as well as a pdf, but with classes starting in a few days and this dang ear infection I'm fighting things have been going kinda slow.
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2010, 01:38:36 AM »
These are kind of interesting. I don't think I would use them directly but I've seen enough of these systems that the conversions give me some ideas. Although I'm amused by how strong the Toughness powers are compared to the White Wolf variants. The group I used to play Vampire with insisted on running games very heavy in combat (yeah I know, not the right system for that and it doesn't even fit into the setting but it was something to play). So I got to watch a lot of very high Fortitude characters get taken out by a single lucky shot or a single round of "I have a high Celerity rating; go get a drink and I'll tell you how you died when you get back" NPCs. Which reminds me, I'm glad you went with Speed for Celerity. That's actually the style in the newer WoD system but the way it was written up in the old game was so ridiculously broken... In any physical encounter it ended up being a character multiplier. If you had a way to successfully attack an enemy and high Celerity, anything else on your sheet or theirs became nearly superfluous.