Author Topic: Using DFRPG for True Blood  (Read 6153 times)

Offline Abhoth

• Participant
    • View Profile
Using DFRPG for True Blood
« on: June 21, 2010, 01:54:12 PM »
In addition to been a total harry nut, I am also a massive True Blood Fan, I was wondering do you peoples think this system would do the vampires (and other things) from True Blood (The TV series)?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Using DFRPG for True Blood
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:59:22 PM »
Sure. Sam's a bit tricky, but everything else is pretty easy, really.

Some things are going to be outside PC power level, of course.

Offline Abhoth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:32:18 PM »
Yeah the I can shift into anything power is a little tricky, your right some things will be above the PC's power lvl, However vampires are Clearly PC material in this setting (given they do have free will) and given that even a newbie vampire like jessica has supernatural speed, strenght and everything Vampires are going to be awfully tough, but they have a massive catch, they are incredibly vulnerble to silver, even a flimsy silver chain can restrain one and a human can take one unawares.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 05:13:43 PM »
A TB style shifter is quite doable at higher refresh levels.  Take True Shapeshifting [-4], Modular Abilities [-2] and a 3 point pool of form points would allow you to mimic most normal animals.  Also, since Sam can’t duplicate other human forms or inanimate objects it seems like his version of shapeshifting would probably be -3 instead of -4, so you might be able to allocate an extra point to your form pool. 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:22:24 AM »
Actually I'd build Sam basically this way, depending on the Refresh available:

Echoes of the Beast [-1]-He can track by scent in human form.

Beast Change [-1]-Bear in mind that he can't fly well, because he lacks the skill set. This implies to me that he has one skill pyramid for all his animal forms, and since he can't assume the for of anything not an animal...

Human Form [+2]-He can't change without an animal (or at least it's image) to focus on, that's somewhat limited. May be bought down to +1 later.

Modular Abilities [-7 or -8]-He can turn into a Bull, which is at least Inhuman Strength, Claws, and Hulking Size, so -5 Refresh worth of powers.

That's -7 to -9 Refresh total, and very doable as a PC.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:20:03 AM »
I might steal your Sam template in the future, Deadman. I like it  ;D

And most of the vamps are probably very statable, I'm not usually one to stat templates that I'm not using personally so I might take a crack at it later.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 02:28:39 AM »
I might steal your Sam template in the future, Deadman. I like it  ;D

And most of the vamps are probably very statable, I'm not usually one to stat templates that I'm not using personally so I might take a crack at it later.

Surely the basic True Blood vamp is just a Red Court Vampire with Flesh Mask and Cloak of Shadows replaced by Domination, right? I might also be inclined to ditch Claws: a vampire's fangs aren't that nasty, and the effective Weapon:2 from Inhuman Strength is probably enough to cover it. Things like the psychic link to vampires you've made/vulnerability to commands from your Maker I'd just call invokes/compels of your Vampire high concept.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 02:33:09 AM »
The basics are as follows:

Blood Drinker [-1]

Human Form [+2], completely helpless during the day, lose powers as long as they are touched by silver, applying to everything except
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
The Catch is Sunlight, Silver, and Stakes Through the Heart [+4]
Feeding Dependency (Blood) [+1] effecting;
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Supernatural Recovery [-4]

Their mind control abilities are a bit harder, but I'd stat then as Incite Emotion (Obedience) with Lasting Emotion and an eye contact instead of touch. That's -2.

This actually works out to only -6, so individuals could really jack up their Inhuman Speed and Strength pretty readily. Or buy things like shapeshifting and 'Wings' to represent flight.

Their connection to their Maker, while cool, is I think best handled as Compels and Invokes, rather than it's own power.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:37:10 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 02:38:15 AM »
Season 2 opener, tell me vampire's fangs can't do damage... though Eric was also probably ripping him apart with his strength as well.

Would you stat their blood as some sort of healing potion?
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 02:41:52 AM »
The basics are as follows:

Blood Drinker [-1]

Human Form [+2], completely helpless during the day
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
The Catch is Sunlight, Silver, and Stakes Through the Heart [+4]
Feeding Dependency [+1] effecting;
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Supernatural Recovery [-4]

Their mind control abilities are a bit harder, but I'd stat then as Incite Emotion (Obedience) with Lasting Emotion and an eye contact instead of touch. That's -2.

This actually works out to only -6, so individuals could really jack up their Inhuman Speed and Strength pretty redily. Or buy things like shapeshifting and 'Wings' to represent flight.

Good idea on Human Form, I had forgotten the "powerless during the day" bit of the schtick. I'm not sure about Incite Emotion for the psychic whammy though; it's always looked more like a mental attack to me, so I'd probably stick with Dominate to model it--I forget, have they ever mentioned that people who have been mind-whammied are more susceptible to it later? That would track well with mental consequences.

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 02:46:06 AM »
Season 2 opener, tell me vampire's fangs can't do damage... though Eric was also probably ripping him apart with his strength as well.

I contend that tiny little vampire fangs aren't big enough to add a Weapon rating all by themselves--they're barely the size of a small pocket knife, if that. That damage came from Eric's Supernatural, if not Mythic, Strength IMO.

Now, if Jessica had done something like that....

Would you stat their blood as some sort of healing potion?

I'd use the temporary acquisition of powers rule (per the sidebar on YS90) to give anyone who drinks vampire blood Inhuman Recovery. Any Fate Point debt they accrue from that would be compels on the "High on V" Aspect Addictive Saliva gives out.

Offline GoldenH

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 02:47:19 AM »
I'm actually willing to say that True Blood vamps are weaker than Dresden Files vamps. Obviously there's quite a bit of power difference between Jessica, Bill, Eric and Godric, but when all's said and done their powers are more plot device than straight up strength. I would let them spend Fate Points to do invoke some impressive feats on their Aspects but they are merely inhuman (It counts as Ritual Magic: I Am Vampire at most), with elder vamps having higher skill caps.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:50:57 AM by GoldenH »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 02:47:53 AM »
Incite Emotion IS a mental attack, which is why I used it. Domination is actually not used to do anything but break people into renfields...which is why it seemed inappropriate. Read the two powers again.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 02:50:08 AM »
I contend that tiny little vampire fangs aren't big enough to add a Weapon rating all by themselves--they're barely the size of a small pocket knife, if that. That damage came from Eric's Supernatural, if not Mythic, Strength IMO.

Now, if Jessica had done something like that....

Yup, and you need to grapple to use them.

I'd use the temporary acquisition of powers rule (per the sidebar on YS90) to give anyone who drinks vampire blood Inhuman Recovery. Any Fate Point debt they accrue from that would be compels on the "High on V" Aspect Addictive Saliva gives out.

That sounds right, though no need for the Addictive Saliva thing, just make it a Compel. In fact, I'd make them pay the entire FP cost of powers gained from V in compels of one sort or another. Think Sponsor Debt.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 05:19:45 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline GoldenH

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 02:52:08 AM »
That said, there are long term effects from drinking vampire blood, so drinking it probably requires changing an aspect to represent that. (Alternatively, represent drinking it as taking an Extreme Consequence)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:54:01 AM by GoldenH »