Author Topic: Policy Changes: How do you feel?  (Read 37895 times)

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
Re: Policy Changes: How do you feel?
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2010, 07:58:21 PM »
Fred and I aren't clear on what sort of algorithm is used to count posts, but so far, I haven't seen any change.  The post counts seem to have been unaffected by the initial massive purge, so I'm guessing it'll hold true for subsequent ones.  No guarantees, of course.

I must say, I've seen a bit of change. I was up just over 20,000 posts before the purge. It set me back almost 500 posts.

If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2010, 08:14:07 PM »
That's odd.  I wonder if it counted some boards and not others?

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2010, 08:18:58 PM »
Or perhaps some boards got outright deleted (like word association used to) and some got compressed and archived?

I mean, to be honest, if everything that seemed to have gotten deleted really got deleted, I shouldn't have even over 10,000 posts left, because I've never been a big poster on the books discussion side. 2/3rds of my stuff has always been in Mac's in some way shape or form.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2010, 08:21:36 PM »
Or perhaps some boards got outright deleted (like word association used to) and some got compressed and archived?

I mean, to be honest, if everything that seemed to have gotten deleted really got deleted, I shouldn't have even over 10,000 posts left, because I've never been a big poster on the books discussion side. 2/3rds of my stuff has always been in Mac's in some way shape or form.

ditto
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Der Sturmbrecher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2010, 09:14:41 PM »
The new board organization looks good, and I like it. Mainly, I'm just peeved that it had to happen. I wasn't even aware of much badness going on until it was flattened by the B-17 81st Airbourne "Mods."

Overall, I've always thought the quality of modding and admin on this board was very good, and I still think so. So far, only a couple of decisions made rankle me.

The Angst corner. Used properly, it made the community healthier, and I know it was definitely a good way for some members of the board to get much needed support and care. I hope that not too far down the road the members of this forum will be deemed responsible enough for that to be brought back.

Touchy Topics. I wasn't a member back when it was around, but it sounds like it would have been both fun and informative. Political correctness doesn't suit me, and I confess to be being annoyed that the new changes seem to support it. Also, it doesn't seem very Dresdenish (Dresdenic?). Voltaire got it right: "I do not agree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."

However, being a lay member, I acknowledge that I don't know everything which was going on. I feel the mods do an excellent job (kudos to you all!), and if select of the forum were abusing their rights, then the decisions, while regrettable, make sense to me. Hopefully we can get the cookie jar back again soon.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2010, 11:01:58 PM »
Not a "Political Correctness" issue so much as a "Jim don't want to hear you guys arguing about this when you're sitting on his couch drinking his beer."  The new policy applies to both Left and Right, and everything in the middle.  As for the Be Nice Or Go policy, that's not about sensitivey cuddlesomeness, it's just abiding by our host's standards of behaviour.  Manners, basically.

You weren't here for the Epic Pissing Matches that spawned in TT.  We've got people on the Left, Right, Middle, as well as some people who are Extreme Left on a couple issues, but also Extreme Right on others.  Even I, paragon of genteel and respectful conversation, from time to time, once in a great while, would upon rare occassion. say things that might be considered sarcastic, unpleasant, even snarky.  We had some good discussions, good points, thought provocationey things.  And for every one of those conversations, there'd by 6 where things just kept going south of nasty.  Then the "debates" would spill over into unrelated threads about the books, kitty cats or cheese.  This happened more and more. 

Back to the biggest thing though, is that and Jim just wasn't comfortable with his house becoming politically factionized.  What often happens in politically mixed interweb communities is that one faction or the other achieves an impression of dominance by shouting loudest, and then drives all the others away.  Jim don't much like the thought of Fans from Group A (Whoever they are) chasing off his fans from Group B (Whoever they are).  So he likes it better when we leave political and social issues outside.  That, and it just made a big, whomping pile of A + Ass Ache for the Admin and his lonesome few mods.

We still have the Advice Corner, where people can to get help and support, (as opposed to just bitch).

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2010, 11:05:15 PM »
That is, if Jim drank beer. :D  Perhaps a Coke?

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2010, 11:12:35 PM »
More homebrew for me.

:P

Offline horsehearted

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • I have a tumblr
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2010, 11:26:42 PM »
Rootbeer? Doesn't everyone love rootbeer?
Seriously - with proper battering & frying, tractor parts are delicious!
I'M A PRETTY, PRETTY PRINCESS!

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2010, 11:34:15 PM »
Whatever works for ya, luv.   ;D

Offline Der Sturmbrecher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2010, 11:48:42 PM »
Not a "Political Correctness" issue so much as a "Jim don't want to hear you guys arguing about this when you're sitting on his couch drinking his beer."  The new policy applies to both Left and Right, and everything in the middle.  As for the Be Nice Or Go policy, that's not about sensitivey cuddlesomeness, it's just abiding by our host's standards of behaviour.  Manners, basically.

Darn it, I missed the beer too!

You weren't here for the Epic Pissing Matches that spawned in TT.  We've got people on the Left, Right, Middle, as well as some people who are Extreme Left on a couple issues, but also Extreme Right on others.  Even I, paragon of genteel and respectful conversation, from time to time, once in a great while, would upon rare occassion. say things that might be considered sarcastic, unpleasant, even snarky.  We had some good discussions, good points, thought provocationey things.  And for every one of those conversations, there'd by 6 where things just kept going south of nasty.  Then the "debates" would spill over into unrelated threads about the books, kitty cats or cheese.  This happened more and more. 

That's what I heard, and I understand why it happened. I just regret that it had to.

We still have the Advice Corner, where people can to get help and support, (as opposed to just bitch).
I’m very glad that was left in there, but sometimes you really do need to let it out and have someone get you through it. I guess I’m just too idealistic about humans’ capability of interacting peacefully. Wow. When did I become an optimist?

Thanks for the response.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2010, 03:01:22 AM »
WARNING, CHANGES SPOILERS

I understand the political angle, but what about ethical issues? I don't think there are "factions" only people with opinions, like "I don't like Changes' ending" or "I think
(click to show/hide)
"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:17:33 AM by Priscellie »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2010, 04:10:14 AM »
I understand the political angle, but what about ethical issues? I don't think there are "factions" only people with opinions, like "I don't like Changes' ending" or "I think
(click to show/hide)
"

I thought those were still around, although people did get strongly opinionated about Susan.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:17:44 AM by Priscellie »
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2010, 04:17:15 AM »
WARNING, CHANGES SPOILERS

We try to keep Dresdenverse discussions strongly grounded in the Dresdenverse and leave real-world ethics at arm's reach.  It's the difference between "I think
(click to show/hide)
" and "I think
(click to show/hide)
."

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2010, 06:00:26 AM »
But Priscellie,

People here like to explain their views and hear explanations of other people's views. Take the
(click to show/hide)
thread, would it really be interesting to have 60+ pages of people saying " I think X did it" without giving any reasons?

Would it even be possible to discuss Dresdenverse ethics without indicating one's real-world beliefs?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:04:03 AM by Curly »
;) unless explicitly stated otherwise

Quote from: Neurovore
Why are you assuming it has to be heartbreaking ?