Author Topic: Policy Changes: How do you feel?  (Read 37985 times)

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Policy Changes: How do you feel?
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2010, 09:00:36 PM »

I agree! The only thing that's really bothered me lately is that mom seems to be REALLY stressed out and the least little "HE BREATHED ON ME!" heard from the back seat gets us all pulled over to the side of the road for whippin's!

I imagine it will all smooth out eventually.

True!  Now if we can only get Shecky to quit BREATHING ON EVERYONE, we will be golden!   ;D :P
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2010, 09:17:58 PM »
*snickergiggles*
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
It's the licking that creeps me out.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2010, 10:05:29 PM »
Relax, he only does that to people he likes.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2010, 10:25:49 PM »
It's to mark non-targets for the bees. You'll thank me later when my apian minions begin their conquest.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

meh

« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2010, 10:40:37 PM »

"Policy Changes: How do you feel?"

*Is totally tempted to say "Bit of reflux at the moment and need a run to the bathroom, thanks"*

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2010, 10:34:51 PM »
Personally? And yeah, I sat and thought about this before posting. I think for public modding when folks act up the Ashton Boot stomp works best. I've never been a fan of watching a conversation about what is and isn't acceptable go back and forth between a mod and a soon to be banned poster when an Ashton Boot Stomp (ABS&trade) can prevent it by ending it at the beginning, rather after the fuel has been arrived, deployed, and steadily pumped into said flare up.

I think Public lectures and Public lashings and Public debate tend to create a divisive atmosphere amongst people who might not exactly share the viewpoint presented by the mod, and can erode said credibility.. If you are asking for input, I'd say, examine the behavior, run it by the Longtimers, Decide if it's a boot, to the head, or a PM - and go from there.

Also, And I do have a specific thread in mind, I spoke privately to Mickey about it, when there is modding going on where things get changed, interjecting a quippy comment while modding may also fan the fire. Especially if it's political in nature, and a quippy comment could be extended into a direct but opposite response to the comment that had just been modded.

I'm trying. I also attempt to help. I would of said nothing publically if this thread had not asked.

my 2 cents

//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2010, 04:07:28 AM »
Well, my 2 cents.
First: I like the thread changes and the new organization.
Second: I don't know many of the things you are talking about because I wander mostly on the spoilers section.
Third: Even bbefore the changes, I always considered this forum a little...more sensitive than other forums I use to visit. But I decided that probably that was my fault. I think people from USA are more concerned with political correction  that we are (I am from South America). I remember being angry with a poster, told them I hate him and being almost instantly scolded by two moderators. I never though that anybody could think that I really hated a person for a spoiler. I asume that anybody will understand that was a matter of speaking and nothing else. Well, I tried to learn from that. So the next time I have a problem with the word "hate" I send a PM to Iago (who had used this word) and he answered me very clearly and very politely. I am still tryng to think about my posts and the way they are read. I even send a PM to Prisc because I was afraid to said something in public. It was about a spoiler tag, and she was wonderful (true godess, she is :-))
BUT, I still found some topics locked without a reason I can understand. My personal opinion for a public forum is that discussion is good and shouldn't be cut by rhe roots, but people should be allowed to excersise and practise discussion and argumentation. But this is, as you said, Fred's. So if he and his mods think that is a too-risky policy, well, I understand and I'll do my best to play by the book. I still go with the others who ask that mods be polite themselves. Teaching by example, if possible, is the best way to teach (yeah, I know. Mods are human too. Nobody's perfect)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2010, 05:54:41 AM »
Actually the big thing is that Jim himself wants this to be a pleasant venue.  Relaxed and friendly, where misfits can feel comfortable and mellow and nobody has to fumble for their blood pressure pills.  The Be Nice Rule starts not with Iago, but with The Man Himself.  

A topic can be locked a few ways.  Some forums, like the Bar, have an automatic 7 day expiration at which point the thread locks.  There were epic long threads gumming up the machinery, and when a personality conflict arose therin, it would often fester out into the rest of the forum.  So if a thread gets so angry and ornery that it's pretty much become so bitter and toxic that it's not worth cleaning up and returning to the original topic, it'll be put down.

Moderators will lock a topic for violations of the prohibition on Touchy Topics like relgion, politics and the like.  

Open up a thread about your favorite economic system, or your least favorite president, and boom!  that thread's done.  (Add stuff like that to someone else's thread, and you'll find your post getting editational snipping or deletion.)  Couple of reasons for that.  The fighting and ill will invariably spreads from the politics thread over to thingsup totally unrelated like a thread about Toot Toot and kittens.  And the forum members utterly uninterested in politics find themselves getting spattered by the pissing contest.  "I don't care about Republocratarianists!  I just wanted to read about Mouse and say how neat I think what Harry did in Book XYZ!"  

Another reason, and this is pure assumption on my part, is that Jim & Iago aren't interested in having their community become politicized in general, nor become associated with any political faction.  Remember, this is my personal impression, not Word of Jim nor Writ of Iago.  

Take the Baen Book's site, it is pretty much a Conservative Stronghold, for example.  Got some liberal authors in the Baen stable, but the forums are Hard Right.  So liberal fans understandably feel unwelcome there.  As are moderates if they open their mouths on teh non-conservative side of things.  I've also been to other book or media forums where the roles were reversed, political correctess ruled, and those with even moderate, center/right views on any topic were unwelcome.  In those cases, people who wish to join that community are rejected because they do not hold the "proper" belief systems.  (For example, on teh Baen forum I had a person literally follow me to every area I visited to find something to criticize, even to the "movies we can't do without" thread.  Boy had to much time on his hands, took his hatin' too serious.  All because on a thread in the political section, I invoked my 10 years in a Combat Plans experience to offer criticism of a warplan used by a politician he liked.  That is a darn good reason to reject political topics for a foum like this one.  

Preventing befaviour like that is why some topics are cut out by the roots.

Jim's got fans of all factions, and every gradient in between.  So I have the impression that he wouldn't like to see one faction make the others feel unwelcome.  Doesn't want one batch of his fans chasing away the others.  He wants all his fans to be able to meet and enjoy and make friends without political affiliation becoming an issue, in an environment that's pleasant and relaxed.  He wants his friends to get along.

Accorded Neutral Territory, just like this bar Jim writes about.  
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 12:46:46 PM by paynesgrey »

Offline horsehearted

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • I have a tumblr
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2010, 06:18:11 AM »
I like how polite everyone is being. There's still that feeling of comfort, but its like everyone has put on their Sunday best and are remembering to say "Please" and "Thank You". It makes me happy! And I think the mods are doing a great job! I haven't seen any issues/spats/disagreements since I've been back.
Seriously - with proper battering & frying, tractor parts are delicious!
I'M A PRETTY, PRETTY PRINCESS!

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2010, 12:16:56 PM »
Actually the big thing is that Jim himself wants this to be a pleasant venue.  Relaxed and friendly, where misfits can feel comfortable and mellow and nobody has to fumble for their blood pressure pills.  The Be Nice Rule starts not with Iago, but with The Man Himself. 

Accorded Neutral Territory, just like this bar Jim writes about. 

This is exactly what I like about the forum and how I hope it can continue to be!
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2010, 12:22:05 PM »
Yup.  Since the changes have been implemented, the overwhelming majority of locked threads have been time-related, as PG mentions.  We want to keep the board lightweight to run and minimize downtime.

Generally, we won't lock a thread because one poster made a political joke.  It's only when we feel a thread has been so derailed into TT territory or bitter sniping that there's no going back, and it would just be simpler to clear the air by locking the existing thread and asking folks to create a new one.  When this happens, a mod will pretty much always post and explain the situation.  

If a thread is locked without explanation, it's almost certainly a time-related locking.

Offline Noey

• Posty McPostington
  • Life On Planet Pink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2010, 12:34:22 PM »
Some of it might also be explained by the OP locking the thread. I've seen that happen a few times, when for various reasons the OP felt the thread was done with and explained it in a last post. So, when a thread is locked, it might've been the original poster instead of a mod, for whatever reason explained or unexplained that got into the OP's head.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. - C.S. Lewis

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »
Ammended my post to clarify and reflect what Prisc said... If you start a political thread, it'll die.  If you add a political or otherwise TT to a thread, your specific post will get a visit from the Snip Fairey.  Whole threads only get the grinch if they've degenerated into unsalvagable battlegrounds.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:38:13 PM by paynesgrey »

Offline horsehearted

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • I have a tumblr
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
FREEEEEEEEEEEDDDOOOOOOOOOOOMM!
Seriously - with proper battering & frying, tractor parts are delicious!
I'M A PRETTY, PRETTY PRINCESS!