Author Topic: Demon: The Fallen template to Dresdenverse.  (Read 2957 times)

Offline aardvark

• Participant
    • View Profile
Demon: The Fallen template to Dresdenverse.
« on: June 21, 2010, 09:39:49 AM »
Im running a game of DtF and trying to figure out Fallen template for DFRPG.
In WoD we have several innate powers that each Fallen has such as:
Immunity to Mind-Control, Immunity to Possesion, Resistance to Illusion, Resistance to Lethal Damage, Healing Physical Damage, Invocation and Supernatural Awarenes.
In Dresdenverse, i think, it will look like this:

Marked by Power [-1]
Human Guise [-0]
Feeding Dependency [+1] (Faith) - Fallen angels need Faith to survive as a sentinent being. If all Faith is lost, they turns to rampaging,selfish, driven by Torment demons. Thus, if Hunger stress track is full they need to reap some Faith from mortals or drive self right to the Gates of Hell. Fallen can swap their physical stress track with hunger stress track (this represent Healing Physical Damage ability).
 Feeding Dependency affect next abilities:
Inhuman Toughness[-2]
Inhuman Recovery[-2]
The Sight [-1]
Sponsored Magic *

Refresh [-5] on innate powers only, without evocation (magic) and apocalyptic form (more magic :)) is a kinda tough. So i will be gratefull for a little thought out of the box. Anyone?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Demon: The Fallen template to Dresdenverse.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 09:58:35 AM »
Well, Lores are usually quite specific (and thus not too expensive), and Apocalyptic Forms are usually only a few points of powers with the Human Form drawback.

Personally, I'd argue they lack Inhuman Toughness by default, that's more what ones with the Armor Apocalyptic Form power would get. They aren't actually meaningfully hardier than Inhuman Recovery would seem to grant.

I'd also argue that Marked By Power feels wrong...maybe a separate power for immunity to direct mind control. Yeah, we'll go with that. Sounds like Mental Immunity (works just like Physical Immunity for a different stress track), with a +6 Catch (Anything Not Magical Mind Manipulation*, Everyone Knows It), which'll cost -2. That drops them to only -4, base.

Specifically, they then look like this:

The Sight [-1]
Mental Immunity [-8]
The Stacked Catch is Anything Not Magical Mind Manipulation [+6]

Feeding Dependency: Faith [+1] effecting;
Inhuman Recovery [-2]

Then you can tack on appropriate additional powers for your character, and likely play a weak D:tF character even in a Chest Deep game, though any lower is pushing it.

If you want to duplicate the ability to take Torment to get bigger, scarier, Apocalyptic Forms, pick a few powers and let the character acquire them at will via the Temporary Powers rules on YS p. 92, but taking points of 'sponsor debt' in the form of nasty, vicious compels instead of spending Fate Points (and only by taking such debts).

*Of the powers in the book, Emotional Manipulation and Domination count, as does much of Psychomancy. Nothing else I can think of.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:39:17 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline aardvark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
Deadmanwalking, great response! Thanks!

If you want to duplicate the ability to take Torment to get bigger, scarier, Apocalyptic Forms, pick a few powers and let the character acquire them at will via the Temporary Powers rules on YS p. 92, but taking points of 'sponsor debt' in the form of nasty, vicious compels instead of spending Fate Points (and only by taking such debts).
Yeah, that was what im thinking after i read "Temporary Powers" in YS. Nasty and storydriven stuff.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 12:07:15 PM »
A few example powers, as converted:

Lore of the Fundament: Channeling (Physical Forces) covers all of it. Bearing in mind that the listed elements are suggestions.

Lore of Humanity: Translate would be a custom -1 power, hile the rest could be represented by Inspire Emotion or social skills alone.

Lore of the Celestials: Full on Soulfire [-5] would seem to work best. Though that does make it AND the Visage a bit out of PC levels. Possibly some other Sponsored Magic worked out with the GM.
Visage: Wings [-1], Echoes of the Beast [-1] (for the enhanced senses), Human Form [+1]. That covers it. Can gain Claws, Inhuman Strength, and Inhuman Toughness via Torment.

Lore of Flame: Channeling (Fire) or Evocation with Fire specialties. Easy.
Visage: Physical Immunity (Fire) [-2], Inhuman Speed [-2], Human Form [+1]. Can gain Claws and Inhuman Strength with Torment.

Lore of Radiance: Something custom involving granting bonuses to allies. Probably harder to come up with than most things.
Visage: Wings [-1], Flesh Mask (The beauty bonus only, but doesn't go away when damaged) [-1], Echoes of the Beast [-1], Human Form [+1], can gain Claws and Breath Weapon with Torment.

Lore of Awakening: Custom Sponsored Magic [-4], granting, among other things, lots of Biomancy bonuses.
Visage: Wings [-1], Inhuman Speed or Inhuman Strength [-2], Swift And Silent [-1], Human Form [+1], can gain Inhuman Toughness and Breath Weapon with Torment.

Lore of the Firmament: Doesn't work well in DFRPG...though maybe as some sort of Sponsored Magic.
Visage: Echoes of the Beast [-1], Wings [-1], Inhuman Speed [-2], Human Form [+1], can gain Claws and Cloak of Shadows with Torment.

Lore of Winds: Channeling (Air) or Evocation with an Air specialty.
Visage: Wings [-1], Echoes of the Beast [-1], Human Form [+1], can gain Inhuman Speed and Claws with Torment.

Others will follow because I have nothing better to do for the next several hours, and this is relatively easy and fun.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 12:31:19 PM »
Lore of the Earth: Channeling (Earth) or Evocation with an Earth specialty.
Visage: Inhuman Strength [-2], Inhuman Toughness [-2], Echoes of the Beast [-1], Human Form [+1], can gain Claws and Supernatural Strength with Torment.

Lore of Paths:Depending on how direct a translation, either Swift Transition [-2], Ritual (Transportation and Worldwalking), both, or Sponsored Magic (Paths) details to be worked out with your GM.
Visage: Echoes of the Beast [-1], Glamours [-2], Human Form [+1], can gain Diminutive Size or Inhuman Toughness with Torment.

Lore of the Forge: Ritual (Crafting) plus some Refinement for extra Item slots. May also have a power (at -0 or -1) to use Craftsmanship instead of Lore to determine the power of Enchanted Items.
Visage: Inhuman Strength [-2], Physical Immunity: Fire [-2], Human Form [+1] can gain Inhuman Toughness, Mana Static or Claws with Torment.

Lore of Patterns: Something based on Cassandra's Tears, possibly plus Ritual (Divination) or some variety of Sonsored Magic.
Visage: Wings [-1], Inhuman Speed [-2], Human Form [+1], can gain +2 Deceit for lying [-1] or Ritual (Entropomancy) with Torment.

Lore of Portals: Depending on how direct a translation, either Swift Transition [-2], Ritual (Transportation and Worldwalking), both, or Sponsored Magic (Portals) details to be worked out with your GM.
Visage: Wings [-1], Echoes of the Beast [-1], Swift And Silent [-1], Human Form [+1], can gain Cloak of Shadows and Inhuman Speed with Torment.

Lore of Light: Channeling (Light) or Evocation with a Light element and specialty. Or just use Spirit. Yeah, it's really that simple.
Visage: Echoes of the Beast [-1], Glamours [-2], Human Form [+1], can gain Greater Glamours with Torment.

And yet more still to come...

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:40:19 PM »
Deadmanwalking. . .you're awesome.

That is all. Nothing more needs to be said.

Keep up the awesome work!

--Crion
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 01:02:57 PM »
Lore of Longing: Incite Emotion and lots of it. Probably Emotional Vampire, too.
Visage: Flesh Mask (Again, no concealed items, no flaking off) [-1], Echoes of the Beast [-1], Human Form [+1], can gain Claws (Venomous) with Torment.

Lore of Storms: Sponsored Magic (Stormcraft) is pretty much how you do this.
Visage: Claws [-1], Echoes of the Beast [-1], Physical Immunity: Electricity [-2], Human Form [+1], can gain Inhuman Toughness and Inhuman Strength with Torment.

Lore of Transfiguration: Mimic Form [-2], possibly upped to -4 and with the ability to use it on others.
Visage: Inhuman Speed [-2], Echoes of the Beast [-1], can gain Claws (Venomous) with Torment.

Lore of the Beast: Echoes of the Beast at low levels, higher up, Sponsored Magic of it's own variety.
Visage: Inhuman Speed [-2], Inhuman Strength [-2], Claws [-1], Human Form [+1] can gain Inhuman Toughness and Supernatural Strength with Torment.

Lore of the Wild: The Ritual component only of Sponsored Magic (Plants), -2 Refresh total. Possibly upping to full Sponsored Magic (Plants) later.
Visage: Echoes of the Beast [-1], Inhuman Toughness [-2], Swift And Silent [-1], Human Form [+1], can gain Inhuman Speed and Claws (Venomous) with Torment.

Lore of Flesh: The Ritual component only of Sponsored Magic (Flesh), -2 Refresh total. Possibly upping to full Sponsored Magic (Flesh) later.
Visage: Flesh Mask (As under Visage of Longing) [-1], Immune to Poisons [-2], Human Form [+1], can gain Supernatural Toughness and Recovery as well as Claws with Torment.

Lore of Death: Sponsored Magic (Death). Yeah, really. Often only the Channeling portion, at least for the inexperienced.
Visage: Inhuman Speed [-2], Wings [-1], Human Form [+1], can gain Inhuman Toughness and Cloak of Shadows with Torment.

Lore of Spirit: Ritual (Ectomancy), and possibly Channeling (Spirit).
Visage: Ghost Speaker [-1], Flesh Mask (As under Visage of Longing above) [-1], Wings [-1], Swift And Silent [-1], Human Form [+1], can gain Inhuman Toughness, Incite Emotion (Fear), or Cloak of Shadows with Torment.

Lore of the Realms: Swift Transition [-2]. Yep, that's it.
Visage: Echoes of the Beast [-1], Glamours [-2], Swift And Silent [-1], Human Form [+1], can gain Cloak of Shadows or Inhuman Toughness with Torment.

There's the list. These are all rough approximations, and it's perfectly possible to create a character with a Visage but not the Lore, or vice versa, but it's a good basic guideline.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »
Deadmanwalking. . .you're awesome.

That is all. Nothing more needs to be said.

Keep up the awesome work!

--Crion

Thanks, always glad to be of service.  :)

Really, I just always liked Demon: The Fallen, and had an hour or so to kill. No big whoop.

Offline aardvark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 02:01:38 PM »
Thanks, always glad to be of service.  :)

Really, I just always liked Demon: The Fallen, and had an hour or so to kill. No big whoop.
OMG!OMG! You are realy awesome!

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 04:12:35 PM »
OMG!OMG! You are realy awesome!

It's been seconded, so the motion carries ^_~

I'm also a WoD fan, and it's impacted my approaches to Dresden (and my Dresden Fandom has impacted my WoD games in recent years), so seeing demons beyond the Denarians and those beasties from the Nevernever makes life a bit more entertaining. . .and adds more potential havoc.

So again, thank you, you're awesome, and you do awesome work.
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 01:11:15 AM »
Cool. If there's interest, maybe I'll start drawing up something similar for Werewolf: The Apocalypse and other White Wolf games...

That could actually be pretty darn fun. Okay, I'm doing it. Within the next couple of days. I'll probably skip Changeling and Mage since the current rules actually cover those pretty damn well and directly (well, maybe I'll tack on a few notes, but I'm doing them last), and Wraith just doesn't fit in the Dresden Universe, as well as being a stone bitch mechanically, but Vampire, Hunter, and Werewolf are all doable, so I think I will. Yeah, that should be fun.

I'll start a new thread for it, and copy and paste this stuff there right now, I think.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 01:47:13 AM »
Ya'know, a WOD mummy crossover would be interesting. WOD:Horus is certainly at the level of a major freeholder in himself.

Cool. If there's interest, maybe I'll start drawing up something similar for Werewolf: The Apocalypse and other White Wolf games...

That could actually be pretty darn fun. Okay, I'm doing it. Within the next couple of days. I'll probably skip Changeling and Mage since the current rules actually cover those pretty damn well and directly (well, maybe I'll tack on a few notes, but I'm doing them last), and Wraith just doesn't fit in the Dresden Universe, as well as being a stone bitch mechanically, but Vampire, Hunter, and Werewolf are all doable, so I think I will. Yeah, that should be fun.

I'll start a new thread for it, and copy and paste this stuff there right now, I think.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 01:52:51 AM »
Oooh, I forgot Mummy, I'll probably do that, too.

Offline chrislackey

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 03:41:41 PM »
I think that Demon: the Fallen was one of the best games White Wolf came out with since the original Vampire. It was similar to V:tM, but it added so many more levels and it just felt like a more 'grown up' RPG. I thought it was totally underrated. Great game and it's great seeing the Dresden Rules version!

Offline Keryth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 07:34:56 PM »
Well, I just got my DFRPG books, and when I can get myself to read the rules rather than the comments, I am impressed (Sorry, the whole Dresden, Will, Bob thing is just too funny!  ). Reposting this here forma  topic I started in a similar vein that I got recommended to this one. :) Though, I'm gonna expand on my information.

Anyhow, I wish this game had eben released a year ago, as I am now running a d20 Modern game that it owuld have been perfect for. Anyhow, reading through the rules and such has convinved me the next time I use the current game's universe, it will be DFRPG.

First a little background, so you all can see where I am coming from. The original campaign concept was a group of supernatural/alien characters are recruited by a mysterious government agency to investigate a series of murders in a Dresden/Buffy style Universe. Yes, I said Aliens and Supernatural in the same sentence   The beginning group consisted of:
White Council Mage
Immortal (Highlander Type)
Cerean(Lizard from original V miniseries) Psionisist
Founder (shapeshifter from DS9)
White Court Vampire
Harrowed(Deadlands) Hexslinger
Pure Mortal Non-believer
Reprogrammed Terminator

Several characters have changed (death or player wanting to switch characters) and the group has at one time or another also include:

As you can see, I did borrow form many sources. And seeing how my main protagonists of the group is the denarians, Dresden is where I borrowed from the most. The group has had to deal with summoned demons, Shanarran Elves (aka Terry Brooks' elves) and other things.

Anyhow, the entire purpose of this post is what other sources could be imported into a DFRPG withough destroying it's flavor?

Some of the ideas I've had that would be perfect, perhaps with some tweaking would be:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (even if there was a reference or two to the show in the books)
Knights of the Word (Terry Brooks)
Shadows Over New York - A Dresden Files RPG Campaign with some added bonuses from Books, TV, and Movies.  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york)