Author Topic: Writing problems...need some advice  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Stubs

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Writing problems...need some advice
« on: June 21, 2010, 04:33:37 AM »
Hey folks, just registered to make this post. I've found myself with alot of time on my hands recently and have been catching up on my reading. Including both the Dresden Files and Codex Alera. The books along with the games i play have been setting my imagination off like crazy. I have character names and such from playing MMO's and D&D but the rest of my ideas come and go so fast i barely have time to write them down.

Seeing as how im running out of book series' to read i thought i might give a shot to writing my own, i used to write fanfic for Red Alert 2 but those were short and usually had a whole rough draft in an hour or two.

Writing an actual book seems like a daunting process and i dont know how or where to begin. any advice you guys have would be greatly aprreciated.

just wanted to add, im not looking to get published, i just find myself wishing that someone would make a movie like this or write a book about that, and then i thought, why dont i save the wishing and do it myself. even if its only myself and my friends that ever read it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:41:09 AM by Stubs »

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Writing problems...need some advice
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »
back up to the entry web page (or completely exit and re-enter) and across the top is the buttons for forum, Shannon, etc.  Punch up the Jim's Journal.  Start at the bottom and work up.  That will inspire you!  Promise!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Stubs

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:49:31 AM »
thanks

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »
Congratulations on making the decision! :)  Now here are my first two cents:

1. Keep writing.  Let the story be whatever length it takes, and keep writing until it is done.  Try to be consistent about writing each day if you can, but don't put it off forever.

2. Revise later.  Revision during the first draft will only keep you from finishing.  At least this is what I have found.  It isn't the same for everyone. :)

Have fun!
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php