Author Topic: More Minor/ Mundane Effects  (Read 1629 times)

Offline blackheart

• Participant
    • View Profile
More Minor/ Mundane Effects
« on: June 20, 2010, 03:19:43 PM »
OK, so Harry has his flickum bicus spell and "make my pentacle light up" thingy.

What other different minor/mundane spells have anybody come up with?

Such as....
"Open the door to my apartment (only), while locked, when my hands are full of groceries."
"Wave my hands and the drapes close."
"Find my car keys, AGAIN!"
"POOF! The cat hair is gone from my couch!"
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99

Offline sanchez

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: More Minor/ Mundane Effects
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 03:24:40 PM »
he has the one that is passable as a hairdryer
He writa da book to earna da monie to buya da bread to getta da strength to writa da book... :)

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 06:40:05 PM »
If we ignore the fact the Harry has never used magic in this way, despite ample incentive, on the basis that his "blue collar legitimacy complex" makes him believe that such a spell is a form of "cheating", then how about a thaumaturgic spell that warms your clothes as if they were just pulled out of the dryer and/or cools your clothes as if they had just spent the night in the freezer.  It's the perfect spell for making Chicago winters or Atlanta summers bearable by technology-impaired wizards.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline JDdan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:10:50 PM »
If we ignore the fact the Harry has never used magic in this way, despite ample incentive, on the basis that his "blue collar legitimacy complex" makes him believe that such a spell is a form of "cheating", then how about a thaumaturgic spell that warms your clothes as if they were just pulled out of the dryer and/or cools your clothes as if they had just spent the night in the freezer.  It's the perfect spell for making Chicago winters or Atlanta summers bearable by technology-impaired wizards.

He mentions using a spell to refreeze the water in his icebox. Though another comment about not having the time to do it (he was in the middle of a case) does seems to imply that it was more a thaumaturgical effect.
Only those with narrow minds fail to see that the definition of impossible is "Lack of imagination and incentive."
-Dune: Butlerian Jihad

Offline sanchez

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:46:36 PM »
If we ignore the fact the Harry has never used magic in this way, despite ample incentive, on the basis that his "blue collar legitimacy complex" makes him believe that such a spell is a form of "cheating", then how about a thaumaturgic spell that warms your clothes as if they were just pulled out of the dryer and/or cools your clothes as if they had just spent the night in the freezer.  It's the perfect spell for making Chicago winters or Atlanta summers bearable by technology-impaired wizards.

harry discovered the hairdryer spell while trying to teach molly air magic, and yes he does do it when he is investigating the building of marcones that got burnt down by the denarians, he uses the hair dryer spell to move some dust/debris from the pentacle that was burnt into the building. so there  :P
He writa da book to earna da monie to buya da bread to getta da strength to writa da book... :)

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 03:20:23 AM »
I was referring specifically to the two spells I suggested.  Every time he's whined about his cold showers, the discomfort of his duster in summer, or the chilliness of his basement lab, I've  ::).  Magic could easily fix these problems with just a little (really little) bit of ingenuity.  It's just another one of Harry's blind spots, IMO.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 11:12:48 AM »
It's also that he doesn't want to become over-reliant on magic.

There are also practical reasons for it. If Harry's down in his lab, he's going to be working, and having a spell ongoing to keep him warm not only takes away concentration he needs for crafting and thaumaturgy, but also brings with it extra magical energies that could negatively effect the more important work he's doing.

Likewise, if he goes around in the hot Chicago summer with a spell to make himself feel cool despite his duster, that's extra magical energy surrounding him that can cause his car to break down, or make all the items in the window of an electronics store blow up.