Author Topic: Accountability, author's timecard, word count written, feeling lonely out there?  (Read 43740 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
#amwriting for JB forum.

It's 9AM and I'm revising.  Are you?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
#amwriting for JB forum.

It's 9AM and I'm revising.  Are you?

I've been revising this last couple of months; which in some ways is much harder to measure than writing new, because the wordcount doesn't go up in a nice linear progression.

I have however finally got the whole nest of vipers untangle, lined up, and pointing in the same direction for the new project, so go consistent plot; will be going back to it soon as I am finished the revisions on the thing I am now revising.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
11 PM. Wrote about 1700 words today. Would've liked a little more production, but not bad. I was really happy to see one of my characters just come to life. I'd had her concept in mind but hadn't actually written any scenes with her in them till tonight. I was stoked because she just came to life on the page. I really hit one of those awesome moments where I felt like I wasn't writing or crafting, but just recording the events as they unfolded.

About to call it a night, as far as writing goes. But I've still got at least an hour of reading. Then once I'm done reading I've got to write down what I've learned in my work journal. Lately I'm trying to really dissect the works that I read by taking notes and writing down what I've learned in my work journal. It is a little taxing, and takes some of the relaxation out of reading. But hopefully it'll help with my development as a writer in the long run.

Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Reil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Just started writing again last week after months away. Starting a new project, which is really just my old story post-facelift and I need a thread like this.  Only have 1100 words so far because I've run into problem after problem with minor plot devices.  Solved one tonight by replacing a few hundred words, but didn't get to write much new material before midnight rolled around.

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
Arrrg! The web just ate my reply.

Short form,

One Serial done, last episode goes live July 1.

Two novels ready to pitch at Nasfic.

Two "power points" to get ready for panels at Nasfic.

A YA novel is blocked out about Teens in a NM Hs learning magic. Writing starts mid July.

A "Sorcery and Six guns" is blocked out and will be written at the same time.

Yeah I know it is weird, but two novels at a time, seems to work for us.

It is like popcorn, no one I know pops one kernel at a time, writing is the same, with as much as three years from start to finish, for any given project, you need to keep the pipeline full. (Grin)

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Going to lock myself away all weekend. Revisions going well but too slow.  

Friday AM and I'm writing before work.  You?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 12:31:29 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Exhausted but just cranked out another 1000 words before work.

- Jim Morrison

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
Yesterday being a public holiday, I have done one draft of one of the two remaining major edits on Project I am Currently Supposed To Be Working On and a through pass on the subsequent seven chapters, which means all that remains to do is cut the subsidiary climax and restructure and tighten the denouement. (As well as reread what I just did and see whether it makes any sense at all.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 04:10:20 PM by neurovore »

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Reil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Better than me, I only got 500, and yesterday it was all plot and character arc work with very little actual writing.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
I'm back to world building type stuff.  Had read through and started revising some of what I have, and got stuck because I didn't know how something worked.  And procrastinating meant I put it off for about a month.  Now, working on it and procrastinating on wedding stuff.  Yay procrastination.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
I haven't managed to put out more than 350 a day for the entire month of June...
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
I haven't managed to put out more than 350 a day for the entire month of June...

Are you writing daily ?

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Saturday, 11:00 PM. (No, I don't have a life. Not really... ::))

Eh, well after almost giving up the day for a loss due to writer's block and a serious hangover, I managed to crank out over 1000 words. I'm not gonna break my arm patting myself on the back or anything, but something's better than nothing, I suppose.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
Are you writing daily ?

Yes, but I'm not able to get the juice flowing first thing when I wake up, and the morning is when I'm normally most productive.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
I have found that I write in bursts. For the last two projects, one took 25 and the other 42 days. That was to get the basic story on "Paper", the real time came in when we had to get the revisions done, the first took an additional three months of working over, and the second an additional two months. (Real time actual time spent was reduced by real Life tm)

When I am actually putting the story down the first time, slow writing days indicate that I am not "in to" the story, and can indicate that the story has fundamental problems.

But that is for me, every one is different, and what works for me mat not work for any one else.

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?