Author Topic: Aspects per Exchange/Scene?  (Read 1389 times)

Offline blues.soldier

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Action Point-- Gaming from a military perspective
Aspects per Exchange/Scene?
« on: June 10, 2010, 12:11:19 PM »
I own every major publishing of a FATE rules system, so maybe I'm imagining this from another version. Still, the question remains.

Assuming the character has enough Fate points, is there a limit on how many aspects they can pile on during a single exchange? What about a scene? I recall somewhere that an Aspect was only invoke-able once per scene. Is this accurate? Can you supply the reference?

"What ever you do, do it for love. If you keep to that, your path will never wander so far from the light that you can never return.”--Uriel

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Aspects per Exchange/Scene?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 12:17:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can invoke as many different aspects per exchange as you want, as long as the aspects you are invoking fit with what you are doing.  The limitation you might be remembering is that you can only spend one fate point per exchange when you aren't justifying it with an aspect (and this use only gives a +1, instead of +2) (Your Story, page 19).  I don't ever recall seeing any rule about a per scene limitation (some stunts have these, though).
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
Yep, the rule is that any given Aspect can be used once per exchange. No limits on how often it can be used per scene.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 04:20:58 PM »
You can invoke an Aspect once per exchange.

You may invoke as many applicable Aspects per exchange as you wish and can pay for.

You may invoke an applicable Aspect as many times during a scene as you wish and can pay for.

Diaspora has a rule called Scope. Some example Scopes are personal, equipment, scene, etc. You may only invoke a single Aspect per Scope per exchange, so it doesn't matter if your character is "strong as an ox" and "has arms like phone poles" because those are both a personal Scope and so only one can be applied to the same exchange.

Of course, Scopes don't apply to Dresden.

Offline blues.soldier

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Action Point-- Gaming from a military perspective
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:10:26 PM »
Yes-- I think Scope is what I was recalling. Thanks!
"What ever you do, do it for love. If you keep to that, your path will never wander so far from the light that you can never return.”--Uriel