Author Topic: Modular Abilities and Items of Power  (Read 2757 times)

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Modular Abilities and Items of Power
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:56:01 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how to build a "Scion of the Monkey King" character.  Basically, to be consistent with the lore, he should be an expert shapeshifter first and foremost.  Other powers that would make sense are channelling air and water, and an item of power (either one of the three remaining strands of the hair from the monkey king, or the monkey king's staff). 

I'm having trouble figuring out what powers I can give the item of power and shift around with modular abilities while staying within the rules.  I realize most of it is the GM's call, so I want to get as many opinions as I can.

For example, basically I want to build him like this:

[+1] Human Form
[-7] Modular Abilities
[+1] Item of Power: Monkey King's Hair
[-4] True Shapeshifting

So that he can fit into a submerged game and still be fairly effective.  Obviously I'm sketchy as to whether true shapeshifting can be given to an item of power.  It makes perfect sense in the lore though (his hair can become a clone which can shapeshift into any form) but whether it makes sense in the Dresdenverse is more important.

And as for modular abilities, my only real question is whether I can give one of his forms [-2] Channelling or [-3] Evocation.  Of course, if I can't, I can always just give a form [-2] Breath Weapon, but the ability to do more than a weapon2 attack with the elements makes more sense with the legend. 

Thanks for the input.

Offline Ala Alba

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Modular Abilities and Items of Power
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:58:49 PM »
To be honest, I don't think Modular Abilities includes Spellcasting Powers(for the simple reason that it doesn't make much sense).

How big are you thinking that that Hair is? Because a normal size strand of hair would probably be an [+0], due to how easy it is to conceal, IMO. Otherwise I personally don't see any problems, thematically or mechanically, to trying shapeshifting to an Item of Power.

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 11:21:26 PM »
To be honest, I don't think Modular Abilities includes Spellcasting Powers(for the simple reason that it doesn't make much sense).

How big are you thinking that that Hair is? Because a normal size strand of hair would probably be an [+0], due to how easy it is to conceal, IMO. Otherwise I personally don't see any problems, thematically or mechanically, to trying shapeshifting to an Item of Power.

Items of Power don't dip below +1 even if they're super-concealable. The only known exception is the silver denarii, because they cannot be separated from a Denarian except by death or conscious choice. Any power can be attached to an Item of Power with GM approval. Spellcasting abilities are not valid choices for Modular Abilities; it suggests you focus on Creature Features, the physical powers, and "certain Minor Abilities" which likely refer to such as Cloak of Shadows. If your GM reads this section, he is unlikely to approve Modular Spellcasting.

Instead try talking to your GM about abilities like these:

Far Exhalation [-1]
Musts: Breath Weapon

You can use your Breath Weapon up to two zones away. With the expenditure of a Fate Point, you can use your Breath Weapon against any zone in your line of sight.

Empowered Breath [-2]
Musts: Breath Weapon

Your Breath Weapon is Weapon:5 instead of Weapon:2.

Breath Weapon at present is pretty meh, since Inhuman Strength applies to thrown items. OR, as an alternative, drop 2 or 3 points of Modular Abilities and just take Channeling or Evocation if you expect to be using it all the time anyway.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 11:40:51 PM »
Viatos is right about Item of Power, the +1 is because it can be taken away, and a hair crtainly can.

Personally, I  don't allow True Shapeshifting for PCs in my games due to the sheer potential brokenness of having whatever skill pyramid you want (even if that is limited to physical skills), but if your GM is cool with it, then that setup works fine.

You cannot use Modular Abilities for Channeling or Evocation, though I might allow the listed improvements from Viatos, or his suggestion about dropping something for them.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 12:36:08 AM »
Thanks guys.  Another question.  Is spirit magic a +1 or +2 catch to supernatural recovery?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:50:18 AM »
Depends on who knows about it. It's +1 from difficulty of acquisition, then +0 to +2 depending on who knows about it.

Also, bear in mind that a Catch that is always the same will reduce the cost of Toughness abilities bought with your 5 points of Modular Abilities, it won't reduce the Modular Abilities -7 Refresh cost itself.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 05:58:33 AM »
Personally, I  don't allow True Shapeshifting for PCs in my games due to the sheer potential brokenness of having whatever skill pyramid you want

Yeah.  Modular abilities is kind of a crutch in my opinion for true shapeshifting.  I think I'd be much more powerful if I did:

[-2]Channeling (air) human form [+1]; [-4] Superhuman Speed, [-2] Superhuman recovery; Catch: Spirit Magic [+2] Monkey King Staff; [-4] True Shapeshifting... But that'll probably get killed by the GM for obviously trying to break the game.

Offline Ala Alba

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 02:07:17 PM »
I'm not sure how that "breaks" anything.

As far as wizards go, Spirit magic fairly common. True Shapeshifting is limited without modular abilities to support it, although it's great for disguise and stealth.

It's a strong character, but it's a submerged level character, so that's about par for the course.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »
I'm not sure how that "breaks" anything.

As far as wizards go, Spirit magic fairly common. True Shapeshifting is limited without modular abilities to support it, although it's great for disguise and stealth.

It's a strong character, but it's a submerged level character, so that's about par for the course.

Because all you have to do is give your human form high social and knowledge skills and you basically have every skill in the game at superb and great since you can shapeshift as a supplemental action. 

Offline Ala Alba

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 03:07:03 PM »
Because all you have to do is give your human form high social and knowledge skills and you basically have every skill in the game at superb and great since you can shapeshift as a supplemental action.  

But that goes for any character with True Shapeshifting. There is nothing inherently broken about yours.

(With that said, if I were your GM, I'd require justification for any skill set you choose, how it relates to that particular form and so forth.)

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
Yeah. Any build with TS is potentially game breaking.  I was agreeing with Deadmanwalking.  But you're right.  Its only as game breaking as the GM lets it be.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 08:28:14 PM »
True enough to some extent, but most Physical skills are easy to justify at Superb. Maybe not Guns or Weapons (which are still doable, just harder), but just about anything else is dead easy.

And yeah, like I said, if True Shapeshifting is allowed, the character works fine.

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:02:14 PM »
Do you not have to stick to the standard skill structure (column structure) when using the skill shuffle function of Beast Change or True Shapeshifting? I had always assumed you did and as such, two superb skills is perfectly reasonable within the rules.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »
Yes.  But with supplemental shifting maneuvers they're whatever you need them to be.