Author Topic: Champion/Knight of Autumn Court  (Read 3193 times)

Offline rhal

• Participant
    • View Profile
Champion/Knight of Autumn Court
« on: June 05, 2010, 11:54:06 PM »
I am working on a character with the concept of Champion or Knight of the Autumn court. I am getting stalled on the magic part. Obviously, at least to me, it doesn't seem like they can take Seelie Magic or Unseelie Magic. So, I figured it would probably be Sponsored Magic - or something similar. Maybe even make up a new type along the lines of the Seelie and Unseelie. My problem is, what kind of magic, elements, and/or theme would they be based on. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Offline Michael,HandofGod

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Champion/Knight of Autumn Court
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 03:58:03 AM »
I am running into the same sort of issue here.  I was planning on making up a new sponsored magic, "Autumn Magic" with a refresh cost of -4.  Autumn magic would satisfy the Catch of any Spring fae, if you have them, or if they don't exist perhaps you could choose either Summer or Winter beforehand and be effective against one of them.  The specialties would probably be more entropic, as Autumn is a time of harvest and dying.  Perhaps it would be a combination of Summer and Winter--entropy, but with a focus on fire and perhaps a bit of wind?  Summer allows for biomancy thaumaturgy spells to be cast with speed of evocation, and Winter does the same with entropomancy (or whatever the term is.)  I'm not sure what the appropriate equivalent for Autumn would be--perhaps terromancy, relating to the Earth?  I don't know.
I don't believe in things that go bump in the night.  It's more like a thud...

One, two!  One, two!  And through, and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went gallumphing back.
                                            ~Lewis Carroll

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 06:02:43 AM »
Well both Spring and Summer are times of rebirth and growth, so I think Biomancy for both would be fine. Autumn and Winter are times of dying and death, so likewise I think Entropy would be fine for both. No need to overthink it too much.

As for elements, that's more up to you. Don't have my pdfs on this computer, but I'd think of Autumn as mostly similar to Unseelie magic with one or two aspects of Seelie.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 06:16:48 AM »
I'm playing a former High Sidhe of the Autumn Court in a game.  This is how I've done it.

[-4]Summer (Seelie Magic- satisfies the catch against Autumn and Winter)- wildness, growth, renewal, birth, fire
[-4]Winter (UnSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch against Spring and Summer)- decay, slumber, death, entropy, ice
[-4]Autumn (AbSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch against Spring and Summer)- decay, slumber, death, entropy, earth
[-4]Spring (AdSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch of Autumn and Winter)- wildness, growth, renewal, birth, air

Basically, spring brings summer and thus AdSeelie.  Autumn brings winter, thus AbSeelie.  All of the powers other than fire and ice are also associated with spring and autumn from summer and winter, respectively.  To balance it, fire and ice needed to be replaced.  Since Autumn is typically associated with earthen colors and spring needed a unique element, I just gave them earth and air, respectively.

Offline rhal

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:15:14 AM »
I'm playing a former High Sidhe of the Autumn Court in a game.  This is how I've done it.

[-4]Summer (Seelie Magic- satisfies the catch against Autumn and Winter)- wildness, growth, renewal, birth, fire
[-4]Winter (UnSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch against Spring and Summer)- decay, slumber, death, entropy, ice
[-4]Autumn (AbSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch against Spring and Summer)- decay, slumber, death, entropy, earth
[-4]Spring (AdSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch of Autumn and Winter)- wildness, growth, renewal, birth, air

Basically, spring brings summer and thus AdSeelie.  Autumn brings winter, thus AbSeelie.  All of the powers other than fire and ice are also associated with spring and autumn from summer and winter, respectively.  To balance it, fire and ice needed to be replaced.  Since Autumn is typically associated with earthen colors and spring needed a unique element, I just gave them earth and air, respectively.

Interesting idea. That seems like it might be a good idea. Hadn't quite considered it in that light.

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 03:19:27 AM »
Well both Spring and Summer are times of rebirth and growth, so I think Biomancy for both would be fine. Autumn and Winter are times of dying and death, so likewise I think Entropy would be fine for both. No need to overthink it too much.

As for elements, that's more up to you. Don't have my pdfs on this computer, but I'd think of Autumn as mostly similar to Unseelie magic with one or two aspects of Seelie.

I seriously considered playing the Last Champion of Autumn at one point, so I spent quite some time thinking about what Autumn Magic would be like.  This is what I came up with: wildness, fear, harvest, calm/cool, and storms. 

Wildness, because all fae magic is essentially wild. 
Fear, because of Halloween and everything that goes with it.
Harvest, because it's that time of year.  Plants may sprout in Spring and bloom with Summer, but they are collected during Autumn.  Also, Oktoberfest!
Calm/Cool because autumn is a very mild time of year, largely pleasant with only a hint of the Winter to come.  Their magic is great for counter-spells.
Storms, because mighty storms rage at the start of autumn (last half of the Atlantic hurricane season, for one).  Lightning is the primary offensive element of Autumn, but they can also wield the wind and rain.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline digital3lf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 04:21:41 PM »
I was thinking of using Autumn/Spring Courts as the subtle cousins to Winter/Summer. To contrast the Winter/Summer, they would encourage transitions between the seasons, have patriarchal leaders, and not be bound/sworn to attack their opposite (probably dislike them, but realize they are necessary). These subtle Courts are less renowned because they do not follow the extremes of their sister Courts, but could potentially be as nefarious when it comes to maintaining the cycle (IE the Erlking's rampages). I was thinking of using the Erlking the Father/King/Prince (most likely Prince) of Autumn. Perhaps Santa Claus could somehow fit a spring motif.

This is freaking awesome! Very similar to what I had in mind for adding Spring/Autumn magic. I would probably alter it slightly to fit the paradigm I'm trying for. Something like:

[-4]Spring (AdSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch of Autumn and Winter)- renewal, birth, warmth, peace, earth
[-4]Summer (Seelie Magic- satisfies the catch against all other Courts)- growth, chaos, knowledge, abundance, fire
[-4]Autumn (AbSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch against Spring and Summer)- death, hunting, harvest, cleansing, air
[-4]Winter (UnSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch against all other Courts)- decay, slumber, entropy, law, ice

I think this could lead to some very interesting politics/personalities in Faerieland.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 04:49:40 PM »
I'm thinking of statting up my hometown as an independent project and making a short PDF something along the lines of the Neverwhere section of Your Story. I've got a whole ton of it done in my head, but one of the more interesting things that I've recently come up with is the idea of a war in the Nevernever.

Basically, in my sketched out backstory, the Nevernever didn't used to have Faerie as the closest part of it to the real world. Actually, it depended on where you were what was close - in Greece it used to be the Grecian pantheon and in North America it was the world of the Lodgepole, where Coyote lived. None of these areas of the Nevernever were quite so uppity and ambitious of the regions of the Fae in the United Kingdom.

Over the years, they slowly moved into other areas, converting what creatures of the Nevernever that they could, driving back what ones they could, banishing some to walk forever across the Earth and killing even more than that. Through these wars, many of each side fell and was no more - the main reason that the Fae are so eager to breed with humanity is to increase their numbers as this is the only way to do so without an influx of more belief.

Most memorably, Coyote played the four courts of Faerie like a finely tuned fiddle and before he was banished to the earth, managed to kill the King and Grandfather of Autumn his own self. Without the balance, Spring soon fell to other elements. Unfortunately, the world of the Lodgepole also fell and Coyote has walked the earth ever since.

But now, Coyote has a plan. And in a backwards town that nobody really pays attention to, he's gathering the fae who were once Autumn, once Spring, the good people of his past, and the Grecian pantheon, just to name a few. They're going to take back the Nevernever, starting here, starting now. And he has a little power set aside, just for the Lady Knight of Autumn, his new mortal champion.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline blues.soldier

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Action Point-- Gaming from a military perspective
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 10:06:55 PM »
That's a VERY interesting play on Christianity pushing back/eliminating other religions.

I think it's a very cool idea. I'm playing with something similar in my game; the idea that there are a bunch of other, minor entities in the Nevernever who, for one reason or another, don't have the power that Winter and Summer do. They have collectively seen the Big Nastiness that is coming and have banded together to pool their power. This combined might gives them the ability to empower an Emissary. Autumn, Spring, The Wild Hunt, etc. all banding together so they don't get steamrolled bi the Big Bad because Summer and Winter are too busy covering their own asses.
"What ever you do, do it for love. If you keep to that, your path will never wander so far from the light that you can never return.”--Uriel

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
That's a VERY interesting play on Christianity pushing back/eliminating other religions.
Amusingly, although I hadn't intended that, that's one of the reasons that Coyote chose Huntington - the lack of any major presence of Christianity due to the influence of the White Court Family of Guilt taking over the churches in the area. Along with their close brothers, they've made the spirits of humanity very run down and are such much less interesting to the Fae Courts, giving Coyote the perfect place to work unseen.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location