Author Topic: How Many Scions Can You Make?  (Read 13214 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Scions Can You Make?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 06:50:48 PM »
Items:
Force Ring: (Weapon 4, Uses: 4) (2 enchanted item slots)
Lab Coat: (Armor 4, Uses: 4) (2 enchanted item slots)
Shield Crystal (Block 8, Uses: 4) (3 enchanted item slots)
Potion Slot

With Great Lore and no Thaumaturgy Specialties, those Items don't work. You also can't stack two Enchanted Item defenses. On the other hand on Block/Armor effect Items, you get to choose between the two on each use.

With that in mind, here's how I'd do it:

Force Ring (Weapon 4, Uses: 3) (2 enchanted item slots)
Shield Crystal (Block 6 or Armor 3, Uses: 5) (5 enchanted item slots)
1 Potion Slot.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 06:56:32 PM »
With Great Lore and no Thaumaturgy Specialties, those Items don't work. You also can't stack two Enchanted Item defenses. On the other hand on Block/Armor effect Items, you get to choose between the two on each use.

With that in mind, here's how I'd do it:

Force Ring (Weapon 4, Uses: 3) (2 enchanted item slots)
Shield Crystal (Block 6 or Armor 3, Uses: 5) (5 enchanted item slots)
1 Potion Slot.

Oh, I'll change his power to [-3] Thaumaturgy then with a focus in crafting.  I mistakenly thought I still got the specialization with ritual, I just couldn't take another specialization after that.

I forgot about the defense thing.  I'll edit it now.  Thanks for the help again.

Offline Mattastic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 07:43:58 PM »
What would a half-dragon half-human look like? (Submerged.)

Offline feliscon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 08:02:36 PM »
Well we don't really know enough about Dresdenverse Dragons to be sure, but I'd say things like Breath Weapon (obviously), Supernatural Toughness (scaly armoured skin), Supernatural Strength, Human Guise (Ferrovax doesn't always look like a giant winged dinosaur), and quite possibly spellcasting would all be valid options for half-Dragons.

To be honest though, given how powerful WoJ has implied True Dragons to be half-dragons might well not fit into Submerged unless they were really weak examples.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »
What would a half-dragon half-human look like? (Submerged.)

I don't have OW, so it might actually be in there.  The way I'd make one (and I've actually considered it) is like this:

High Concept: Illegitimate Son of Farovax
Trouble: Legitimate Half-Dragon

Skills as human:
Superb: Conviction, Lore
Great: Discipline, Presence
Good: Endurance, Deceit
Fair: Rapport, Alertness, Athletics
Average: Fists, Intimidation, Scholarship, Resources, Survival

Powers: [-3] Evocation (Fire, Spirit, Earth), Human Form [+1]

Beast Change [-1]:
[-4] superhuman toughness
[+3] Catch- Swords of the Cross, True Magic, Running Water
[-1] Breath Weapon (fire)
[-1] Claws
[-1] Wings
[-2] Hulking Size

Skills as Dragon:
Superb: Might, Endurance
Great: Conviction, Weapons
Good: Alertness, Intimidation
Fair: Athletics, Survival, Lore
Average: Presence, Deceit, Resources, Discipline, Scholarship

Focus Items:
Dragon Scale:  (+1 Defensive Control, Spirit)
Focus Bracelet (+1 Offensive Control, Spirit)

Stress in human form:
Mental: 0000
Physical: 0000
Social: 0000

Stress in Dragon Form:

Mental: 0000
Physical: 0000 (0000)
Social: 000
Armor: 00

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 08:42:32 PM »
Well, at one extreme, you could have a character who hasn't come into their power yet.  High Concept: Unwitting Heir to (insert name of dragon here).  Trouble: What you don't know *can* hurt you.  Powers?  Marked by Power at -1, and the option to, much like a changeling, buy appropriate powers further down the line.

The next question, though, is what *kind* of dragon.
Consider a scion of an oriental dragon, for example.  You'd be looking at Draconic Magic (-4 refresh - essentially a sponsored magic variant focusing on water and life magic), Human Guise, Wings (-1 refresh, and note that there are no actual wings here, you can just fly when in dragon form), probably all four physical powers at inhuman level (we'll assume you can find +3 worth of catch on your toughness / recovery powers, so that's another -5 refresh), and a +1 one-time bonus for item of power: a Pearl of Wisdom*, which powers your flight and spellcasting (and probably your inhuman recovery, too).  Total cost is 9 refresh, though there are certainly plausible variations, like dropping inhuman speed and making the pearl of wisdom just a focus item for your spellcasting instead of an out-and-out item of power.

_____
* A full oriental dragon can grow their own pearl of wisdom if theirs gets lost, destroyed, or even just given away as a gift.  A half dragon might be able to do the same, given sufficient time... but it'd be at least on par with recovering from an extreme consequence.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 08:58:47 PM »
Well we don't really know enough about Dresdenverse Dragons to be sure, but I'd say things like Breath Weapon (obviously), Supernatural Toughness (scaly armoured skin), Supernatural Strength, Human Guise (Ferrovax doesn't always look like a giant winged dinosaur), and quite possibly spellcasting would all be valid options for half-Dragons.

To be honest though, given how powerful WoJ has implied True Dragons to be half-dragons might well not fit into Submerged unless they were really weak examples.

One of my character ideas has been a scion of a lesser dragon for waist deep.  Basically just

[-2] inhuman speed, [-1] Beast Change

Human Guise [+1]
[-2] inhuman toughness
[+1] Specific Metal
[-2] Breath Weapon (fire)
[-1] Claws

I think lesser dragons and scions of lesser dragons can fit just fine in anything at waist deep or above.  But true dragon and a scion that had a power similar to that wouldn't fit at all, as you said.  Farovax powers would look more like-

[-3] Evocation (Fire, Earth, Spirit)
[-4] Refinement

Beast Change, Human Form
  • [-1] Claws
    [-1] Wings
    [-8] Physical Immunity,
[+1] True Magic/Faith, Swords of the Cross
[-0] Breath Weapon
[-2] Hulking Size
[-6] Mythic Strength
[-2] Inhuman Speed

But most of that is guessing.  Like you said, we don't really have a clear picture of the power of Dragons, except that Farovax, a high dragon and self declared eldest of dragons (and thus more powerful) basically has the evocation power of a high immortal like the Red King, Odin, or a Faerie Queen.

Offline feliscon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 09:06:04 PM »
I think Ferrovax is WAY above that... In an interview around when Changes came out, Jim was asked who would win if Mab and Ferrovax fought. His answer was something along these lines (not a direct quote)

"If Mab, Lea and Maeve together ambushed Ferrovax at the height of midwinter on the ground of their choosing he would still wipe the floor with them. Ferro is a primal force of nature, in another weightclass"

Which broke my brain for a while, I have to say...

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 09:11:22 PM »
I think Ferrovax is WAY above that... In an interview around when Changes came out, Jim was asked who would win if Mab and Ferrovax fought. His answer was something along these lines (not a direct quote)

"If Mab, Lea and Maeve together ambushed Ferrovax at the height of midwinter on the ground of their choosing he would still wipe the floor with them. Ferro is a primal force of nature, in another weightclass"

Which broke my brain for a while, I have to say...

Wow.  Well I missed that interview, lol.  At that point it's just silly trying to stat him.  You probably need to play either a group with 100 refresh between the four of them or a group of all Knights of the Cross to even think about fighting him.

But remember too that he's probably telling the truth.  He's the eldest Dragon.  So a Farovax scion might be out of the question, but scions of lesser dragons still have a place in the dresdenverse (rpg) I think. 

Offline feliscon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »
Yeah, lesser dragon scions work, but I get the impression that only True Dragons can take human form and are not animalistic enough to avoid a serious squick factor there... However, a half lesser dragon/half komodo dragon would be awsome  ;)

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 09:46:15 PM »
Wow.  Well I missed that interview, lol.  At that point it's just silly trying to stat him.  You probably need to play either a group with 100 refresh between the four of them or a group of all Knights of the Cross to even think about fighting him.

But remember too that he's probably telling the truth.  He's the eldest Dragon.  So a Farovax scion might be out of the question, but scions of lesser dragons still have a place in the dresdenverse (rpg) I think. 

Not necessarily.  remember ferro has all that umph because hes the ELDEST Dragon.    His scion would be a hatchling in comparison for the entire campaign and for millenia after the campaign.  I bet it takes a while to get up to Ferro's mojo level, and thats if youre a full blood Dragon, which a scion wouldn't be ;)

2 cents
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline feliscon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 09:55:18 PM »
Not necessarily.  remember ferro has all that umph because hes the ELDEST Dragon.    His scion would be a hatchling in comparison for the entire campaign and for millenia after the campaign.  I bet it takes a while to get up to Ferro's mojo level, and thats if youre a full blood Dragon, which a scion wouldn't be ;)

2 cents

Good point well made  ;)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 10:13:04 PM »
Oh, I'll change his power to [-3] Thaumaturgy then with a focus in crafting.  I mistakenly thought I still got the specialization with ritual, I just couldn't take another specialization after that.

I forgot about the defense thing.  I'll edit it now.  Thanks for the help again.

Ah, that'll help. Your current version is still a bit off, though. Both should be only 3 uses per session, even with the specialty (though dropping the Weapon rating back to 4 would also work on the first one). And no problem, happy to be of assistance.

As for Dragons, for a Half-Dragon, I'd likely grant Inhuman Strength, Inhuman Toughness, maybe Beast Change with Claws and Wings and Sponsored Magic from their draconic parent. That's only a fraction of their parent's power...but going by the ability to play demigods, that's hardly unusual.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 12:38:13 PM »
Scion of a Grigori and a mage

Scion of Cain (of Abel and Cain infamy, and no, not a vampire)

Scion of Jesus (the greatn grandson of the Son of God)
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline GirlEntropy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2010, 08:07:10 PM »
Just wanted to jump in with my example.  In one of the two Dresden games running in our house (I am running the other)  I am playing an Emissary of Power.  My character is the scion of Loki.  (power level submerged)  His highest stats are all social. And he is rocking the glamours.  So basically he is a pain in the rear trickster.   (he was in fact inspired by the trickster character from Supernatural) AKA: really fun to play!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 08:10:06 PM by GirlEntropy »