Author Topic: Give Us Your Chat Policy Suggestions  (Read 5603 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Give Us Your Chat Policy Suggestions
« on: June 02, 2010, 04:14:18 AM »
What should the policies for the chat area be? My initial thoughts:

- PG-13 (like the rest of the board, really)
- No Touchy Topics (like the rest of the board)
- No dice in the public channel
- Keep colored text to a minimum in the public channel
- Keep your /nick changes to a minimum
- Spoiler conversations only in appropriate channels

What else?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:44:59 PM by iago »
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
Re: Give Us Your Chat Policy Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:39:27 AM »
If possible, place a limit on how many times someone can change their name in a minute.  Or any set length of time, really.  That's the only real annoyance I've come across—a couple members continually changing their usernames.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:40:15 AM »
Just ignore 'em, ME. There'd be someone doing that at just about any given time back in the day when I was a regular in a chatroom, and everyone just ignored it entirely.

Fred, I'd almost be tempted to say "no politics or religion" just like the boards.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »
I second the no politics or religion, although that one's a little more difficult if someone makes a comment on a current event, or something like that, which could bring something of politics in.  Also, I wouldn't necessarily say no/minimal colored text as much as keeping to the more middling colors.  Or, if possible, only having one style available to use.  For myself, and I don't know if others do the same, the colored text helps me keep track of who's saying what.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 01:43:04 PM »
Ah, yes. I was thinking specific-to-chat things; no Touchy Topics is a global policy. I'll add it to the above list.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 01:43:47 PM »
I second the no politics or religion, although that one's a little more difficult if someone makes a comment on a current event, or something like that, which could bring something of politics in.  Also, I wouldn't necessarily say no/minimal colored text as much as keeping to the more middling colors.  Or, if possible, only having one style available to use.  For myself, and I don't know if others do the same, the colored text helps me keep track of who's saying what.

Having experimented with various styles when folks are messing around with the colors, I can safely tell you that -- for my eyeballs, at least -- there are no colors which truly work in all contexts.
Fred Hicks

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »
Having experimented with various styles when folks are messing around with the colors, I can safely tell you that -- for my eyeballs, at least -- there are no colors which truly work in all contexts.

Thoughts based on personal experience (by no means intended to be presented as Authoritative, Definitive "Evidence"), and not directly related to chatroom rules but (IMHO) just as essential to the chat "experience":

Lo these many years ago, back when I frequented a few chatrooms, I noticed that the actual chatbox and text entry box were plain, blank white. Perhaps it's personal preference, but I've always felt that to be the best option. Framing, page, etc., those could be different colors or styles, but the text boxes themselves were simple white/off-white.

Which leads me to the second half of my thoughts - the idea I keep bringing up about allowing users to choose persistent colors/fonts/styles. I found it to be VASTLY helpful in keeping up with a busy, populated chat, so I could know at a glance what was said by whom. The current system, with only one display font/style for all, gets horribly confusing to me when the chat really starts rolling. You could even experiment a little as moderator/designer and limit the choices to higher-readability fonts/styles/colors (i.e., no bright yellow! :D ).

A final addendum that might be linkable to the above: make chat name come directly from forum name, and link the text preferences to that account. Is this even doable? It might also have the added bonus of severely limiting the rapid-fire handle-changing if it's feasible.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 02:29:18 PM »
A final addendum that might be linkable to the above: make chat name come directly from forum name

It does.

, and link the text preferences to that account. Is this even doable?

Not as far as I know.
Fred Hicks

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »
Can you block the ability to change your nick from your forum name altogether?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »
Can you block the ability to change your nick from your forum name altogether?

Maybe. But it has a legitimate purpose for roleplaying chats.
Fred Hicks

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 03:27:18 PM »
I hadn't even thought of that.  I tend to just ignore it myself, but I've been chatting longer than I've been driving, so I'm used to seeing that sort of thing.

Does the chat have provisions for private chat channels?  If so, how far do the rules extend there?  (IE, is it ok to discuss a TT in a private chat channel, or swear up a storm?)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 03:31:37 PM »
Does the chat have provisions for private chat channels?  If so, how far do the rules extend there?  (IE, is it ok to discuss a TT in a private chat channel, or swear up a storm?)

I believe people can create/invite friends to a private chat. I don't intend to police those at all.
Fred Hicks

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
  • Angst Muffin~plot bunny breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 03:36:58 PM »
But do remember, I think admins can see transcripts of private channels so it may be a better idea to take those kinds of things to whatever messenger you and those you're chatting with prefer. 

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 03:39:37 PM »
But do remember, I think admins can see transcripts of private channels so it may be a better idea to take those kinds of things to whatever messenger you and those you're chatting with prefer. 

It might be possible, but believe me I'm not gonna go looking unless complaints are generated. And if they were generated, why did y'all get into a private chat in the first place? :P
Fred Hicks

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
  • Angst Muffin~plot bunny breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 03:44:16 PM »
Eh, true.  Just more work for you and who needs that?