Author Topic: DISPROVE THIS  (Read 107744 times)

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: DISPROVE THIS
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2010, 02:07:01 PM »
I was saying MAB and Murphy have serious bad ass attitude.

You are correct, I screwed up.
Oops!!!!
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 21, 2010, 02:14:55 PM »
lets me gets the boiling oil...
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 21, 2010, 02:38:12 PM »
Thank you Priscellie, for pormoting my hypothesis from 'stupid carp Duck says' to 'neurovore level conspiracy'.

Now, consider what motivations Pris might have for wanting you to think that...

(Fwiw, on the original topic, I think if Molly is a possible general, her gifts are more in the strategy than the field command line.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:46:09 PM by neurovore »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 21, 2010, 02:42:33 PM »
We've finally gauged that level? That sorta frightens me

It's not that hard to scale this on a suitable metaphor.

Random hypotheses are clay golems.  Duck's carp (and that juxtaposition makes me hungry) are flesh golems, creepy in that Frankenstein sort of way. Things PG says are stone golems. Jim's stuff taken out of context is diamond golems. My conspiracies are neutronium golems.

(I couldn't quite make it a Deities and Demigods reference this early in the morning and only half-caffeinated, but will the Immortal Handbook Epic Bestiary do ?)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:58:03 PM by neurovore »

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2010, 02:43:49 PM »
About the potential Molly = Mab thing, how would her Name play into it? I highly doubt that the Name "Molly Carpenter" would survive an ascension ritual (or the run-up to the ascension ritual-- if being tossed backwards several millennia in time wouldn't cause a bit of an identity crisis, I don't know what would...)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 21, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »
bu what about margaret katherine amanda carpenter?
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline Joefoe

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 21, 2010, 03:42:35 PM »
AND ONCE ASCENDED SHE LOSES HER ability to be flexible and is always bound to her nature meaning that her name is locked. Sorry about the caps.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 21, 2010, 04:21:26 PM »
bu what about margaret katherine amanda carpenter?

That either.  ;D
If she doesn't consider herself the same person who was apprenticed to Harry Dresden and who was the daughter of a Knight of the Cross, etc. then her Name would change.

And I think that losing everything she knows would be enough to force her to change, and possibly enough to change her Name.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 21, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
quite possibly

the thing is, we have two precedents:

One, in storm front, JB writes that wizards have four names so as to deal with the true name thing, make it harder to figure out for demons like chauncey.

later, he does this bit about human true names changing, while immortals like Mab do not.

Offline mid_life_crisis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 21, 2010, 05:54:51 PM »
I always thought it was a title.  (just kidding)
M A B
e  s  i
a  s  t
n     c
       h
“Sex is like Bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.” - Mae West
Papa said, "son there's a lot of evil temptations out there in the world.  Best to try 'em all so you know which ones to avoid."
Sweat is fat cells crying.  - T-shirt wisdom

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 21, 2010, 06:02:34 PM »

This just in the desk..going over to weather..yes ronald?

"why yes dave, a giant snowball 600 feet accross just landed on a local house for reasons unknown right out of a clear blue sky.."

Offline sanchez

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 21, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »

One, in storm front, JB writes that wizards have four names so as to deal with the true name thing, make it harder to figure out for demons like chauncey.

ms. duck i thought that the reason harry had four names was just because of the way he was named, but someone like molly who only has three names, how is there a fourth for her?
He writa da book to earna da monie to buya da bread to getta da strength to writa da book... :)

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 21, 2010, 06:41:13 PM »
ms. duck i thought that the reason harry had four names was just because of the way he was named, but someone like molly who only has three names, how is there a fourth for her?

Molly being Catholic could quite plausibly have been baptised with a first and middle name and taken another at Confirmation.

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 21, 2010, 06:45:32 PM »
I think it was in Proven Guilty but Charity was annoyed and yelled all 4 names at Molly.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 21, 2010, 08:58:05 PM »
Unfortunately I really don't see this happening. Occam's Razor may not mean much in the Dresdenverse but damn it, it applies to real life!

Lea is interested in Molly, has been since GP
Molly has powers of illusion, fear, and mind control
..so does Mab. Just to the ^googleplex. In fact, shes famous for it.
Molly has a serious 'thing' for Harry. Almost an obsession.
So does Mab..no wait, it is an obsession.( Mine, MIne, Mine...on HDTV, worldwide)
Mab has many names, Mab is one...not her true name. But she has one.according to JB
Mab is millenia old, and has never been replaced, she may be prehistoric, like in ice age prehistoric.

Lea could probably sense Molly's nascent power.
Psychomancy isn't that rare of a talent, at least some of the White Council's healers are skilled in mind magic (since they have people to repair the damage Peabody did). The only real thing keeping the Council from having some extremely powerful psychomancers is their policy of never actually touching the stuff.
I agree she has a 'thing' for Harry, but when did this 'thing' become an obsession?
Let's see, how many names can you think of for the personification of winter? If the number is less than five you grew up in the desert.
Likely as not she caused the last Ice Age (which we're still in by the way).

speculations:

Harry will sooner or later bend or break all seven of the laws, including time travel..now JB  was kinda snarky bout that but..
The Erlking was human once, and ascended thru ritual, JB implied Mab was as well.
PG has layers within layers, but the big questions is, why Molly?
and why realy did Mab wink at the end?

As I recall, he stated that the reason Mab/Titania are as powerful as they currently are is because they used the Stone Altar as focus power into themselves. Adding on to that, Jim has implied that Mab was once as small and powerless as Toot-Toot, which to me implies that she was once either Wyldfae or simply a very minor Fae.

My pet theory for the human comments are that nature spirits have existed for as long as magic has on Earth, and that they have mated/merged with or simply adapted to the mortal, 'real' life on the physical plane as each successive species becomes dominant on the planet. Mab, in my opinion, was one of the first of the natural spirits of the time to mate with humans (by far the most intelligent creatures on the planet) and gained her power from the Ice Age that was in full swing and the advantages of having a brain much more capable of abstract thought than previously.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."